ImageImageImage

**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#361 » by Murphs56 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:16 am

I was very pleased with what I saw from Towns. A lot better in the post than I expected. His outside shot was off, but that's one of his strengths so I expect that to improve. The defense was decent, with some bad moments but I also expect that to improve when he has plus defenders like Rubio, Wiggins and KG on the floor with him
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,558

Post#362 » by sikma42 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:09 am

ZellJr wrote:
Note30 wrote:
ZellJr wrote:I've noticed this too. Okafor has made good use of it as well in summer league play.

It's often there for Towns. He should take it more often.

He does need to practice his post up stance, when you watch towns, you'll notice he doesn't keep his pivot foot ahead of the defenders, so it's hard to turn quickly when you don't have something you can roll off of. He also has this bad tendency to push his elbows out when he goes up, he needs to work on these, it's why he doesn't look fluent when posting up, I'm sure considering he's Always been a face up or perimeter player its a little awkward and because he only recently started playing that way, (after high school) he seems less fluid, but if we do get a decent big man coach he'll look way more fluid in two three years

It's interesting to see if he makes the strides or if he finds ways to produce despite the flaws in the post. Anthony Davis has similar issues in the post but still manages to find ways to be a beast inside and from the elbow.

I would actually compare Towns's post game to Bynum's. Bynum doesn't shoot the jumper from the post, but his movement and attacking options are quite a bit like Towns's.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPhM1Y8EUdw[/youtube]

Nearly identical post games. That said, it would be quite a success for the Wolves if Towns produces in the pain with Bynum's effectiveness. Especially if he can add that effective dropstep that Bynum used on Shaq in the early second of the video.

they did go to the same high school lol (yes...i know Bynum learned a ton from Kareem).
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,558

Post#363 » by sikma42 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:13 am

Klomp wrote:Going into last season, did anyone here think Andrew Wiggins would be strong enough to post up defenders? I don't remember that ever being considered. Just a month into the season, he was finding success against some of the better defenders in the league (Tony Allen) and guys 30-40 pounds heavier than him (Rudy Gay). One year later, it's one of the strongest aspects of his offensive game. I could see a similar progression from Towns.

Strength is overrated in the post. You can't be egregiously overmatched but skill can make up for a lot. see: Kobe posting up power forwards while weighing 210 pounds. Towns knows what he is doing down there, I actually think he is an underrated post player right now. People will see it during the year but he is gonna score well down there and score on people that will surprise you.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#364 » by Note30 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:43 am

sikma42 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Going into last season, did anyone here think Andrew Wiggins would be strong enough to post up defenders? I don't remember that ever being considered. Just a month into the season, he was finding success against some of the better defenders in the league (Tony Allen) and guys 30-40 pounds heavier than him (Rudy Gay). One year later, it's one of the strongest aspects of his offensive game. I could see a similar progression from Towns.

Strength is overrated in the post. You can't be egregiously overmatched but skill can make up for a lot. see: Kobe posting up power forwards while weighing 210 pounds. Towns knows what he is doing down there, I actually think he is an underrated post player right now. People will see it during the year but he is gonna score well down there and score on people that will surprise you.

He was drafted 1st overall with the majority of our fan base yelling at Flip to get it done. Then a poll surveys all GMs and Towns is a consensus 1st overall. Hardly underrated.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,925

Post#365 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:20 am

Note30 wrote:He was drafted 1st overall with the majority of our fan base yelling at Flip to get it done. Then a poll surveys all GMs and Towns is a consensus 1st overall. Hardly underrated.

Underrated in the post is what he was saying, not his all-around game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#366 » by Note30 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:He was drafted 1st overall with the majority of our fan base yelling at Flip to get it done. Then a poll surveys all GMs and Towns is a consensus 1st overall. Hardly underrated.

Underrated in the post is what he was saying, not his all-around game.

My bad.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Minnesotadrake
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#367 » by Minnesotadrake » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:21 pm

KAT.....Russell and Mayweather at the J cole show last night
AttackTheRack
Junior
And1: 82

Post#368 » by AttackTheRack » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Kid's vision is incredible. He's got the All Seeing Eye - like Sauron, or some ****. It just comes naturally. His passes are gonna' bring people out of their seats this year. He and Rubio are gonna fling the ball around so fast, you won't even be able to see it. And Wiggins is a willing and able passer, too. Lots of fun.
The Tooth
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#369 » by The Tooth » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:35 pm

His passing absolutely shocked me. Kentucky was absolutely hiding a lot of his strengths. He looks like he could be one of the GOAT passing big men (I know it's wayyyyyy too early to make that proclamation), and that came totally out of left field.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#370 » by Feilong » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:09 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWjkb9Wue3Q&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#371 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:23 am

That Towns highlight reel has some good stuff and Payne seemed to compliment in terms of moving the ball well. Lavine and Wiggins should get some looks if they are active off the ball.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#372 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 pm

SI: What excites you about 2015 No. 1 pick Karl-Anthony Towns?

RR: "I like guys who can shoot the ball. Having Kevin Love really helped stretch the floor. I think Towns is a better fit [than No. 3 pick Jahlil Okafor] because of that. Okafor is more like [Nikola] Pekovic, a strong guy down in the post. Towns is a guy we don’t have."

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/13/ricky-rubio-minnesota-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-andrew-wiggins
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#373 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:24 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nikebasketball/status/628254804419022848[/tweet]

big_ticket
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#374 » by big_ticket » Tue Aug 4, 2015 4:53 am

i miss that ebi guy haha
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#375 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 6, 2015 8:50 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PDWolves/status/629153190169190401[/tweet]

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#376 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 9, 2015 5:56 am

funfactor
Junior
And1: 76

Post#377 » by funfactor » Sun Aug 9, 2015 1:13 pm

Not really high but good agility nonetheless.

That spear-shoes!!! it's evil-clown like.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#378 » by theGreatRC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 am

Klomp wrote:

The fact that he's 6'11 makes this even more impressive than him finishing with his left hand, not to mention doing an Eastbay
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#379 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:34 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB-L2W68754[/youtube]

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Could KAT and KG be the new Duncan and Robinson? Old guy mentoring new for a few years before old guy takes ownership stake in team. Catapult a small-market franchise to the top of the NBA. KAT might already have his Manu and Parker, too.

Best-case scenario, but it would be a pretty good one...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves