ImageImageImage

Flip's Vision Begins: Timberwolves @ Lakers 9:30PM CT ESPN

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Flip's Vision Begins: Timberwolves @ Lakers 9:30PM CT ESPN 

Post#1 » by theGreatRC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:58 am

The Timberwolves lost the heart of the organization: Flip Saunders, but what he left behind are 15 guys that are going to play with a purpose this year. They are going to carry on the vision Flip had for this team and fight every single night. Flip didn't just bring these players here to play basketball. He brought them here to be part of the Timberwolves family that will put on for the city and be role models and people with high character and love for the game.

He always mentioned having high character guys on the team and bringing in players that WANT to be here. This is the most potential the franchise has ever seen on one roster. You better believe that every guy in the locker room will have Flip in their hearts when they step on the hardwood.

Starting at PG is Ricky Rubio:

Rubio, appropriately, got right to the point.

“It’s something that impacts all of us,” he said. “He was rebuilding this team, and he chose every single [player] who is over here right now. … What we have here is a family, and we lost our dad yesterday.”

As Rubio said, Saunders brought in every piece, every player and coach. And now they all have something very big to play for.

“We’re going to be men,” Rubio said. “We’re going to go through this tough moment. But, in honor of him, we will be playing hard, giving everything we have out there and honoring him. Winning games.”

Starting at SG is Andrew Wiggins:

It was an honor and privilege to be coached and mentored by one of the most kind hearted and caring person in this world. You believed in me so much especially when you brought me over to Minnesota and saw my potential to be special in this league. for that I am forever grateful.

Starting at SF is Tayshaun Prince

"This is gonna be a tough year for us,” Prince said. “But at the end of the day, Flip will want us to go out here and play hard, play with endurance, play strong and go out and play for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Play as a group, play as a unit. And that’s what we’re going to do.’’

Starting at PF is the kid that Flip took that chance on and believed in: Kevin Garnett

Starting at C is Da new Kid Karl-Anthony Towns

Towns talked about how hard it was just to get out of bed.

“We lost our point guard,” he said, “the person who ran this whole machine.”

Some words from other Timberwolves and the reserves for the game:

Zach Lavine

LaVine recalls meeting Saunders after being drafted in 2014. Saunders wrote LaVine’s name down on a piece of paper the day of the draft and kept it in his pocket.

“He gave it to me, I have it in my room still,” LaVine said. “He put Zach LaVine on it; I’m drafting you for sure. I’m sticking with you. He believed in me. I got to thank the world for that.”

Kevin Martin

“Like KG said, we all need a day like today,” Martin said, talking about teammate Kevin Garnett, who was so close to Saunders. “We need to get back on track and start to play in his memory. It is devastating to lose a man of his caliber. He’s an Ohio kid, but Minnesota was his place.”

Shabazz Muhammad

We have all been blessed by your wonderful life, Coach Flip. You will be deeply missed. Rest in peace.

Nemanja Bjelica

Saddened by the passing of Flip Saunders...My prayers goes to his family and loved ones

I know the excitement for the start of the Timberwolves season was completely gone after Flip's passing. The Saunders family and Timberwolves organization lost a great man, but have gained an angel that will be watching over them. Rest in peace Flip, I know you'll be rooting for the Timberwolves from up there.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Nirv
Freshman
And1: 20

Re: Flip's Vision Begins: Timberwolves @ Lakers 9:30PM CT ESPN 

Post#2 » by Nirv » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:11 am

Let's do this!

P.D: Very touching post, man!
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#3 » by wildvikeswolves » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Great post!

Hope the guys can make this a special season in honor of Flip!

#4Flip
volk_bart
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#4 » by volk_bart » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Good work RC!

All for Flip!
RocketsHero
Pro Prospect
And1: 121

Post#5 » by RocketsHero » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:56 pm

The beginning of something great, from this moment, we are fighting for a playoff spot and building towards winning a championship.

Very touching words from our players, I have no doubt we will have a very competitive season.
One Win at a Time
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#6 » by Dewey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Incredible RC ... that was worth a 1,000 posts.

This is going to be a very emotional stretch for the Wolves - it could break them down or it could help bond a hell of a team. Every player can control one thing - "Play with Heart". That's all any of us can ask.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#7 » by Foye » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Great post RC.
Lets make this a great competitive season.

For Minnesota, fans, coaches, owners, players and of course FOR FLIP!

Also everyone who is living anywhere close to Target Center... please fill that arena each and every motherf*cking game.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#8 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Tough to know how the kids are going to react after this tragedy because they are still so young.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#9 » by kmgarnett21 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:49 pm

If there's one game I want us to win, it's the season opener. I hope these guys come out on fire for Flip and blow the doors off the Lakers. I imagine the home opener will be very emotional as well. Can't wait to see what tribute the organization puts together for Flip.

Anyone know when services will be?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#10 » by C.lupus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Yeah, this is going to be an emotional game. It will be interesting to see how the young guys respond.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#11 » by C.lupus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:55 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:Anyone know when services will be?

I haven't seen any announcement. I would guess it would be over the weekend so the team could be there (LA tonight and Denver Friday, then home game on Monday).
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#12 » by Note30 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Isn't the game tomorrow? Am I missing something?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#13 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Note30 wrote:Isn't the game tomorrow? Am I missing something?

Yes, it's Wednesday
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#14 » by theGreatRC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Note30 wrote:Isn't the game tomorrow? Am I missing something?

Yeah, it's on wednesday..Just thought i'd make it since we didn't have a thread to really talk about the game, yet.

I hope Wiggins completely destroys his matchup if Kobe really is starting at SF, which would mean Prince is on Kobe.

Wiggins it too long for Clarkson, I expect a lot of half court offense will be Wiggins in the post with Kat in the high post.

I'm really excited to see Randle against KG. I LOVE Randle's attitude, but not his game as much as most Laker fans do. My roommate and I watch the Lakers all the time and he's a die hard guy. He says that NOBODY is higher on Russell than they are with Randle and I can see why. He's a pretty good passer for his position and he likes to drive to the hoop. He can't shoot, though

KAT's first true test against Hibbert should be interesting. Hibbert used to be a defensive anchor, so it will be nice to see if Hibbert has regained form from his Indiana days or if KAT will be able be an impact player from Day 1 and abuse that matchup.

Before the draft, I loved Russell's game. For some reason, his shooting didn't translate to summer league and pre season, but the Regular season is a completely different animal. Maybe he'll perform better under the bright lights. He is an on target passer; he loves the no look chest passes and he's Rubio-lite with the bounce pass. Rubio is a dog defensively, though and I know he'll want to make things very uncomfortable for the kid (If he ends up starting)

All in all, I think the Lakers are a good matchup for our team, I just want to see them play with fire in their eyes. I'm more excited for the home opener and the emotions that will be flowing in the arena..

PS - I was supposed to go to the game with my roommate and his siblings, but even though the Lakers aren't good, tickets are still crazy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#15 » by lobishome » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:47 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzh1_Eniq4M[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNA5MXk8wlM[/youtube]

@Image
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,959

Post#16 » by Domejandro » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:52 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZacharyBD/status/658480499363414016[/tweet]

I will be at this game, you will see me sitting behind the Timberwolves bench in a Ricky Rubio jersey. I hope they can come out of the gates and win this game; the ball is going to feel like it is made of lead, but hopefully they can pull it off.

Great thread RC.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#17 » by ace625214 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:45 am

theGreatRC wrote:
PS - I was supposed to go to the game with my roommate and his siblings, but even though the Lakers aren't good, tickets are still crazy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Yeah they're absurd. I'm going to wait until Wednesday at around noon and see if I can get something decent for cheap. If not I'll just catch the Clips game in a month.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#18 » by LordBaldric » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 am

Can't wait for the game tomorrow night!
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#19 » by Mattya » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:07 am

$60 for 300 level at Staples Center. $404 for 1 section away from midcoart in the 100 level. Those prices are crazy.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#20 » by rugbyrugger23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:17 am

In regards to Flip's vision...

I am sure Flip started to scout '16 draftees and formulate an early opinion. But really way too early for Flip to have his fingerprint on the 2016 draft. And like many around here, the abilities of Flip as a GM to scout, select, and build his roster his way, is why Wolves are one of the most promising young teams in the NBA.

So let's assume a scenario, in dedication to Flip, where current Wolves brass use all of his knowledge, input, his influence on the last draft (or even last 2 drafts), to make a bold trade and secure one last player imprinted with Flip's vision in mind? Meaning, the crowning achievement of Flip in memorandum, is to have Wolves acquire one last of Flip's "guys".

Who would this player be? He was very heavily rumored to like Russell, and of course Okafor. Whom other from last draft? Who did he really want to draft in '15 draft (outside of LaVine)? How would this transaction be pulled off?

Hope that makes sense. Just thought it could be really special of new Wolves brass to punctuate Flip's legacy by cementing the next couple generations of Wolves success using 100% of Flip's influence, even after his passing.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves