No votes

Total votes: 50

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Who is the odd man out? 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:42 am

Having extended a qualifying offer to Hummel, it shows we are interested in bringing him back. Assuming we also re-sign Garnett and bring over Bjelica, it currently puts us at 16 players. That means we'll need to drop one by the time the season starts. Who will that be?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Re: Who is the odd man out? 

Post#2 » by Nitroglycerin » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:47 am

It will be hard to trade Bennett without adding an asset. Maybe Budinger but I think Flip likes him.
Lavine can play the PG when a PG goes down. So its Brown
Trust the PRosas!
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#3 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:12 am

LoBro

Lavine can handle spot duties at pg.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#4 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jul 1, 2015 2:49 pm

Lo Brow is a definite goner.

Next in line would be Bennett it seems, or Budinger. I could see a team striking out in free agency and needing a stop gap at SF call us about Bud. Maybe Atlanta, Detroit, Blazers.

Hummel might get offered a low end deal by someone, and so I could see him gone as well.

I think will all work itself out after the big money deals are signed.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#5 » by Nitroglycerin » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:06 pm

Hopefully Hawks lose Carroll and Millsap.
They can get Bud and Bennett to replace them :-D
Trust the PRosas!
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:12 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:LoBro

Having a 19 year old as the backup and Lavine as the 3rd PG seems like it could be an issue. I think we'd benefit from keeping LoBro
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#7 » by C.lupus » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:51 pm

I think Budinger will get moved, Bennett, too, if they can find a taker. Flip's been trying to trade Chase since last offseason and the extra year of salary scared teams away last year. He's expiring now.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#8 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:21 pm

C.lupus wrote:I think Budinger will get moved, Bennett, too, if they can find a taker. Flip's been trying to trade Chase since last offseason and the extra year of salary scared teams away last year. He's expiring now.

He's also a relative bargain considering what guys like Aminu are getting in FA.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#9 » by Vindicater » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:32 pm

I think we should be looking to consilidate two of those players into 1.

Perhaps move Bennett/Brown for a 3rd PG (Vet)?

Not sure what is on offer however.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#10 » by Calinks » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:47 pm

The peking order for me when it comes to who I would want to part with the most to least is.

Brown
Payne
Bennett
Hummel
Chase

I like Brown but I think he is limited, he is tough as nails though and I think a good floor presence. Payne, I just don't have a lot of faith it, he has some nice skills but he makes me wonder. Bennett is similar but I just believe more in his upside and I have seen flashes where I still think he can be a decent player, I want one more hard look at him before throwing in the towel. Roberto is just a solid player, he seems fairly reliable. Chase would be down this list if he didn't come out of his shell at the end of last season. If that Chase shows up, he is a great player off the bench or a good trade piece at the deadline.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#11 » by Vindicater » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:50 pm

I would try to get in on the Knicks late in the offseason when they need to fill their roster after free agents spurn them.

Throw them something like this.

Budinger, Payne and Brown

for

Ledo and Galloway.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#12 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:40 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:LoBro

Having a 19 year old as the backup and Lavine as the 3rd PG seems like it could be an issue. I think we'd benefit from keeping LoBro

I dont think they will be in contention for a playoff spot this year anyways unless Wiggy+Towns become Shaq and KObe incarnate.

So, as long as Ricky doesnt sustain another injury that takes him out for an extended period of time; 10-15 minutes should be fine for Jones to get his feet wet.

And if Ricky does get injured, LoBro would likely still be available for that 10 day contract.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#13 » by eyeteeth » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:43 pm

LoBro is probably add good as gone. I wish we could get rid of Bennett, but I doubt there's any takers. Buddinger could maybe be traded, though, and I'm sorry, but I just think he's terrible. Get rid of him already.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#14 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:20 am

I wouldn't count out Brown yet. I think Bennett almost has to be gone. Chase has a good chance of being gone. The decision on Brown will be made closer to training camp and it may depend on what happens with Bud and Bennett.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:31 am

Worm Guts wrote:I wouldn't count out Brown yet. I think Bennett almost has to be gone. Chase has a good chance of being gone. The decision on Brown will be made closer to training camp and it may depend on what happens with Bud and Bennett.

I would agree with this.

Simply because of roster balance, I think Flip's first preference would be for either Budinger or Bennett. But if he can't find a trade partner, he's not going to just waive either one of them. That's where I believe Brown comes into the picture.

With both Budinger and Bennett, I think each of them would be picked up quickly by another team after we drop them, while I don't think Brown carries much interest league-wide. We could probably get away with dropping Brown now and pick him back up later in the season if we clear another roster space. We couldn't do that with the other two.

However, keeping Brown would also mean an easier cut if we need to clear a roster spot during the season. If Brown is cut before the season and we keep the others, it could be another situation like last year where our roster is basically locked in place.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#16 » by King Malta » Thu Jul 2, 2015 2:48 am

Am I wrong to think that we could find a team to dump Bennett on without giving up an asset?

He's an expiring, so it's not as if you're stuck with him long term, and on the odd chance that he does develop and become a player worthy of being on an NBA roster then that's only a positive for that team.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#17 » by Peezo » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:15 am

King Malta wrote:Am I wrong to think that we could find a team to dump Bennett on without giving up an asset?

He's an expiring, so it's not as if you're stuck with him long term, and on the odd chance that he does develop and become a player worthy of being on an NBA roster then that's only a positive for that team.

I feel like it might be easier to move Chase for the simple fact that he has actually produced at an NBA level. He is also slightly cheaper (by .8 million I believe). However I've seen a couple posters say we wouldn't pursue a buyout or waive either player, but I also think that would be a more likely case. It could look exactly like what we did last year with JJ at 4mil for Chase at 5mil. I could see us preferring Hummel as a 3/4 player at 1.2 mil over Chase and still keeping Brown, just to safe guard against the situation we found ourselves in last year.

I think Martin is the only veteran player who needs to be in our wing rotation. He provides a very specific skill and is on a really reasonable contract. Chase on the other hand might be slightly overpaid (very slightly) based on value and no longer has that one elite skill. For all of these reasons I could see Chase being bought out if he or Bennett cannot be moved via trade.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#18 » by Saltine » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:44 am

Some teams have lots of roster space at the moment, the Knicks have 3 guys with guaranteed deals, the Lakers, Dallas and Sac have 5, Indiana and Portland only 7. Moving Chase may not be tough at all, he played well the last two months of the season and is healthy. There is a minimum team salary as well... It should be way more clear next week.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#19 » by Mattya » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:04 am

I'm at the point where unless we are getting an upgrade in young talent I don't really want to make a move. Sign Bjelica and KG. Maybe buy out Bud and bring in a 3rd PG like Heslip. Send Bennett to the DLeague and see if anything gets him going.

Rubio/Jones
Martin/LaVine
Wiggins/Bazz/Bud
KG/Bjelica/Payne/Bennett
Towns/Dieng/Pek
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:40 am

Mattya wrote:Maybe buy out Bud and bring in a 3rd PG like Heslip.

So you're buying out Bud and waiving Brown in this example?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves