The 5-step plan

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Re: The 5-step plan 

Post#61 » by Note30 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:04 pm

1. Draft Towns
2. Try to trade Martin and the 2nd picks and any other assets (three way with Boston) for a combo of WCS, Tony Allen, and Dave Joerger (coaching trade can wait till next season). Trade to clear Bennett, Budinger, or Pekovic.
3. KG and Corey Joseph this year.
4. Dave Joerger
5. Thanks for Wiggins, good luck in Cleveland, but it just wouldn't work.

Run some lineup of

Rubio/Joseph/Brown
LaVine / Allen
Wiggins/ Shabazz
Towns / Bjelica / Payne
KG/WCS/Dieng
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#62 » by packforfreedom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:34 am

I'd only trade Martin if LaVine gets the start.

Gibson just had surgery I don't have a good feeling about him. I think I'd rather roll with a KG/Payne combo for next season and make finding a starting PF the main task for next offseason.

On the coaching side, I'm all in for JVG. Love this guy.
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#63 » by jmoy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Why all the Kevin Martin hate? He is a 40% 3pt shooter, which is more important every year in the NBA, is a 20pt a night scorer and only makes 7mil a year. His game will translate well as he ages(shooting, little athleticism and small amount of physical contact) and he should be able to perform well for another 5+ years eventually becoming a spot shooter off the bench getting veteran minimums. Unless the Wolves get a great deal for him, I would be happy to keep him for the next two years as Levine takes over at SG and the Wolves become a playoff level team and then resign him for a MLE or something similar as he ages and just wants to play somewhere he likes and can win. Yes, he is not a great defender but as a spot up shooter and scorer, he would be very valuble to a team like the Wolves who don't have any shooters to being with.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#64 » by mondry » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:21 pm

jmoy wrote:Why all the Kevin Martin hate? He is a 40% 3pt shooter, which is more important every year in the NBA, is a 20pt a night scorer and only makes 7mil a year. His game will translate well as he ages(shooting, little athleticism and small amount of physical contact) and he should be able to perform well for another 5+ years eventually becoming a spot shooter off the bench getting veteran minimums. Unless the Wolves get a great deal for him, I would be happy to keep him for the next two years as Levine takes over at SG and the Wolves become a playoff level team and then resign him for a MLE or something similar as he ages and just wants to play somewhere he likes and can win. Yes, he is not a great defender but as a spot up shooter and scorer, he would be very valuble to a team like the Wolves who don't have any shooters to being with.

It's all pretty much based around the idea of him being a starter and taking minutes away from Lavine or anyone else that is a larger part of the future. As a 6th man coming off the bench Martin makes a lot of sense for the stats you listed. He's a chucker though and a black hole in the starting lineup. Yes the numbers look good but he often down right kills the offensive flow.

However, Flip himself says he envisions Martin coming off the bench, especially as he gets older, so it's up to Martin to accept that role and help our team. It may not be this year though, I think he'll likely be forced to the 6th man next year, although there's also a good chance he gets traded if a decent deal comes around.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#65 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:39 pm

I'd rather keep Martin here just in case Lavine isn't ready to take that next step. He is only 20 after all. Martin is here if we're trying to make a playoff push (Which I think we are, look at the team we have + KG coming back would be a telling sign that we want to make a run for the PO)
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

The 5-step plan 

Post#66 » by Streakers33 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:51 am

There no hate on Martin by any actual basketball guys. It's the fickle fans who push for moves all the time. We got Martin years ago with the intentions of being our sixth man and never could get him on the second unit cuz staying healthy isn't something we do here. 18ppg career average screams sixth man of the year for a championship team for 7 million a year. So that answers the hate convo
Otherwise I do see him being moved. As this is so going to be the youth push movement. They were rookies last year and this is step up year for the youth. Taj isn't coming here cuz we paid a lot for Payne. And we have kg coming back and Bennett. And a freakn euro mvp at that position. I'm not sure what the Bulls are gonna do to keep butler. But I could see them moving someone. But I see it more as Noah. I could be wrong. But we will all see. I see Martin going to someone like the cavs for Haywood's contract. Idk why. But I see it. I also stuck on an idea that we gonna help the nets move their expensive pieces.
I know I am wrong their but I have some weird feelings. Lol

Hmm klove back here? I don't see it at all. But I wouldn't hate his talent on this squad. Even more so if cavs want Payne/Bennett/bj back for him. At least klove would look better with towns cleaning up his defense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#67 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:04 am

jmoy wrote:Why all the Kevin Martin hate? He is a 40% 3pt shooter, which is more important every year in the NBA, is a 20pt a night scorer and only makes 7mil a year. His game will translate well as he ages(shooting, little athleticism and small amount of physical contact) and he should be able to perform well for another 5+ years eventually becoming a spot shooter off the bench getting veteran minimums. Unless the Wolves get a great deal for him, I would be happy to keep him for the next two years as Levine takes over at SG and the Wolves become a playoff level team and then resign him for a MLE or something similar as he ages and just wants to play somewhere he likes and can win. Yes, he is not a great defender but as a spot up shooter and scorer, he would be very valuble to a team like the Wolves who don't have any shooters to being with.

He can put up stats on a bad tem, but I think in a playoff series he would be borderline unplayable because teams could isolate him on defense.

Personally, I prefer Wiggins at the 2 and Bazz at the 3, with Lavine off the bench. I'd trade Martin and play Budinger as the back up SF.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,883

Post#68 » by Klomp » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:14 am

Krapinsky wrote:He can put up stats on a bad tem, but I think in a playoff series he would be borderline unplayable because teams could isolate him on defense.

OK, so in these playoffs, here are the guys he would be isolated on:

1. GSW - Harrison Barnes
2. HOU - Trevor Ariza
3. LAC - Matt Barnes
4. POR - Nicolas Batum
5. MEM - Tony Allen
6. SAS - Danny Green
7. DAL - Monta Ellis
8. NOP - Quincy Pondexter

In most of those cases, if teams want to run iso ball through the worst of their two wing players, be my guest.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#69 » by Saltine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:11 am

Martin is very good at getting fouled and making FT's, he has a nice outside shot and excellent touch when cutting. He'd be great off the bench for a playoff team, Cleveland and Chicago certainly could have used him.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

The 5-step plan 

Post#70 » by Streakers33 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:15 am

Agreed with salt. Period. Flip isn't moving him till they pay us for him. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#71 » by Saltine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:30 am

Yep, you head over to the Chicago forum and they will gladly gift wrap Taj for Martin... they are desperate for someone who can make shots. He's the best SG we've ever had, and yes, his defense sucks, if he did play great Defense he'd be making Dwyane Wade money, not $7m. He's a shooting guard.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#72 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:46 am

The main reason I'd like to get rid of Martin is his inability stay healthy, he's just unreliable. Secondary reason is him being a chucker and stealing the shots of our young core. I'd prefer a versatile PG/SG like Vasquez on this team.
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#73 » by jmoy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:37 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies about Martin. I have just always loved his shooting and scoring for only 7mil. He just needs to have batter players around him so he doesn't have to do all the scoring and can sit and shoot, like he did for OKC for that one year. his percentages were great that year and I think he could do that for a few more years considering how he plays.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#74 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Klomp wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:He can put up stats on a bad tem, but I think in a playoff series he would be borderline unplayable because teams could isolate him on defense.

OK, so in these playoffs, here are the guys he would be isolated on:

1. GSW - Harrison Barnes
2. HOU - Trevor Ariza
3. LAC - Matt Barnes
4. POR - Nicolas Batum
5. MEM - Tony Allen
6. SAS - Danny Green
7. DAL - Monta Ellis
8. NOP - Quincy Pondexter

In most of those cases, if teams want to run iso ball through the worst of their two wing players, be my guest.

I guess you've never heard of the pick and roll.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves