Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#81 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:51 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:Does Tyus have good post-up game like these guys?

Not that know of, but I think they're examples of smaller, under athletic PG's who were successful because they could run an offense.

Did they have post up games right away though? Usually guys don't have that in their arsenal right off the bat, but maybe they did, I really don't know.

I don't know either, but both seem to built differently than Tyus with thicker lower bodies. Tyus doesn't look like someone who would post up. Of course I don't what Miller or Jackson looked like at 19.
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#82 » by mondry » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:59 am

Krapinsky wrote:DX had Tyus as the 14th best prospect in the draft according to their top 100 rankings.

Yeah, what a freaking STEAL! Couldn't be happier!
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#83 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:39 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Not that know of, but I think they're examples of smaller, under athletic PG's who were successful because they could run an offense.

Did they have post up games right away though? Usually guys don't have that in their arsenal right off the bat, but maybe they did, I really don't know.

I don't know either, but both seem to built differently than Tyus with thicker lower bodies. Tyus doesn't look like someone who would post up. Of course I don't what Miller or Jackson looked like at 19.

Hard to find a good picture of Jones with all the sleeves he wears, but looks comparable to Jackson. Miller looked downright jacked, he must've been on the Shawn Kemp diet when he got to Cleveland.

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#84 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:45 am

Of course the big problem w/ the Mark Jackson comparison - how many PGs in his day were built like Westbrook, Rose, Wall, Mudiay, Bledsoe, Holiday, Smart, etc. I think I just talked myself out of hope for him being able to post people up in the NBA.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#85 » by Swish4 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:02 am

I also think he can compete with Anthony Davis in the eyebrow department.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#86 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:22 am

I see a little bit of Sam Cassell in his game
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,716

Re: Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#87 » by minimus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:51 am

theGreatRC wrote:Nick Van Exel with less speed is a good one. I'd also be happy with that at backup PG

Yeah, I really like this comp
InfraRen
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#88 » by InfraRen » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:54 am

If your heart's filled with faith then you can't fear.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#89 » by Nitroglycerin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:31 am

Hopefully he keeps the fro. He looks like a wolverine
Trust the PRosas!
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#90 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:10 am

I undersold Tyus' point guard skills. I remember telling a guy at work that he just looks like a scoring guard, and he was saying how he was thought of as a true point going to Duke. An assist to turnover ratio around 3 is pretty damn good.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#91 » by AQuintus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:34 am

NewWolvesOrder wrote:I think DJ Augustine is his best comparison.

The one issue I have with this comparison is that even though Jones is widely considered to be undersized for the PG position, he's still 2 inches taller than Augustine and has a 3 inch higher standing reach. Augustine is tiny.

Edit:

Jones is the same height as Jeff Teague, and he's only 1.25" shorter than Derrick Rose, though he's got a shorter wingspan than either (6'5" vs. 6'7" and 6'8" respectively).
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#92 » by Sugarless » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 am

mondry wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:DX had Tyus as the 14th best prospect in the draft according to their top 100 rankings.

I find that a bit excessive though. Jones is a nice enough prospect considering his age but he probably wouldn't have declared for the draft if not for his late game heroics in the national title game, which sky-rocketed his stock. He had not been playing that well so far in the tournament and there were doubts about his inconsistency, defense and lack of physical tools.

I think it was a savvy move by Flip and I'm happy with the pick, but I feel like some people's expectations are a tad too high and it may lead to some unfair comments later on if he doesn't perform according to those expectations.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#93 » by Saltine » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 am

Tyus is not much of an athlete, about the same level as Luke Ridnour, he's 0.75" shorter than Luke (6' 0.25", has two inches greater wingspan 6'5", and the same vertical 32.5". I don't think he'll ever be much of a man defender, he's not very quick, but team wise he may be okay. Lorenzo Brown is 6'4" without shoes, 34" vertical, 6'7" wingspan... luckily he has a good brain :)
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#94 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:47 am

AQuintus wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:I think DJ Augustine is his best comparison.

The one issue I have with this comparison is that even though Jones is widely considered to be undersized for the PG position, he's still 2 inches taller than Augustine and has a 3 inch higher standing reach. Augustine is tiny.

Edit:

Jones is the same height as Jeff Teague, and he's only 1.25" shorter than Derrick Rose, though he's got a shorter wingspan than either (6'5" vs. 6'7" and 6'8" respectively).

Yeah, but he can only dream of being as explosive as Teague or Rose. I think that people are trying to find comparisons of players with similar size and athletic ability.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#95 » by Basti » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:34 am

Anyone else concerned that he might not be able to get off his shot against NBA level competition? His release doesn't look very slow but kinda delayed.

But aside from that the kid looks alright and NBA ready skill-wise. He might need to gain a little mass, though.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#96 » by AQuintus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:10 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Yeah, but he can only dream of being as explosive as Teague or Rose. I think that people are trying to find comparisons of players with similar size and athletic ability.

I understand that. I'm just trying to point out that Tyus isn't as undersized as he's made out to be.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#97 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Sugarless wrote:
mondry wrote:

I find that a bit excessive though. Jones is a nice enough prospect considering his age but he probably wouldn't have declared for the draft if not for his late game heroics in the national title game, which sky-rocketed his stock. He had not been playing that well so far in the tournament and there were doubts about his inconsistency, defense and lack of physical tools.

I think it was a savvy move by Flip and I'm happy with the pick, but I feel like some people's expectations are a tad too high and it may lead to some unfair comments later on if he doesn't perform according to those expectations.

I don't know if his stock skyrocketed. He ended up going pretty close to where he was projected to go before the tournament.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Ynt: Re: ** The Official Tyus Jones Thread ** 

Post#98 » by yitur » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Basti wrote:Anyone else concerned that he might not be able to get off his shot against NBA level competition? His release doesn't look very slow but kinda delayed.

But aside from that the kid looks alright and NBA ready skill-wise. He might need to gain a little mass, though.

Well he won't be your main scorer even off the bench though. That's either bazz or lavine. He will be a great backup pg that can creat for others and also knockdown some shots when the double team comes for wiggins, towns or bazz
mondry
Senior
And1: 274

Post#99 » by mondry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:17 am

I see Chris Paul when it's all said and done, great point guard skills, good floater, ice cold shooting the ball with deadly 3's and more clutch factor.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#100 » by Nitroglycerin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:13 am

With Rubio not being an offensive threat, we were "forced" to have offensive minded backup PG's like Barea and Mo.
With Tyus, we have someone who can facilitate AND is a scoring threat
Trust the PRosas!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves