ImageImageImage

I can't wait for Summer League!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Re: I can't wait for Summer League! 

Post#821 » by LaViggins » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:18 pm

5. Which player in Vegas will ultimately be the best pro?

Arnovitz: Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota. Basketball is played on the court, but listening to the 19-year-old chat postgame with an unusual combo of confidence and humility, it's hard not to see a winner. When suited up, Towns was always the most intuitive player on the floor -- an impressive passer out of double-teams, a defensive presence who will excel at that end, and an unselfish, communicative teammate. There's very little here not to like.

Elhassan: Towns. Don't overthink this one kids, he was drafted No. 1 for a reason.

Foster: Towns. In the absence of sustained dominance, you're looking for flashes. Towns gave us that in a variety of different settings, both as a passer and a finisher, and it's just hard to identify any real significant weaknesses in his game at such a young age. He's easily the safest bet for high-level production in this draft.

Pelton: Towns. The No. 1 overall pick has justified that selection by showing polish at both ends of the court. Of the top picks in Las Vegas, he's been the most productive.

Verrier: Towns. The numbers (12.8 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 2.0 APG) may elicit only tepid takes, but seeing him up close is a whole other experience. He's the biggest guy on the court ... and also the most fluid, the smartest, the most skilled; he's like a Gasol bro in a DeAndre Jordan body. Towns also has a bobbleheaded alter ego. SIGN ME UP.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13279068/recapping-las-vegas-summer-league
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#822 » by Domejandro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:43 pm

AttackTheRack wrote:If you think anyone has looked better than Towns, you're nuts. Str8 Up. It's all been on display. If you can't see it, you can't see it. Simple as.

When looking at Summer-League objectively, I find this to be a silly comment. Many other players were much better on both sides of the court, heck, Jahlil was better on both offense and defense. Karl Anthony-Towns could very well be better in the long run, but he was not the best in Summer-League.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#823 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:59 pm

LaViggins wrote:

Verrier: he's like a Gasol bro in a DeAndre Jordan body

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13279068/recapping-las-vegas-summer-league

k
LaViggins
Senior

Post#824 » by LaViggins » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Domejandro wrote:
AttackTheRack wrote:If you think anyone has looked better than Towns, you're nuts. Str8 Up. It's all been on display. If you can't see it, you can't see it. Simple as.

When looking at Summer-League objectively, I find this to be a silly comment. Many other players were much better on both sides of the court, heck, Jahlil was better on both offense and defense. Karl Anthony-Towns could very well be better in the long run, but he was not the best in Summer-League.

How was Jahlil better defensively?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#825 » by jpatrick » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Towns wasn't even close to the most "dominant" player in SL, but he is still the best prospect and as the ESPN article says, showed enough flashes to justify that ranking. I don't see why people think Okafor was dominating though. He had some pretty footwork, which he had always showed, but his ONLY real above-average skill was low post scoring and in SL he only shot in the low 40% range and had, I think, 20% of his shots blocked.

For me, just like prior to the draft, I think the only prospect close to Towns is Porzingis, who I would have taken #2. I do really like this draft class though. I'm a fan to some extent of all of the top 11, except for Kaminsky, and also think Oubre and Anderson will outplay their draft positions.
bake51
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#826 » by bake51 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Domejandro wrote:

I can see how you would say Okafor was more consistent and better on offense but I just don't see how you think he was better on the defensive end. Towns showed more than Okafor on defense IMO.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#827 » by Domejandro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:36 pm

LaViggins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

He was better at positional defense, and his pick and roll defense was rather solid. In addition, he played very well in the post on defense.

Jahlil Okafor did a damn solid job. It is not a slight to Karl Anthony-Towns, but his defense was simply not as good in my opinion.

I will say Karl Anthony-Towns had much more impressive flashes on defense, but all around, I simply felt Jahlil Okafor did a better job all-around.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#828 » by AQuintus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:51 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/623518838680752128[/tweet]
LaViggins
Senior

Post#829 » by LaViggins » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Domejandro wrote:
LaViggins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:When looking at Summer-League objectively, I find this to be a silly comment. Many other players were much better on both sides of the court, heck, Jahlil was better on both offense and defense. Karl Anthony-Towns could very well be better in the long run, but he was not the best in Summer-League.

He was better at positional defense, and his pick and roll defense was rather solid. In addition, he played very well in the post on defense.

Jahlil Okafor did a damn solid job. It is not a slight to Karl Anthony-Towns, but his defense was simply not as good in my opinion.

I will say Karl Anthony-Towns had much more impressive flashes on defense, but all around, I simply felt Jahlil Okafor did a better job all-around.

So basically Nikola Pekovic... I go for the guy who makes game changing defensive plays, plays that swing the momentum. IMO based off the summer league Towns defense will transfer to the NBA, I dont know if I can say the same about Okafor.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#830 » by Domejandro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:01 pm

LaViggins wrote:So basically Nikola Pekovic... I go for the guy who makes game changing defensive plays, plays that swing the momentum. IMO based off the summer league Towns defense will transfer to the NBA, I dont know if I can say the same about Okafor.

Oh, I fully agree that in the long run Karl Anthony-Towns will most certainly be the better defensive player, do not get me wrong. I was just replying to the one comment that said Karl Anthony-Towns was absolutely the best player in Summer-League and that you would be "nuts" to believe otherwise. I was just making a statement that there is little basis for the comment.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#831 » by urinesane » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Domejandro wrote:
LaViggins wrote:So basically Nikola Pekovic... I go for the guy who makes game changing defensive plays, plays that swing the momentum. IMO based off the summer league Towns defense will transfer to the NBA, I dont know if I can say the same about Okafor.

Oh, I fully agree that in the long run Karl Anthony-Towns will most certainly be the better defensive player, do not get me wrong. I was just replying to the one comment that said Karl Anthony-Towns was absolutely the best player in Summer-League and that you would be "nuts" to believe otherwise. I was just making a statement that there is little basis for the comment.

I don't think he had the best Summer League, but he was better than Okafor on defense.

That being said, Okafor did look better on D than in college.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves