ImageImageImage

Flip: "We need new jerseys"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Re: Flip: "We need new jerseys" 

Post#161 » by funkatron101 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:02 pm

Sports teams will not take unsolicited work, guys. No one wants to deal with the Baltimore Ravens debacle again.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#162 » by m2002brian » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:12 pm

The Ravens problem was a problem of stupidity. All the guy asked for was a signed helmet and a letter of recognition. The Ravens stupidly copied his work without giving credit where credit was due.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/nfls-baltimore-ravens-logo-why-435543

I am sure if a team was smart, liked a design, and wanted to use it, they would just ask what the going price is for the rights to the material. If the price is too high they decline, if it's acceptable they accept. It's not rocket science.
BLUEGREENRED
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#163 » by C.lupus » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:27 pm

That guy didn't want much but that doesn't mean the next guy won't.

What a team like the Timberwolves could do, though, is have an open contest for fan submitals. Winner gets season tickets or something and all participants sign a waiver relinquishing rights to the team.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#164 » by m2002brian » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:41 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:
funkatron101 wrote:I do like the Minnesota shape as the "cliff." Good idea. I also like the idea of a full bodied wolf. Keep going with this and I think it can turn into something really solid!

Shoutout to me for that idea! :lol:

Brian nailed my suggestion perfectly, even better than I was expecting when I suggested it. Seriously, Brian, you need to submit a couple of these ideas. They're way better than what the Wolves would likely do themselves.

Over the last few years, any time a team is changing logos, I see about 20 fan designs that are WAY better than what the end result of the team chooses. Very frustrating. Hopefully the Wolves will take into consideration what Brian is putting together.

Your input was very helpful, if I can score me some season tickets I'll take you to a game or three ;)
It is probably the best part of the logo (the state outline).
I have sent the three different designs to Wolves PR, I wish I had a better contact, someone with a little more sway around the front office, that I could email.
BLUEGREENRED
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#165 » by funkatron101 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:54 pm

It's a pretty small-knit group of designers that tend to work on these. Despite some really skilled freelance artists out there, it is very much a "who you know" industry. Sports teams often contact Nike/Adidas directly and they put together a design team based on who they have worked with previously.

The final design is very seldom the product of one designer alone. Honestly I think it is a matter of "too many cooks in the kitchen" and too many people without a lick of design concept and color theory making final decisions. This is why we end up with things like the terrible Clippers rebranding. It is almost assuredly that the lead designer didn't get his/her "favorite" concept picked.

A number of people pushed to get my Clippers concept in the hands of Clippers management, but I knew it was a fruitless endeavor. The fact that it was public already was the first strike against me. But also I am well aware that the very nature of how it works makes it so I wouldn't be considered. With that said, they are still fun to create. I do it strictly as a hobby.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#166 » by C.lupus » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:04 pm

Out of curiosity funkatron, what software do you use to create your "hobby" logos?
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#167 » by m2002brian » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:08 pm

Having worked in the printing business for many a year. If you want to create logos/images that scale to ANY size, you want to use a vector based program. Adobe Illustrator is popular, fairly easy one to learn and well supported.

You didn't ask but I'll tell. For all the work I've done on here I've been using Pixelmator, it's Mac app only I believe. It has some simularities to Photoshot but I find it far more intuitive.

Both Pixelmator and Photoshop are pixel based and will limit the size you can enlarge your work to.
BLUEGREENRED
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#168 » by funkatron101 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:11 pm

C.lupus wrote:Out of curiosity funkatron, what software do you use to create your "hobby" logos?

As m2002brian, Illustrator.

I also work in the printing industry.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#169 » by C.lupus » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:18 pm

I'll have to play around with Illustrator one of these days. I have it on my work computer, just never learned how to use it.
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#170 » by funkatron101 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:23 pm

C.lupus wrote:I'll have to play around with Illustrator one of these days. I have it on my work computer, just never learned how to use it.

It has a bit of a learning curve, but if you are serious about learning, try not to be too intimidated by it. Just have fun with it. The perspective grid is a blast.

For my illustrations, I sketch in Photoshop then finish in Illustrator. For logo work, I need the precision of Illustrator, and it is vital that the finished product is in vector, as m2002brian said.
SixOneTwo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#171 » by SixOneTwo » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:22 pm

I started a thread on the Wolves rebranding on SportsLogos.net.

http://boards.sportslogo.net/topic/104156-minnesotatimberwolves-rebrand/

This is the most plugged-in and uniform/logo/branding obsessed group of people on the internet so if there are any legitimate rumors, leaks, or official announcements, they will likely be posed there first.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#172 » by m2002brian » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:56 am

Whatever they do I hope they put a logo on the front, they just look better that way. There is a reason that hockey jerseys are though of as the best of all sports (maybe not by you, but by most).

I really think it helps sell the team also. Note how football and baseball teams all have logos on their uniforms. The logo becomes synonymous with the team. Like how Nike became so well known that the logo went from NIKE w/logo to just the swoosh.

Here are some of my favorite jerseys with logos:

(I like the Cardinals the most)
(Yes thats right, the Blackhawks jerseys say "Blackhawks Chicago" :P )

BLUEGREENRED
Dleavitt24
Junior
And1: 61

Post#173 » by Dleavitt24 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:58 pm

keep jerseys simple

Picture this with the wolves on it :bowdown:
Dleavitt24
Junior

Post#174 » by Dleavitt24 » Thu Aug 6, 2015 7:29 pm

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/video/teams/timberwolves/2015/08/05/UniformFittingmp4-3659283?utm_content=Dancer+Uniform+video+tw&utm_campaign=&utm_source=14499&utm_term=1438888200&utm_medium=Twitter%3A+MNTimberwolves

Timberwolves dancers get new uniforms which could give us another reason to believe new wolves colors/ brand will go with a darker navy blue and same logo.
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#175 » by funkatron101 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 2:53 pm

Video unavailable.
Dleavitt24
Junior

Post#176 » by Dleavitt24 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 3:17 pm

U can go to NBA.com/Timberwolves and find it in videos.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#177 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:26 pm

Dleavitt24 wrote:U can go to NBA.com/Timberwolves and find it in videos.

They took it down
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#178 » by funkatron101 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Klomp wrote:
Dleavitt24 wrote:U can go to NBA.com/Timberwolves and find it in videos.

They took it down

Possibly a sign that there will be a uniform change? Although I would think there would be a more formal announcement by now.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by C.lupus » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:05 pm

I saw the video before they took it down. The new dancers uniform was a one-piece short dress, white with little Wolves logo heads ("Werepig") all over it like polka dots. It had a blue hoodie and blue stripe down one side. The most notable thing was the color of blue. Dark navy, similar to the court at the practice facility.

I don't know if it means anything that they took down the video but it's intriguing.
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#180 » by funkatron101 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:56 pm

I would be okay with navy if the green returns to the uniforms. I think Jazz are the only team with navy and green in their color scheme.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves