ImageImageImage

Pick Watch 2016

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Re: Pick Watch 2016 

Post#121 » by Foye » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:07 pm

ace625214 wrote:So the Clippers have said a lot of stuff this year that implies they'll blow it up if they don't go deep in the playoffs. Say we land the 1st overall. What would have to be added to get Griffin?

Why would we do that? No 1 pick is locked up into a nice looking rookie contract for a long time. Plus a top talent around same age as Wiggins, KAT and LaVine. It would be foolish to trade the No. 1 pick for Griffin given that it would most likely only be a one year rental.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#122 » by ace625214 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Foye wrote:
ace625214 wrote:So the Clippers have said a lot of stuff this year that implies they'll blow it up if they don't go deep in the playoffs. Say we land the 1st overall. What would have to be added to get Griffin?

Why would we do that? No 1 pick is locked up into a nice looking rookie contract for a long time. Plus a top talent around same age as Wiggins, KAT and LaVine. It would be foolish to trade the No. 1 pick for Griffin given that it would most likely only be a one year rental.

Because Griffin is an All-NBA player who was an MVP candidate before he got hurt? He has two years left if he picks up his option. He's from Oklahoma, so I don't think he'd be dying to leave Minnesota like some guys. They would have a good shot at resigning him.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#123 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Not necessarily anything. A lot of times if team is looking to rebuild, the best rebuild piece is going to be where the superstar is traded.If the Clippers are looking to rebuild then the first pick plus cap space is a pretty compelling offer.
That being said, I don't know if I make that offer. The Wolves aren't ready to win big quite yet, and it might make more sense to keep the player who's going to be on a rookie contract and 3 years will be just as good as Griffin.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#124 » by ace625214 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:41 am

Worm Guts wrote:

Not necessarily anything. A lot of times if team is looking to rebuild, the best rebuild piece is going to be where the superstar is traded.If the Clippers are looking to rebuild then the first pick plus cap space is a pretty compelling offer.
That being said, I don't know if I make that offer. The Wolves aren't ready to win big quite yet, and it might make more sense to keep the player who's going to be on a rookie contract and 3 years will be just as good as Griffin.

The odds someone turns out to be an All-NBA player in 3 years are pretty slim. There's a very good chance that nobody in this year's lottery ends up as good as Griffin.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#125 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 am

ace625214 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

The odds someone turns out to be an All-NBA player in 3 years are pretty slim. There's a very good chance that nobody in this year's lottery ends up as good as Griffin.

Ben Simmons could flop because of certain issues but if he doesn't I think he'll be comparable to Blake Griffin within 3 years. Ingram and Bender are a little farther away.
Blake Griffin himself was an all-star and a 20-10 guy as a rookie.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#126 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:25 am

Just for some context, between 2007(start of one and done)and 2013(have played more than 2 seasons) of the 7 first overall picks,5 made the all-star game within their first 4 seasons.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#127 » by Krapinsky » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 am

Sugarless wrote:Here's a list of names that I'd consider [EDIT ...]

Great post.

If we get Thibs and KG retires, what about Noah?

Noah and Deng would be pretty sweet replacements for KG and Prince.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#128 » by Sugarless » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Sugarless wrote:Here's a list of names that I'd consider [EDIT ...]

Great post.

If we get Thibs and KG retires, what about Noah?

Noah and Deng would be pretty sweet replacements for KG and Prince.

I personally would be too concerned with his health and the fact that you often play 4-on-5 on offense with him. The Bulls had a hard time with him offensively this season (their ORTG went up nearly 4 points when he was off the floor), and you could see the offense struggling as teams sagged off of him time and again (he refuses to shoot the ball from beyond 5 ft and he was making just 42% of his FGs... from the restricted area). Plus his defense the past two seasons hasn't been the same, it was getting a bit better before he was shut down but still not nearly what it used to be up to his DPOY season. And I'm not really sure he'd be OK with coming off the bench, his last injury may have changed thngs but he didn't take it well when Hoiberg decided to go with Mirotic/Gibson instead of him as the starter.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#129 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 pm

KG is a more versatile fit w/ DIeng and KAT b/c he can play 4 or 5; Noah is a strict 5. If we wanted that type of player though, I think Varejao would be a better option b/c he looks a little healthier at the moment, and my guess is he'd come cheaper as well. For impact though, my center vote goes to Big Boban.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#130 » by Sugarless » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Varejao will be cheaper, that's for sure. But I think we have enough injury prone centers on the roster with Pek (who, BTW, I'd try and see if he's willing to retire from the NBA). I'd try to avoid that kind of guys.

If we look for a strong defender and rebounder to come off the bench, Biyombo could be our guy. He'll be paid more than last year, that's for sure, but he won't be as expensive as some other centers (including Noah, IMO). And there's Miles Plumlee, whom the Wolves already wanted at the deadline according to reports, and he should be a somewhat cheap option as well.

It may also depend on what happens with Gorgui and the PF spot. If we get a starting PF, we would be looking at Gorgui coming off the bench again and playing 24-26 minutes mostly behind KAT, as we also have Bjelica to play the 4 and he should be a much more consistent option than this season.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#131 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:36 pm

Sugarless wrote:Varejao will be cheaper, that's for sure. But I think we have enough injury prone centers on the roster with Pek (who, BTW, I'd try and see if he's willing to retire from the NBA). I'd try to avoid that kind of guys.

If we look for a strong defender and rebounder to come off the bench, Biyombo could be our guy. He'll be paid more than last year, that's for sure, but he won't be as expensive as some other centers (including Noah, IMO). And there's Miles Plumlee, whom the Wolves already wanted at the deadline according to reports, and he should be a somewhat cheap option as well.

It may also depend on what happens with Gorgui and the PF spot. If we get a starting PF, we would be looking at Gorgui coming off the bench again and playing 24-26 minutes mostly behind KAT, as we also have Bjelica to play the 4 and he should be a much more consistent option than this season.

I wouldn't count on him to be our 3rd guy, but Varejao would be a good 5th guy, or temporary fill-in while a talented rookie gets it going. But yea, I'm more interested in the bigger names. Biyombo might be too big of a name. You know who might be a good, affordable option that I just thought of? Boban.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#132 » by Sugarless » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Boban would be amazing even with the fun factor alone. Imagine seeing this kind of fear in our rivals every night... :D

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#133 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Biyombo would be great if we're looking for a rotation guy, but I'd prefer to find a starter and push Dieng to a backup along with Bjelica.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#134 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Biyombo would be great if we're looking for a rotation guy, but I'd prefer to find a starter and push Dieng to a backup along with Bjelica.

Starting PF options in free agency are severely limited though. It's pretty much Ryan Anderson or take a chance on an signing Motiejunas or T Jones to an offer sheet. Or Dwight Powell, I forgot about him. Still no slam dunk options in that 3 as far as upgrading over Dieng.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#135 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:33 pm

There's Horford or a couple options in the draft or even the possibility of rolling over the cap space until next year (which I probably wouldn't do). But yeah, if we're not in position to draft a PF and Horford doesn't show any interest then we probably are just looking for a rotation player.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#136 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:57 pm

Horford can play next to Towns, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd still be matched up against centers more often than not. I don't really see that as a problem at all though, it's just an aside that we'd still have a PF/C | PF/C frontcourt like we do with Gorgui.
ace625214
Bench Warmer

Post#137 » by ace625214 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Just for some context, between 2007(start of one and done)and 2013(have played more than 2 seasons) of the 7 first overall picks,5 made the all-star game within their first 4 seasons.

There's a pretty big difference between All-Star and 1st or 2nd team All-NBA.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#138 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:23 pm

ace625214 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Just for some context, between 2007(start of one and done)and 2013(have played more than 2 seasons) of the 7 first overall picks,5 made the all-star game within their first 4 seasons.

There's a pretty big difference between All-Star and 1st or 2nd team All-NBA.

There can be, I don't think there is in this case.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves