Neither
26%

Total votes: 109

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Re: The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#281 » by Saltine » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:09 am

How about that Anthony Randolph? 21 and 6 going against an elite talent like Bennett, not bad for a never was... if he could just play with a better PG that respected his talent, stupid GM's.
:P
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Re: Re: The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#282 » by Vindicater » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38 am

mercgold3 wrote:
Vindicater wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
And Payne ?

Payne does not help either.

However, I see glimmers in Payne. I see him capabale of becoming a hustle big off the bench. I don't see that for Bennett.

We see different things than ;)

The beauty of opinions.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Kiwi Wolf
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#283 » by Kiwi Wolf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:23 pm

Take Bennett think better player, make this judgement without taking into account salary amounts ,as we are under the cap and can afford to wait.Going be interesting how well Bennett goes with proper pg and fully functioning side. If we get great trade deal take it. But what would Payne be worth as a trade?
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#284 » by mandurugo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Saltine wrote:How about that Anthony Randolph? 21 and 6 going against an elite talent like Bennett, not bad for a never was... if he could just play with a better PG that respected his talent, stupid GM's.

Anthony Randolph is now 26 and had opportunities on several teams, but he was never quite able to put it together the way people hoped he would. This could become Bennett's fate, but I still think it's too soon to write him off. One more failed season and it might become a pretty apt comparison though.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#285 » by guille_4 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Bjelica?
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#286 » by NBACommissioner » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Saltine wrote:How about that Anthony Randolph? 21 and 6 going against an elite talent like Bennett, not bad for a never was... if he could just play with a better PG that respected his talent, stupid GM's.

Yea except he cost his team the game when Bennett blocked the **** out of him late in the 4th and recovered the ball when he had a wide open three that would have won it for the US.
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#287 » by NBACommissioner » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Kiwi Wolf wrote:Take Bennett think better player, make this judgement without taking into account salary amounts ,as we are under the cap and can afford to wait.Going be interesting how well Bennett goes with proper pg and fully functioning side. If we get great trade deal take it. But what would Payne be worth as a trade?

Payne is worth a 2nd rounder I think.. There`s no way anyone will give up a first like the Wolves did for a 24 year old low IQ/poor rebounder...and I doubt he gets traded while Flip is the coach unfortunately (unless bennett shows his worth)
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#288 » by horaceworthy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:04 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:I think he pretty much has to be traded at this point because if Flip doesn't pick up his option and he plays very well than he'll leave for nothing. If Flip does pick up his option than he pretty much has to trade someone else because there is no room for Bennett to get the opportunity to live up to the money. Also, there's another factor to this his trade value will be significantly lower if the team he is traded to doesn't get to make the decision on his option (meaning he's more valuable now than mid season). To sum it up his play in the Fiba Americas will decide his fate and I don't see why he wouldn't excel there with all the additional talent Canada will be adding. He will also get to showcase his chemistry with the Wolves Future Wiggins so it'll be a huge chance for him. Playing well with Cory Joseph could also get the Raptors interested. Either way I doubt he's moved until after the Tournament.

The Wolves will likely have enough room under the cap next offseason to sign Bennett if he breaks out even if his option isn't picked up, so while deciding on his option will impact his trade value (which is likely negligible at this point anyway), not picking it up doesn't mean he has to be traded. It just means that Bennett will be able to choose his destination rather than the Wolves having the right of first refusal.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#289 » by NBACommissioner » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

horaceworthy wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:I think he pretty much has to be traded at this point because if Flip doesn't pick up his option and he plays very well than he'll leave for nothing. If Flip does pick up his option than he pretty much has to trade someone else because there is no room for Bennett to get the opportunity to live up to the money. Also, there's another factor to this his trade value will be significantly lower if the team he is traded to doesn't get to make the decision on his option (meaning he's more valuable now than mid season). To sum it up his play in the Fiba Americas will decide his fate and I don't see why he wouldn't excel there with all the additional talent Canada will be adding. He will also get to showcase his chemistry with the Wolves Future Wiggins so it'll be a huge chance for him. Playing well with Cory Joseph could also get the Raptors interested. Either way I doubt he's moved until after the Tournament.

The Wolves will likely have enough room under the cap next offseason to sign Bennett if he breaks out even if his option isn't picked up, so while deciding on his option will impact his trade value (which is likely negligible at this point anyway), not picking it up doesn't mean he has to be traded. It just means that Bennett will be able to choose his destination rather than the Wolves having the right of first refusal.

There's no way he's going to reward the Wolves for not picking up his option if he breaks out. If he breaks out without an option he's gone so he'll have to be traded at the deadline and I don't know what value he'd have consider he's a UFA and only would have proven himself for a few games.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#290 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Maybe not, but I'm sure there are other issues that would be considered. Is he just going to walk away from the Wolves if they offer him the most money? Or how does he feel about his teammates?
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#291 » by horaceworthy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:There's no way he's going to reward the Wolves for not picking up his option if he breaks out. If he breaks out without an option he's gone so he'll have to be traded at the deadline and I don't know what value he'd have consider he's a UFA and only would have proven himself for a few games.

He wouldn't be rewarding the Wolves in that scenario. He'd be signing a contract that would likely represent a decent raise over the option if this year's offseason is any indication.

Constantly pumping Bennett's tires then saying the Wolves have to trade him while he has negligible value seems to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#292 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 am

horaceworthy wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:There's no way he's going to reward the Wolves for not picking up his option if he breaks out. If he breaks out without an option he's gone so he'll have to be traded at the deadline and I don't know what value he'd have consider he's a UFA and only would have proven himself for a few games.

He wouldn't be rewarding the Wolves in that scenario. He'd be signing a contract that would likely represent a decent raise over the option if this year's offseason is any indication.

Constantly pumping Bennett's tires then saying the Wolves have to trade him while he has negligible value seems to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.

All i'm saying is the Wolves decisions now could hurt them for the future if he turns it around. I think trading him is the best thing especially if he does well in the Fibas because that's legit competition and his value will go up in that even more than the Pan am's. Canada will have the best team on paper for that so if they win gold and Bennett's a big part of that his value is sure to increase. Of course the Wolves may want to keep him too seeing as it's a contract year and he appears to have put in a lot of work in the offseason. If they pick up his option than what happens to Payne this 5 PF lineup (if Towns is included) is a mess and the wolves are going to need to commit to someone. Wolves PF depth IMO looks like this right now KG/Bennett/Bjelica (don't know what to expect from him or if he'll even see much PF)/ Payne. I don't know how Flip see's it but it's worth noting that Payne didn't beat Bennett out for Minutes last year he only got the time because of injuries. When Bennett came back Flip started him and I think the KG trade had a lot to do with Bennett,
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#293 » by andyhop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:12 am

If anybody around the league thought Bennett had any value he wouldn't still be on the Wolves, the fact that he is still here means that noone thinks he is worth much of anything
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#294 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:17 am

andyhop wrote:If anybody around the league thought Bennett had any value he wouldn't still be on the Wolves, the fact that he is still here means that noone thinks he is worth much of anything

Or maybe the right offer didn't show up. Bennett being available doesn't mean we are willing to give Bennett away for nothing.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#295 » by andyhop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 am

mercgold3 wrote:
andyhop wrote:If anybody around the league thought Bennett had any value he wouldn't still be on the Wolves, the fact that he is still here means that noone thinks he is worth much of anything

Or maybe the right offer didn't show up. Bennett being available doesn't mean we are willing to give Bennett away for nothing.

I think we would be delighted to give him away for nothing, he just doesn't have that value
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#296 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:24 am

No, it just doesn't make sense to trade him when he has another chance to showcase his ability at the Fiba Game next month. Why trade him before that? Chances are Canada will do well and Bennett will probably perform better there than the Pan am games due to the extra talent around him. That team will likely have Cory Joseph, Nik Stauskas, Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Possibly Jamal Murray, Possibly Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell, Kelly olynk, Robert Sacre, etc.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Re: The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#297 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

andyhop wrote:I think we would be delighted to give him away for nothing

That would be stupid.
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#298 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:28 am

andyhop wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

I think we would be delighted to give him away for nothing, he just doesn't have that value

I would be that's for sure...if it's to the Raptors.
andyhop
Analyst

Post#299 » by andyhop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:32 am

mercgold3 wrote:

That would be stupid.

The cap space is vastly more valuable than Bennett
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#300 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:34 am

andyhop wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

That would be stupid.

The cap space is vastly more valuable than Bennett

Right now? Probably not