Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SMitch fate poll

Fire the clueless baffoon asap before more damage is done
41%
Let him stay till summer and find a good replacement
50%
The guy has potential, I don't mind him staying long term
6%
In Glenn Taylor we trust (fully and unconditionally)
3%

Total votes: 129

Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Re: Fire SMitch thread 

Post#1381 » by Piecake » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:40 am

Krapinsky wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:Brett Brown is better than Smitch and it's not really close. Brett whooped Flip twice with inferior roster. His team that year played solid defense. This year he was dealt with Stauskas and Jokafor and it went south.

Not close? C'mon man. His teams' record has gone down three straight years from 19 to 18 to 10, which is historically awful. His teams have been the worst offensive team in the league 3 years running. He had one blip of good defense in 2014-15 when he played three defensive first players big minutes - Noel, Moute, and Covington. Mitchell has coached two playoff teams and has a 47 win season on his resume.To say he's better than Sam and it's not close just shows your unabashed hatred for the man.

2013-14
W-L = 19-63
ORTG = 99.4 (30 of 30)
DRTG = 109.9 (26 of 30)

2014-15
W-L = 18-64
ORTG = 95.5 (30 of 30)
DRTG = 104.8 (13 of 30)

2015-16
W-L = 10-70
ORTG = 98.6 (30 of 30)
DRTG = 108.8 (24 of 30)

I think it is pretty unfair to use metrics in regards to philly considering that the roster has constant turnover, the roster is filled with D league talent, and the front office is actively trying to lose.

No crap they are last. The front office WANTS them to be last. I have been pretty impressed every year that their record is as good as it is considering the talent they have on it. As for players like Covington who havent progressed, I think that is more the product of a truly awful lineup this year. They didnt have a PG, their best two players are bigs who can't shoot, and they lack players who can actually shoot 3s. Just a disaster. As for Covington, I don't think he is even all that talented. He is likely going to be an average at best NBA player. I mean, it is not like we are talking about a player with tons of potential. And lets be honest, there aren't many players on the 76ers with tons of upside and potential.

Context matters, and you can't just look at Philly and say because the team hasnt improved every year means that the coach is doing a bad job considering that he doesnt have the same team to work with every year.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1382 » by Krapinsky » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:16 am

I am truly amazed by how many 76ers defenders there are on this board.

At the very best, all you can say about Brett Brown is that he hasn't had a fair shot. He hasn't shown anything which would make one believe he is a better coach than Sam Mitchell.

I think something can be said about how Mitchell the mentor has Wiggins and Towns turning into leaders before our very eyes at the age of 20 and 21, whereas Noel is destroying apartments and smoking pot, and Okafor is feeling sorry for himself, driving 100 + mph, and fighting guys, and reports were leaked that Embiid is immature and had a poor work ethic.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#1383 » by Tirion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 am

lol @ Gorgui pleading the Fifth on Mitchell, Pitino taught him well.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#1384 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:39 am

Krapinsky wrote:I am truly amazed by how many 76ers defenders there are on this board.

At the very best, all you can say about Brett Brown is that he hasn't had a fair shot. He hasn't shown anything which would make one believe he is a better coach than Sam Mitchell.

I think something can be said about how Mitchell the mentor has Wiggins and Towns turning into leaders before our very eyes at the age of 20 and 21, whereas Noel is destroying apartments and smoking pot, and Okafor is feeling sorry for himself, driving 100 + mph, and fighting guys, and reports were leaked that Embiid is immature and had a poor work ethic.

Smitch was dealt with 2 basketball choir boys. He wasn't given 2 problem children from Philly. LOL at giving credit to Scam here. And Brown is a solid coach. Sixers fans don't call for his head after 3 seasons.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1385 » by Krapinsky » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:22 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I am truly amazed by how many 76ers defenders there are on this board.

Smitch was dealt with 2 basketball choir boys. He wasn't given 2 problem children from Philly. LOL at giving credit to Scam here. And Brown is a solid coach. Sixers fans don't call for his head after 3 seasons.

I'm honestly starting to take offense on Sam's behalf here. Scam? Really? And you call yourself a Wolves fan?

Still haven't been provided one shred of evidence that Brown is a good coach. You guys are willing to give Brown the benefit of the doubt and completely disregard any evidence to the contrary, while completely denying giving Sam any credit for anything positive that has happened with this Wolves' team. :banghead:
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Post#1386 » by jumpmanjay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:33 pm

I come in peace.

Any chance the Wolves offer Thibs the position Flip had? If so, I'm switching sides.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#1387 » by HitmanCapone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm just kind of jumping in here but I find it laughable that people talk about JVG like he's a good coach. He is no better than what we have now and the fact that he's been away from the game for what will be atleast a decade doesnt help me understand where this love for him comes from.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#1388 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm

HitmanCapone wrote:I'm just kind of jumping in here but I find it laughable that people talk about JVG like he's a good coach. He is no better than what we have now and the fact that he's been away from the game for what will be atleast a decade doesnt help me understand where this love for him comes from.

JVG hasn't been brought up in a long time. That ship has probably sailed.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#1389 » by Foye » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm

HitmanCapone wrote:I'm just kind of jumping in here but I find it laughable that people talk about JVG like he's a good coach. He is no better than what we have now and the fact that he's been away from the game for what will be atleast a decade doesnt help me understand where this love for him comes from.

Yeah, I wouldn't want JVG either.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Re: RE: Re: Fire SMitch thread 

Post#1390 » by HitmanCapone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Klomp wrote:

JVG hasn't been brought up in a long time. That ship has probably sailed.

As I said I was just jumping in and I still seen JVG being brought up like 3 or 4 pages back which was the last time I was here thru my phone. Its nice to hear that people have moved on but it was very concerning reading thru the support for him though

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Post#1391 » by firyGM » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Anybody wants George Karl like our coach?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#1392 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:52 pm

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/720318661827780608[/Tweet][Tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/720324305779707906[/Tweet]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#1393 » by Mattya » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:08 pm

I really wish Joerger was available, but I think it is very important that we get the coaching situation figured out as soon as possible. I have my worries about a guy like Thibs like giving him a big contract and a big say in FO decisions, but I will say it would be really nice to see Glen open up his wallet and bring in a very sought after coach. The quality of Thibs as a coach goes without saying. We would need to make sure Thibs and Kander would be on the same page though.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#1394 » by Murphs56 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:19 pm

"A Rising Belief" I don't think that logic applies when it comes to Glen Taylor. That man does his own thing at all times.
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Post#1395 » by firyGM » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:33 pm

firyGM wrote:Anybody wants George Karl like our coach?

Ok no... Why?
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Post#1396 » by wolves_89 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm relieved to see that the Wolves will do a coaching search after the season. Including Mitchell makes sense and if he can make his case that he'll be a better coach than the other candidates then more power to him. I'll be much more willing to accept Mitchell back if he actually wins the job in a competitive process instead of being handed the job by default. But, it the Wolves can land a coach like Thibs or Joerger I'd be thrilled.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1397 » by urinesane » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:20 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--timberwolves-planning-coaching-search-that-will-include-sam-mitchell-202028470.html
Sources: Timberwolves planning coaching search that will include Sam Mitchell

The Minnesota Timberwolves are planning to engage in a coaching search that will include interim coach Sam Mitchell as part of the process, league sources told The Vertical.

The Timberwolves are targeting the elite coaches on the market, including Jeff Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks, league sources said.

Minnesota has the potential to be the most attractive job opening on the market, largely because of the presence of presumptive Rookie of the Year Karl-Anthony Towns and a core of young talent.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has engaged with a prominent search firm to help gauge the potential for giving a coach full autonomy and letting him build out the front office, league sources said. The search firm has been identifying both coaching and management candidates, sources said. Taylor is intrigued with the Stan Van Gundy model in Detroit that has helped return the Pistons to the playoffs, sources said.

Milt Newton is the Wolves’ general manager, but it is unclear if a new coach will answer to him – or if he’ll answer to a new coach, sources said. Newton worked under the late Flip Saunders, who had full control of basketball operations and coached the Timberwolves. Saunders died in October.

Mitchell has the support of Wolves veteran Kevin Garnett, whose endorsement does have impact with Taylor. Garnett is expected to eventually have an ownership stake in the team upon his retirement.

This seems reasonable. Mitchell has earned himself the right to compete for the job with the other candidates.

I don't think there's anyway he is seen as better than Thibs or JVG after the interview process, so unless those two want WAY too much money/power, I don't think Mitchell is the hire.

I'd rather not get Brooks though. Thibs is my preference.
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#1398 » by slinky » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 pm

John Krawczynski was just on Barriero around for 430. And he completely backed the Stein tweet. He was told Wolves looking to make a big splash...brought up the standard names(Thibs, JVG, Brooks), but said don't rule a big time college coach either(it was interesting Kevin Ollie was the name he brought up).

The next question on the table is how much control is Glen willing to cede if we bring in big name? Has stated that not a fan of the dual personnel and coach role before.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,692

Post#1399 » by Domejandro » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:17 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlPAj38rHc[/youtube]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/720386795406397440[/tweet]

It is finally over; what a horrible, horrible stint.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1400 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Good news, finnaly. Now, lets hope this is true.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves