The Mightiest of Draft Day Bonanza Threads

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,963

The Mightiest of Draft Day Bonanza Threads 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 am

Just a few tired and ridiculous thoughts that came into mind whilst desperately attempting to reenter the NBA Draft Lottery. The first trade was posted on the "Trades and Transactions" board here whilst the rest of the post is a slew of tired babbling based on luck and laced with hypotheticals. Nonetheless, this is my dream Draft (most notably the final hypothetical towards the bottom of the page).

MIN: Gerald Wallace, #16, #21
OUT: Kevin Martin, #36

DAL: #36
OUT: Raymond Felton, #21

BOS: Brendan Haywood, #24
OUT: Gerald Wallace, #16

CLE: Kevin Martin, Raymond Felton
OUT: Brendan Haywood, #24

Why for Minnesota? Minnesota takes back Gerald Wallace's dreadful, albeit expiring, deal and trades Kevin Martin for two middling, First Round Draft Picks. This therefor allows them to have the #16, #21, #31, and Euro-League MVP Nemanja Bjelica to trade to move further forward within the Draft.

Why for Cleveland? Cleveland cashes in on their unguaranteed contract in Brendan Haywood for a highly-efficient twenty point scorer in Kevin Martin. Though taking back the bad Raymond Felton, he does give them another body at the Point-Guard position and is in his contract year.

Why for Boston? Boston drops eight selections in the Draft to dump Gerald Wallace's ten point one million dollar contract. In addition, they obtain Brendan Haywood's contract to utilize in various trades, or simply cut all together. Admittedly, this seems to go against the reports of them aspiring to move forwards in the Draft, but cutting over ten million dollars for only eight selections is very good value. This deal makes Boston's cap hit exactly $31,248,267 (assuming of course they waive Brendan Haywood's $10,522,500 and Chris Babb's $947,276 though both could be saved to move to another team in need of cap space). This effectively gives them just over thirty-five million dollars in free-agency, which is just under fifty million of the tax level (I am using the number 65.5 and 81 million, so please correct me if I am utilizing the incorrect numbers).

Why for Dallas? Dallas eliminates Raymond Felton's 3.95 million dollar deal and gains a small Traded Player Exception, but drops from the twenty-first pick all the way to the thirty-sixth pick. If this is too steep, Minnesota could always incorporate Miami's 2016 Second Round Draft Pick.

From there Minnesota would have the assets of #16, #21, #31, and Euro-League MVP Nemanja Bjelica. From there, there is a multitude of different paths to take to go higher within the Draft. Most I will describe are slightly unrealistic, but still fairly reasonable if you have the same evaluation of Nemanja Bjelica's trade value as I do (I often believe it is highly understated). I will add reasons, but I am fairly tired at the moment.

Number One:
MIN: #8
OUT: Nemanja Bjelica, #16, #21

DET: Nemanja Bjelica, #16, #21
OUT: #8

Final Assets: #8, #31
My Draft: Stanley Johnson, Robert Upshaw
Hypothetical: #8 and Anthony Bennett for #6 and Carl Landry? Small incentive their way as well?
Draft Hype: Willie 'Trill' Cauley-Stein, Robert Upshaw

MIN: #9
OUT :Nemanja Bjelica, #16

CHA: Nemanja Bjelica, #16
OUT: #9

Final Assets: #9, #21, #31
My Draft: Stanley Johnson. Rashad Vaughn, Robert Upshaw

MIN: #14
OUT: Nemanja Bjelica, #21

OKC: Nemanja Bjelica, #21
OUT: 14

Final Assets: #14, #16, #31
Fallout: Try to trade #14 and #16 to try to net a higher selection.
Draft: Frank Kaminsky/Trey Lyles or Myles Turner if he fell, Cameron Payne or Tyus Jones, and Robert Upshaw (see the trend?).
Hypothetical: #14 and #16 to Denver for the #7? Take Hickson off of their hands for Kevin Love's TPE?
DraftH: Emmanuel Mudiay if he fell and Robert Upshaw

MIN: #15, Minnesota Timberwolves 2018 NBA Draft Pick (1-14 protected)
OUT: Nemanja Bjelica, #21, #31

ATL: Nemanja Bjelica, #21, #31
OUT: #15, Minnesota Timberwolves 2018 NBA Draft Pick (1-14 protected)

Final Assets: #15, #16, the key to our handcuffs.
My Draft: Frank Kaminsky/Trey Lyles or Myles Turner if he fell, Cameron Payne or Tyus Jones; buy a damn pick to get Robert Upshaw.
Fallout: Try to trade #15 and #16 to try to net a higher selection.
Hypothetical One: #15, #16, and Adreian Payne for #7 and J.J. Hickson (Hah, probably not happening, I would throw in more of course this is just the basis. Perhaps throwing a slightly protected pick in 2020 would finish things off.)
Hypothetical Two: #7 and Anthony Bennett for #5, Channing Frye, and Luke Ridnour
Hypothetical Three: #5 and Minnesota Timberwolves' 2018 Unprotected First Round Pick for #3 Overall Pick from the Philadelphia 76ers (assuming D'Angelo Russell is Drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers).
Draft: Your pick of Jahlil Okafor or Kristaps Porzingis and just force Papa Glen to get Robert Upshaw on the cheap.

Just off of my final Hypothetical roster (though I will add all rosters to all later).

Ricky Rubio/Luke Ridnour/Lorenzo Brown
Andrew Wiggins/Zach LaVine
Shabazz Muhammad/Robbie Hummelnator/Chase Budinger
Karl Anthony Towns/Kevin Garnett/Channing Frye
Jahlil Okafor/Gorgui Dieng/J.J. Hickson

Injured: Nikola Pekovic (would take J.J. Hickson and Channing Frye's minutes).
Possibly Integrated: Robert Upshaw

OR

Ricky Rubio/Luke Ridnour/Lorenzo Brown
Andrew Wiggins/Zach LaVine
Shabazz Muhammad/Robbie Hummelnator/Chase Budinger
Kevin Garnett/Kristaps Porzingis/Channing Frye
Karl Anthony Towns/Gorgui Dieng/J.J. Hickson

Injured: Nikola Pekovic (would take J.J. Hickson and Channing Frye's minutes).
Possibly Integrated: Robert Upshaw

Thoughts? As stated a few of the trades are skewed in Minnesota's favour and need a final incentive, so any ideas to fix value are appreciated. Albeit in a weaker Draft, the #14 and #21 netted Utah the ninth pick, so that is the primary reasoning of the #7 for the #15 and #16.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: The Mightiest of Draft Day Bonanza Threads 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:20 pm

I think there's a solid chance we could get into the top 10, but it'd involve making tough decisions on guys like Dieng, Muhammad, and Ricky. With this group, anything inside the lotto, or maybe even top 20, seems a bit hopeful.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves