ImageImageImage

Wolves - Slow Pace, No 3's.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Wolves - Slow Pace, No 3's. 

Post#1 » by jinxed » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:17 pm

The modern NBA is all about shooting 3's and playing with pace. All the best teams do this.

The Twolves, one of the youngest, most athletic teams in the league played with the 3rd slowest pace in preseason amongst NBA teams.

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/advanced/?sort=PACE&dir=1

They shot the second fewest three's of anyone in the preseason.
[url]
http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/?sort=FG3A&dir=1[/url]

We are also one of the league leaders in long 2's.

Slow pace. No 3's, and a bunch of long 2's. This is very disconcerting and I think Mitchell's system is to blame.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Re: Wolves - Slow Pace, No 3's. 

Post#2 » by andyhop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Pace only matters in regards to how it fit your team , being fast or slow doesn't give you any strategic advantage. Last season the Warriors were first in pace and the Cavs were 25th.

Your points about 3 point shots are valid.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#3 » by Killboard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:17 pm

On Wolves pace:
they average 97.29

We played against Memphis 96.23, Toronto 95.29 (twice), Milwaukee 101.24 (Twice), Chicago Bulls 99.001, OKC 99.55
Milwaukee was around mid table, OKC and Chicago around 17-20th, Memphis and Toronto below us.

The pace of your rivals can make you have less possessions. And is not always bad thing play slow ball.
You can make up your D playing slow, and we all know the problems this team had the last years with all this youth.

But watch this:

The wolves was third in the league in AST% FG.
Cleveland:67.8%
Goldens State:66.7%
Timberwolves:66.5%

That is sign of good reads and good patience in offense.

3PTs:
only memphis took less 3's, but we lead the league in 3pt%: 38.0%.
Obviously we need to shoot more 3's, but we need to do it being good at it. At least we are finding the right guys. If we can do it with more consisitence that will be great.

So while we need to get better, there is some good signs of being good in some areas. This team needs time to evolve, as their best players, and we still thinking about the best lineups. So its unfair think about Smitch wolves as finished product like other teams are.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#4 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:19 pm

jinxed wrote:They shot the second fewest three's of anyone in the preseason.
http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/?sort=FG3A&dir=1

I'd rather attempt less and make a higher percentage (we were 1st in 3p%) than shoot the most and make among the lowest percentages (Philadelphia, Houston).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#5 » by Foye » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Klomp wrote:

I'd rather attempt less and make a higher percentage (we were 1st in 3p%) than shoot the most and make among the lowest percentages (Philadelphia, Houston).

True but they still need to turn up the volume a bit if they want to compete in todays nba.
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#6 » by A1FromDay1 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 pm

And they will. Martin only averaged like 16 minutes a game and he took 11 shots from deep. Nema will also get more comfortable.
Homo homini lupus est.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#7 » by theGreatRC » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:07 pm

What was the pace of the last preseason game we played? THAT is how we should play
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#8 » by Saltine » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:43 am

Preseason stats??? He only ran his real lineup out there the last game... someone is really reaching.
AD2K
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#9 » by AD2K » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:41 am

How our pace can be critiqued to the point of concern when Rubio only played a couple games is beyond me
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#10 » by jinxed » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Klomp wrote:

Mmm..Depends.

Minnesota makes 45% of there 2's, which equals 0.9 points per shot.

They would only have to make 30% of their three's to equal that number. Meaning it is just as effective to shoot 30% from 3 as it is to shoot 45% from two. And Houston shot exactly 30.7% from three

Of course there is also the value of the 2pt shot that is at the rim, because of fouls drawn, but Minnesota takes a needless amount of long 2's.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#11 » by LesGrossman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Trying to force transition offense comes at a price. You will have to compromise your defensive assignments and most of all your rebounding if you want to do it with a plan (not talking about occasional leakout). Not sure if we want that. However i am not a friend of the current offense. Despite the time that passed since his departure i still feel like we play the very static and predictable offense that Adelman implemented. I dont feel like the offense has been adjusted according to the personnel at hand (nor has the defense).

Edit: as for the long two's, many are the result of late shot clock situations which in turn result from the poor offense that does not put pressure on the defense nor create open shots, be it short or long ones.They just pass the ball around without purpose. If there is one thing Ricky Rubio is good at its creating shots for others, with the ball in his hand and preferrably out of a pick and roll situation. The stagnant offense they play is highly ineffective imho and that can indeed be blamed on the coaching staff.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#12 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:16 pm

They need to develop their passing before they start thinking about all the 3s they need to take. These guys are too often turning the ball over on what should be simple passes - they don't have that decisive, ball-movement synergy yet.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#13 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:10 pm

They took 20 3s last night.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:26 pm

hopefully next time they make some of them. Kmart had some decent looks, surprised he couldn't hit anything.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#15 » by C.lupus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Klomp wrote:They took 20 3s last night.

and shot 25% on them, while shooting >50% on their 2s. And they won.

2s > 3s.

*ducks and runs*
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#16 » by packforfreedom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:42 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:hopefully next time they make some of them. Kmart had some decent looks, surprised he couldn't hit anything.

and he had some K-Mart looks: Slow jab-step, wait, defender still there, shoot anyway.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#17 » by Foye » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:00 pm

AD2K wrote:How our pace can be critiqued to the point of concern when Rubio only played a couple games is beyond me

Yeah, and we also need to consider that we are giving minutes to ancient KG, Prince and possibly Miller. Those guys won't outrun teams anymore. So whenever they are on the floor it is smarter to slow the offense down a bit. We are going to get a quality look anyway.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves