LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: Wolves vs Thunder part II on ESPN Game Thread 

Post#241 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Mattya wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Hey, its the only way you people know how to communicate. Remember just yesterday where you were saying I "booed Rubio."

and no, by "you people," I don't mean Europeans, because I know that is where you wanted to go with that to play your Euro victim card again.

You're making up stuff again. I think i wrote "you probably booed him, too" in a certain context. What is your actual message though? I dont know what you try to say at all. People have said they want to have Smitch replaced right now. Nothing else. You comment on some imaginary stupid suggestions noone ever made. What are you trying to tell us? :crazy:

Lol at me making that up.

What is my message? You replied to it, and seemed to understand it just fine an hour ago. What imaginary thing am I making up. I replied to a comment from a poster who has suggested trading Rubio and young talent for win now players, you interject and yet again assume you know that persons viewpoints. Every time you have tried to call someone out you end up just showing the irony and hypocrisy that you post every single day.

lol ok then. I rather think you have an agenda, seeing you go ballistic on half of the posters (who happen to have one thing in common...) but of yourse, as usual, you are 100% right since you own The One And Only truth. :lol: Good night!
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#242 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

The difference between Minnesota vs Denver = They have Gallinari
The difference between Minnesota vs Portland = They have Lillard

Notting else matters, Having a better bench, having a better frount court...Doesnt matter.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#243 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:43 pm

mercgold3 wrote:The difference between Minnesota vs Denver = They have Gallinari

Notting else matters, Having a better bench, having a better frount court...Doesnt matter.

Uh. Terry Stotts seems to be quite the competent person. If i had to single out the one key difference it would be him, because Portland was winning big with Lillard out injured, too.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#244 » by guest81 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Mattya wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote: The difference is they have vets with experience who can still play.

So, The difference is J.Nelson and R.Foye. I see.
With Portland, is... well, they dont have vets.

You see what?

You don't consider Gallinari and productive vet? Or Damian Lillard? or Al Farouq Aminu?

Ya those teams have vets who carry the load. The Wolves have vets, but they're for "mentoring" not for production on the court. Wiggins and Towns are asked to be Durant and Westbrook for the Wolves and carry them completely. They have the talent to get to that level, but they need the experience to go with the talent.

Also for all the ripping on Sam, doesn't some of the blame have to go to the Wolves mentors? They were suppose to be coaches on the court, and the coaching hasn't been good
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#245 » by guest81 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 pm

mercgold3 wrote:The difference between Minnesota vs Denver = They have Gallinari

Portland also has CJ Mccloum, a could be pick from the Wolves.

The Nuggets have Will Barton, also was a Wolves pick at one point
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#246 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:02 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Mattya wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:You're making up stuff again. I think i wrote "you probably booed him, too" in a certain context. What is your actual message though? I dont know what you try to say at all. People have said they want to have Smitch replaced right now. Nothing else. You comment on some imaginary stupid suggestions noone ever made. What are you trying to tell us? :crazy:

Lol at me making that up.

What is my message? You replied to it, and seemed to understand it just fine an hour ago. What imaginary thing am I making up. I replied to a comment from a poster who has suggested trading Rubio and young talent for win now players, you interject and yet again assume you know that persons viewpoints. Every time you have tried to call someone out you end up just showing the irony and hypocrisy that you post every single day.

lol ok then. I rather think you have an agenda, seeing you go ballistic on half of the posters (who happen to have one thing in common...) but of yourse, as usual, you are 100% right since you own The One And Only truth. :lol: Good night!

you must be pretty full of yourself if you think Mercgold and you represent half of the posters here. My two agendas are to call out the complainers and whiners for not showing the least bit of patience and to expose all the BS and hypocrisy you post. You make it easy for me though. But sweet dreams. I'm glad you could recognize I'm the one right here. See what you can do with evidence and facts instead of making stuff up?
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#247 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:02 pm

LesGrossman wrote:

Uh. Terry Stotts seems to be quite the competent person. If i had to single out the one key difference it would be him, because Portland was winning big with Lillard out injured, too.

You're forgetting something, They have the great Al-Farouq Aminu :roll:
Mattya
RealGM

Post#248 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:07 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:

You're forgetting something, They have the great Al-Farouq Aminu :roll:

I think most people would love to have him on this team. Please quote where I said he was great though since you two want to complain about straw man arguments.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#249 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Please quote where I said this.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#250 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Merc before you try to act like you know more than me again you might want to fall back and realize all of our predictions before the season started are not in your favor, as a matter of fact they actually are in my favor.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#251 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Mattya wrote:Merc before you try to act like you know more than me again you might want to fall back and realize all of our predictions before the season started are not in your favor, as a matter of fact they actually are in my favor.

Well, your prediction was, Denver is probably going to be better than us, when i asked why, you said, they have Gallinari and Faried. Gallinari is better than Wiggins, and Faried is better than any of our PFs. So, right there, i awser your previous question.

They all in your favor because, i didnt realize Sam Mitchell was the worst coach in the NBA, simple as that.
And yes, the worst coach in the NBA vs a good coach would make all the difference. Believe or not.

Just ask Orlando.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#252 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:Merc before you try to act like you know more than me again you might want to fall back and realize all of our predictions before the season started are not in your favor, as a matter of fact they actually are in my favor.

Well, your prediction was, Denver is probably going to be better than us, when i asked why, you said, they have Gallinari and Faried. Gallinari is better than Wiggins, and Faried is better than any of our PFs. So, right there, i awser your previous question.

They all in your favor because, i didnt realize Sam Mitchell was the worst coach in the NBA, simple as that.
And yes, the worst coach in the NBA vs a good coach would make all the difference. Believe or not.

Just ask Orlando.

I could also ask Orlando about the growth of players like Evan Fourneir. Does he not count. They probably shouldn't have been patient.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#253 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:37 pm

This is Orlando last year:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

Orlando this year:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

+ Hezonja

Of course the players improved, its also one more year in the NBA for all of these players. OK.
But do you really believe that was the BIG difference in Orlando ? NO.

The big difference in Orlando was the COACH.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#254 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:45 pm

mercgold3 wrote:This is Orlando last year:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

Orlando this year:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

+ Hezonja

Of course the players improved, its also one more year in the NBA for all of these players. OK.

This is not leading anywhere, probably best to +ignore and let him rant against the wall
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#255 » by Calinks » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Coaching staff can only be responsible for so much. We have several knowledgeable coaches on our team and 3 coach on the floor type mentors. The biggest problem is the inexperience and ignorance of all the young players on the team. The magic team has several veteran players who are still able to contribute on the floor and play big minutes. They also have a better balance of players and aren't suffering from the major gaps we do.

That's what happens when you are incredibly young. We are relying too much on players who dont yet know their jobs. Maybe some elite level coaching and coaching staff could have us playing much better, maybe we could be 40 win team if everything came together from a coaching philosophy stand point and system. But that would be the exception, not the norm, there may be just a few coaches and staff in the world who could pull it off.

The fact that we are bad doesn't mean we have the worst possible coaches and mentors in the NBA, I think the majority of coaching staffs with this roster right now would have extremely similar problems. Maybe a few more wins maybe a few less wins but most coaches would struggle like crazy in this situation.

I don't know why some of you wont see that this is expected. Look at the projections the experts put out there, most thought we would be hovering around bottom dwelling territory. We are. I too think the team can play better than it is right now but I am not surprised we are playing horribly right now either. We can bounce back and win some more games at some point but we will never be great. I hope to see us hit an up swing again soon and rattle off a few wins.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#256 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

Orlando this year:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

+ Hezonja

Its everything, I never said the coach doesn't impact the game. Just not as much as you would like them too.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#257 » by Calinks » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:07 pm

Also about the Magic again.

Several of their key players are 23-27 years old. Just being older playing basketball for longer gives you an edge, your body is more mature you know your body better. You have had more time to develop your mental toughness.

If the magic were relying on Henzonja and Payton to carry them every night you think they would be as good? Those guys get to play with players who know what they are doing and carry a load. They get a lot of their mistakes masked because they have pros who know what they are doing. They the benefit of having a more balanced roster, they also do not have a huge turnover like we have had every season. They have had several key guys in place for multiple years. They got a new coach but he was able to build on what was established beforehand.

We are totally different team than we were opening day 2 years ago. We have had two coaching changes in two years, we have half the team filled with players who weren't here in 2013 getting major minutes. We don't have a concrete system. Orlando is ahead of us everywhere not just because of who they got calling the plays.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#258 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:10 pm

LesGrossman wrote:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

Orlando this year:

Vucevic
Frye
Harris
Fournier
Payton

Olapido, A.Gordon

+ Hezonja

This is not leading anywhere, probably best to +ignore and let him rant against the wall

I thought you had to go to bed? Can you elaborate some more on why it is Smitch's fault that the young guys don't box out? Because that is something that is taught in elementary school basketball. Or do you want to finally produce some sort of evidence of Wolves fans not liking Rubio because he is European? I'm waiting for you to back up anything and you never seem to do it. Instead you deflect and complain when people use your same argument strategies against you.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,453

Post#259 » by Foye » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:54 am

LesGrossman wrote:
Foye wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:I wouldnt exactly say patience is what this team and this club needs. If they have shown to have one thing over the past decade, its patience.

I believe its a common theme here and at the same time a huge mistake, to expect things to get better simply by doing them longer. Talent is a guarantee for nothing, exactly. As we just saw OKC, lets look at them. As an outsider watching maybe 50% of their games, I thought they were really poorly coached, Brooks was relying on the exceptional talent of his roster. He did not put a leash on Westbrook, he did not give Harden the feeling of appreciation he needed, i didnt see much stuff being run; two guys were shooting all the time (with Harden and Ibaka make it four), everyone else got bored and frustrated and uninvolved. Think about who he had: Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden, Reggie Jackson and a lot of other very skilled role players. They should have multiple titles by now, but they had "patience". They kept repeating the same mistakes and expected their problems and struggles to just go away over time, until recently. And after their peak, the roster broke apart and as good as they may look against trash teams like the wolves, we all know they are out of contention now. Theres no way they get past the Warriors or Spurs.

Repeating mistakes will not remove them. Getting better at doing the wrong things does not make you better as a player or team. Right now, we are wasting one season of a handful we have with this group. Not only is there no progress, but a measurable regress - which is kind of logical, since teams are learning about your strengths and weaknesses and if you stand still you work into their hands. All the flip flopping around topics that should be marginal (is Lavine a 1 or 2? Truth is, he wont be exceptional at either so why slow the team down to give him experience?) has so far lead nowhere. After so many games we havent really figured out the best 5 to start. Smitch has only recently rediscovered the great player he had on his bench, by the name of Bjelica. A waste of time. While we argue here about how it makes no sense to fire him, BETTER coaches are being let go and replaced by others, making those teams better.

Patience/Develop/fail/Patience/tank/draft/patience/develop/fail/patience. I dont believe any more. I am with the people who demand actions to be taken. Get rid of Smitch and the whole assistant country club, get players who are good right NOW, not in some imaginary future that has yet to manifest.

So I really don't want to write a long post right now but I guess I'll have to.

Lets look at our situation:
We are in year 2 of the rebuilding process in the post love/since adding Wiggins era...currently a 12-29 record....so on pace to improve on the terrible last season. I know it is disappointing and some (if not all) of us might've expected more improvement but this is the NBA. You are not going to complete a full rebuild in two seasons. It simply does not work.
So...I think we are in a pretty good position right now with two young studs in Wiggins and KAT.

Lets look at the situation of the two teams you mentioned when they got their young studs.
The notSonics first two seasons with Durant finished well outside the playoffs. So sucking is exactly what got them Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka to pair with Durant...which resulted in building a contender in year 4 of the rebuilding process.
That they are only a borderline contender right now has more to do with Durant not being 100% and them making some poor roster choices which allowed other teams (such as GS, SA) to collect a more talented roster than the notSonics have.

Golden State...exactly same story. first two years after getting Curry finished outside of the playoffs. Didn't become a contender until Curry's 6th year. And even last season it was really surprising they did as well as they did.

I see your concerns about Mitchell holding the team back and not having a good GM but in reality a lot of those mediocre teams above us would probably love to switch situations with us because we have two young studs in place and are about to get a third one if we draft smart next offseason.

It takes time too build a quality team. Towns and Wiggins are just 20. It will take another two years and adding talent around them to fully unleash their potential.

Everything you wrote explains why it makes sense to not expect immediate results, and be patient in a rebuild process. It makes a lot of sense and i share those thoughts. But at the same time, you dont address my main concern: with the wrong coach and staff, the rebuild will just not happen. Its not like you put them all together and just wait 2-3 years and when you open the lid they are a contender. With the wrong coach, you will just have a big pile of wasted talent that cannot produce consistent results (the "Knick" approach). You need all ingredients to cook a strong team: talented players, patience and great coaching/a great organization. If just one is lacking it will not turn out tasty :D

The one thing you miss here is that we have a rookie general manager without any experience how to make important decisions.
Surely, he will have to eventually come to the decision that Sam Mitchell isn't going to be the teams future head coach. I give him some more time to figure that out.
But I'm not sure which good coach would actually commit to a 12-29 team midway through the season...I don't even know who is available currently other than Thibs.

I'm just happy Newton didn't decide to enter the trade market by now because I can guarantee you all other 29 GMs in the league would want to fleece the rookie gm. :lol:
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,395

Post#260 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Yeah, but you also don't want your gm standing pat because he is afraid to make a deal.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves