ImageImageImage

Wolves invade Magic Kingdom (6 pm)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

RocketsHero
Pro Prospect
And1: 121

Re: Wolves invade Magic Kingdom (6 pm) 

Post#541 » by RocketsHero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Rubio was having problems bringing the ball up against Payton. At least that's my guess why Lavine bringing it up court.

Nope, the idea was Let Zach Attack his defender since he is perceived to be the better scorer than Rubio. Payton was fouling all night without being called. Getting his pocket picked once is not the same as having problems bringing the ball up against Payton.
One Win at a Time
RocketsHero
Pro Prospect
And1: 121

Post#542 » by RocketsHero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Don't get me wrong, Payton was very impressive last night and he did outperform Rubio in that game.
One Win at a Time
steveshikadance
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#543 » by steveshikadance » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Fun game last night between two young up and coming teams. So great to see yet another game where Minny's 2 young cornerstones step-up in the clutch to help the Wolves take the game to OT. Wiggins has really impressed since the early back problems to start the season, his willingness to drive and absorb contact is refreshing, one thing i hate though is seeing him take those long 2's why he doesnt take one step back on those jumpers for 3 is beyond me. KAT has been much better this early than I ever would have expected, his bball iq is off the charts for a rookie, great spacing and timing stuff that is hard to teach. Looking forward to see if this young duo can help carry the Wolves to playoff contention this year, should be fun.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#544 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:29 pm

RocketsHero wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Rubio was having problems bringing the ball up against Payton. At least that's my guess why Lavine bringing it up court.

Nope, the idea was Let Zach Attack his defender since he is perceived to be the better scorer than Rubio. Payton was fouling all night without being called. Getting his pocket picked once is not the same as having problems bringing the ball up against Payton.

He was making Rubio work to bring the ball up, getting away with fouls would just exacerbate that.
That being said I didn't hear if Mitchell addressed it, letting Zach attack may have been his strategy.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#545 » by LesGrossman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
RocketsHero wrote:

He was making Rubio work to bring the ball up, getting away with fouls would just exacerbate that.
That being said I didn't hear if Mitchell addressed it, letting Zach attack may have been his strategy.

Dunno why everyone tries to scapegoat Ricky now. It certainly wasnt his best game but by no means poor; he kept everyone in the game, dished out some really nice assists, played comparably good defense against a guy who had an exceptionally good game. Sure it would be nice if he hit some of those jumpers but then if Martin or Bjelica would it wouldnt even have been close. Every team seems to have their reliable long distance threat but us, very frustrating. I used to watch the grizzlies because i liked their defensive approach but their offense was also based on inside and not very pretty.

I wonder if "hack a Elfried" would have been a viable plan.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#546 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm not trying to scapegoat Ricky, I'm just saying what happened. Lavine struggled against Payton too.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#547 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Nothing to do with ricky, i just think smitch sees lavine as the closer late in the game or with a short clock.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#548 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:27 pm

theGreatRC wrote:If we're in the hunt by all-star break, it's definitely playoffs or bust because we'd be too high in the record books to try and get another top 3 talent (Unless we get extremely lucky)

So you'd consider the season a failure if we didn't make the playoffs and didn't end up with a Top 3 pick?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#549 » by theGreatRC » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:14 am

Klomp wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:If we're in the hunt by all-star break, it's definitely playoffs or bust because we'd be too high in the record books to try and get another top 3 talent (Unless we get extremely lucky)

So you'd consider the season a failure if we didn't make the playoffs and didn't end up with a Top 3 pick?

No. I'm saying if we're in the hunt for the playoffs, then the team needs to have a "Fight for a playoff seed" mentality and not one where games in April are meaningless stat stuffers. It will be good for the development of our two corner stones. I would be pleased if we had a Jazz-esque run after the all-star break from last year, even if we don't make the playoffs. I wouldn't want us to try to rest key players like Rubio to get a higher draft slot.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#550 » by LesGrossman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:55 am

I believe its a meaningful question. Last year they went into tank mode way too early and i am afraid smitch might take that same route again.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves