Re: Re: Re: The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#302 » by breatnach » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:09 am

andyhop wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
andyhop wrote:I think we would be delighted to give him away for nothing

That would be stupid.

The cap space is vastly more valuable than Bennett

In a vacuum, you might be right.
But who else would we sign/trade with that capspace? At least with Bennett he has youth, which can - but doesn't have to - translate into improvement and an increase in value.
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#303 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:58 am

andyhop wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
andyhop wrote:I think we would be delighted to give him away for nothing

That would be stupid.

Have the Twolves ever signed a top UFA?
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Re: The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#304 » by Saltine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:31 am

I think the roster spot opened up for Robbie Hummel
is probably more important to flip than the cap, at least this season :-)
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#305 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 am

NBACommissioner wrote:
andyhop wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:That would be stupid.

Have the Twolves ever signed a top UFA?

Kevin Martin and Kirilenko are our better FAs. Both are superior players to Bennett.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#306 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05 pm

breatnach wrote:
andyhop wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:That would be stupid.

But who else would we sign/trade with that capspace? At least with Bennett he has youth, which can - but doesn't have to - translate into improvement and an increase in value.

Currently nobody will trade a 1st rd draft pick for Bennett. While 7 mil in capspace can easily bring you a draft pick if you are willing to absorb a contract from a team desperate to cut salary. This is an example of capspace > Bennett.
And there's always a chance that we can sign a good FA ourselves.
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#307 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:22 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
breatnach wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Currently nobody will trade a 1st rd draft pick for Bennett. While 7 mil in capspace can easily bring you a draft pick if you are willing to absorb a contract from a team desperate to cut salary. This is an example of capspace > Bennett.
And there's always a chance that we can sign a good FA ourselves.

If he was 2 mil they would But since they have to absorb his salary as well as give up a pick it would likely be too much.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#308 » by horaceworthy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:All i'm saying is the Wolves decisions now could hurt them for the future if he turns it around. I think trading him is the best thing especially if he does well in the Fibas because that's legit competition and his value will go up in that even more than the Pan am's. Canada will have the best team on paper for that so if they win gold and Bennett's a big part of that his value is sure to increase. Of course the Wolves may want to keep him too seeing as it's a contract year and he appears to have put in a lot of work in the offseason. If they pick up his option than what happens to Payne this 5 PF lineup (if Towns is included) is a mess and the wolves are going to need to commit to someone. Wolves PF depth IMO looks like this right now KG/Bennett/Bjelica (don't know what to expect from him or if he'll even see much PF)/ Payne. I don't know how Flip see's it but it's worth noting that Payne didn't beat Bennett out for Minutes last year he only got the time because of injuries. When Bennett came back Flip started him and I think the KG trade had a lot to do with Bennett.

The Payne trade probably had something to do with Bennett and the overall lack of health of the team's big men. As for KG, Flip wanted to get the band back together before Bennett was ever in the picture, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason Flip was so insistent on getting Billy King's boy Thad Young in the Love trade.

Aside from Pekovic, Bjelica and Bennett, most of the bigs on the Wolves blur the lines a bit between PF and C. Towns, Dieng and KG will likely get most of the big man minutes, with Shabazz or possibly Wiggins mixing in at PF when things go small. That leaves a 3 man competition for the 4th and 5th big slots. I think Bjelica has a leg up in that competition going into camp, leaving Bennett and Payne fighting for whatever's left.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#309 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 pm

horaceworthy wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason Flip was so insistent on getting Billy King's boy Thad Young in the Love trade.

What ? :O
This theory is funny.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#310 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm

The crowd might be bad news for Anthony Bennett. Have you decided what you’re going to do about his fourth-year option?

We’re going to evaluate him over the summer. He played a good Pan American Games. There is no question about his talent. It’s about getting in shape. He’s in shape now. But it’s going to be competitive with all those guys, and also Bjelica, who no one talks about.

Scouts tell me it’s “between the ears” with Bennett.

It’s confidence. But his lack of confidence is about the fact that he’s never been healthy since he left UNLV. You always tell players not to let injuries take away from their talent, but it can happen.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-flip-saunders-on-building-the-baby-t-wolves-luck-and-mountain-dew/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#311 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 2, 2015 6:57 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/627904699929243648[/tweet]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#312 » by C.lupus » Sun Aug 2, 2015 8:27 pm

Good read. He hit on the main pros and cons that we've debated here to death.
BigBennett2013
Junior
And1: 246

The great debate: Payne vs. Bennett 

Post#313 » by BigBennett2013 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:30 pm

Bennett should start, this is the big year for him
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#314 » by Worm Guts » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:34 pm

No chance Bennett will start. That will be KG and Towns.
BigBennett2013
Junior

Post#315 » by BigBennett2013 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:05 pm

Worm Guts wrote:No chance Bennett will start. That will be KG and Towns.

Garnett is an old man, his time is over. Time for Bennett to make his breakout
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#316 » by Note30 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:10 pm

BigBennett2013 wrote:

This is how we know you're crazy. Even if he was 50, KG would start, because the main reason he's so valuable is his attitude and heart not his actual playing ability. He has more value as a floor commander than a role playing super insecure player. Bennett might turn it around this year, but no chance in hell will he start unless everybody at the 4 gets hurt. And even then I see Flip going with Gorgui and Towns at the 5-4 over Bennett.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#317 » by C.lupus » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:14 pm

Flip has already said flat out that Garnett will start whenever he plays. Nothing else to discuss on that.

Is KG going to start?

He’s gonna start. That’s who he is. KG is a starter. He’s the best power forward on our team, actually. No one rebounds better. He’s the best help defender. No one communicates better. He knows the offense, and he can pass it.
BigBennett2013
Junior

Post#318 » by BigBennett2013 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:28 pm

KG is too old, he's the wisest player but he got nothing left, he can't hang against the young guys. Not starter material anymore, Flip just promised him a starter position if he came to the Wolves but he hasn't earned it. Wolves shouldn't give entitlement starting jobs
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#319 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:16 pm

Note30 wrote:
BigBennett2013 wrote:

This is how we know you're crazy. Even if he was 50, KG would start, because the main reason he's so valuable is his attitude and heart not his actual playing ability. He has more value as a floor commander than a role playing super insecure player. Bennett might turn it around this year, but no chance in hell will he start unless everybody at the 4 gets hurt. And even then I see Flip going with Gorgui and Towns at the 5-4 over Bennett.

Garnett will start but he really shouldn't anymore...He looked like a worst player in the league candidate when the nets played Toronto in the playoffs a couple of year ago...I couldn't believe he didn't retire after that playoff run he looked done it was embarrassing. Bennett should get some starts i'd think as long as he stays healthy and in shape because KG can't possibly start every game.
NBACommissioner
Banned User

Post#320 » by NBACommissioner » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:17 pm

Also, i'm wondering why Bennett doesn't have his own thread...Really everything in this thread should be about Payne vs Bennett but most of the convo is about whose going to start and stuff Bennett about only bennett.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves