ImageImageImage

Twolves point guard situation

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Re: Twolves point guard situation 

Post#21 » by eyeteeth » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:42 pm

wolves_89 wrote:My take on the situation is that Brown and the Wolves have a good relationship and Brown decided to stick with Minnesota over trying to catch on with another team. I think there is a decent chance Brown makes the team due to injury/trade/retirement of one or more players. Bennett/Rudez could easily be traded and who knows if Pek will be able to suit up. In addition, I'm not sure Miller is guaranteed a spot on the team, he might find out there just isn't anything left in the tank and retire.

Andre Miller is not going to retire before this season. He's going to be our 2nd string PG, and he should hopefully be well worth the vet minimum we're paying him. If you think he's not guaranteed a spot on the team you're just wrong.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#22 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:55 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/628307278484111360[/tweet]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Post#23 » by wolves_89 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:28 am

eyeteeth wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:My take on the situation is that Brown and the Wolves have a good relationship and Brown decided to stick with Minnesota over trying to catch on with another team. I think there is a decent chance Brown makes the team due to injury/trade/retirement of one or more players. Bennett/Rudez could easily be traded and who knows if Pek will be able to suit up. In addition, I'm not sure Miller is guaranteed a spot on the team, he might find out there just isn't anything left in the tank and retire.

Andre Miller is not going to retire before this season. He's going to be our 2nd string PG, and he should hopefully be well worth the vet minimum we're paying him. If you think he's not guaranteed a spot on the team you're just wrong.

Anyone around 40 in the NBA is on the verge of retirement. I'm not saying he will retire, but it is a definite possibility. Saying he's without a doubt going to be on the roster is failing to accept the reality that extremely old players, especially guards, eventually hit a wall where they just can't compete at an NBA level. I can see a realistic scenario where Miller just can't guard anyone during the pre-season and decides to hang it up. There's a reason why Miller didn't sign with a playoff contending team and is only being paid the vet minimum, it's because most teams don't think he's still an NBA player.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#24 » by King Malta » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:46 am

wolves_89 wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:

Anyone around 40 in the NBA is on the verge of retirement. I'm not saying he will retire, but it is a definite possibility. Saying he's without a doubt going to be on the roster is failing to accept the reality that extremely old players, especially guards, eventually hit a wall where they just can't compete at an NBA level. I can see a realistic scenario where Miller just can't guard anyone during the pre-season and decides to hang it up. There's a reason why Miller didn't sign with a playoff contending team and is only being paid the vet minimum, it's because most teams don't think he's still an NBA player.

Or it could be, as he's actually quoted as saying before he even signed for us, that he preferred to see out his time helping out a team of younger players and seeing more court time than he may potentially see at a contender.

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's extremely unlikely that a veteran as savvy as Miller would have committed to this contract if he thought, for even a second, that his body could no longer stand up to the rigors of the NBA and allow him to perform the role he committed to here.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves