Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Re: Bulls @ Wolves 

Post#261 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 8, 2016 1:31 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Sugarless wrote:BTW, regarding the Bulls game, it was a great win that we fully deserved IMO, but we almost threw it away as we once again reverted to playing ISO-ball time after time in the 4th. It was all about dumping the ball to Andrew in the elbow/the post or giving it to Zach so he would continue to chuck away every time he touched it. I understand not everyone follows the whole league and knows other teams announcers, but the fact that even Stacey King insisted on that (far from the sharpest mind in basketball broadcasting) should tell you something.

This time Wiggins made 2 or 3 buckets at the end and we got away with the W. But we do that by default and it's cost us plenty during the season. It's about time we go away from that kind of play at the end of the games.

Iso ball late in games is actually quite common. Taking stupid contested or quick pull ups from 18 ft in iso is our problem.

The last 2 minutes.

Post iso on moore. Right play and would go to it every time down the floor.
Wiggs bailed out dieng on a broken play.
The dagger. Not the best shot, but wiggs was in kobe mode.

Playin ISO every time down the court is common in poorly coached teams, or teams who have a superstar that demands the ball to be in his hands constantly in the last minutes. We are certainly not the last type.

The best teams share the ball from start to finish, and it's even more important when the D is tighter at the end of a close game. Reverting to ISO (moreso when you don't have the personnel) time after time will get you a win here or there, but it's an excellent recipe for losing throughout the season.

Noone is saying to play isoball every play throughout the game. You specifically mentioned late in the game.

Im saying isoplays arent uncommon late in the 4th.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#262 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 8, 2016 1:40 pm

Andri wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Iso ball late in games is actually quite common. Taking stupid contested or quick pull ups from 18 ft in iso is our problem.

The last 2 minutes.

Playin ISO every time down the court is common in poorly coached teams, or teams who have a superstar that demands the ball to be in his hands constantly in the last minutes. We are certainly not the last type.

The best teams share the ball from start to finish, and it's even more important when the D is tighter at the end of a close game. Reverting to ISO (moreso when you don't have the personnel) time after time will get you a win here or there, but it's an excellent recipe for losing throughout the season.

You could see this in the last plays of the Thunder at GSW. Last one with the Curry's jump shot, after their bread and butter high pick adn roll with Green.

As Van Gundy said, it's all about execution in the last minutes of a tight game at high level. Execution is not ISO-ball.

Thats that their strength though.

Rubio isnt a threat to shoot nor attack the rim.
None of the guards can shoot consistently enough to run that action.
Id probably run a pnr with kat and wiggs, but im not confident wiggs makes the pass if he has to. Yet.

At this time, lavine and wiggs are more confident in iso situations.

Wiggs with an iso in the post is a sound play.
Wiggs or lavine isoing from 25ft out isnt.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#263 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 8, 2016 2:07 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

The last 2 minutes.

Noone is saying to play isoball every play throughout the game. You specifically mentioned late in the game.

Im saying isoplays arent uncommon late in the 4th.

I'm talking about the 4th quarter. No team in the history of the game has played ISO for 48 minutes.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#264 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 8, 2016 2:08 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Andri wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

You could see this in the last plays of the Thunder at GSW. Last one with the Curry's jump shot, after their bread and butter high pick adn roll with Green.

As Van Gundy said, it's all about execution in the last minutes of a tight game at high level. Execution is not ISO-ball.

Id probably run a pnr with kat and wiggs, but im not confident wiggs makes the pass if he has to. Yet.

Why would you play pick and roll with a terrible ballhandler who can't pass? :o
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#265 » by LesGrossman » Mon Feb 8, 2016 2:09 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Andri wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

Rubio is just as much a threat in the last two minutes as in the 46 minutes before. He does not shoot or drive, because the game plan is to iso Wiggins or Lavine, its not the other way around like many guys say.

I agree with sugarless that there is no particular reason to give up your game plan late in the game, and good teams dont do it. Its just panic mode. I'll take a well run offense above Gorgui fading away, and randomly passing after travelling, 10 out of 10 times.

I believe many people are just used to see certain things happen and take it for granted that it has to go that way. Carmelo, Kobe, Lebron, all iso in the clutch. But that style is outdated and ineffective and we dont have anyone of their talent on our team.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Bulls @ Wolves 

Post#266 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 8, 2016 2:25 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Andri wrote:

And where did i say i would run it?
Sugarless
Starter

Post#267 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 8, 2016 2:50 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

And where did i say i would run it?

LOL.

By the way. Being confident in ISO situations means nothing. Being efficient does. And Wiggins is not efficient by any means, even less on that type of plays, no matter how good they look when they go in.

Also, I'd like to use your post to address a very common mistake and a very basic concept that is usually missing when talking about Rubio in the 4th or potentially in the playoffs: the fact that he's not a good finisher at the rim does not affect how teams react to him getting to the paint. No team will ever allow any player in the league to have an uncontested lay-up, that's as simple a concept as the fact that you have to dribble the ball with one hand and not two. They will (and they do) all collapse when there's dribble penetration (something Ricky is excellent at) which means that there will be at least one open guy on the floor, usually the rolling / popping man, and a guy like Rubio is a sure bet to find that guy and give him an open look at the basket. He will not be a threat to finnish in traffic, but he doesn't need to, cause all that's necessary is for him to *create that traffic* by penetrating, which will happen 100% of the time.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,939

Post#268 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 8, 2016 5:55 pm

Sugarless wrote:The best teams share the ball from start to finish, and it's even more important when the D is tighter at the end of a close game.

So we're not one of the best teams in the league, thank you for that earth-shattering revelation
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#269 » by Dewey » Mon Feb 8, 2016 6:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Sugarless wrote:The best teams share the ball from start to finish, and it's even more important when the D is tighter at the end of a close game.

So we're not one of the best teams in the league, thank you for that earth-shattering revelation

So someone posts a few harmless facts, and the moderator has to have a smart a$$ comment ... there are times your better off just shutting your yap. :dontknow:
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#270 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Feb 8, 2016 6:49 pm

He can't help himself, he always does.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#271 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 8, 2016 7:10 pm

Klomp wrote:

Oh no, thank you sir for another one of your bland oneliners. Keep up the good work!
Sugarless
Starter

Post#272 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 8, 2016 7:11 pm

Dewey wrote:
Klomp wrote:

So someone posts a few harmless facts, and the moderator has to have a smart a$$ comment ... there are times your better off just shutting your yap. :dontknow:

I gave him a +1 for effort.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 8, 2016 7:19 pm

Some of y'all take this board way too seriously sometimes. Have a little fun.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#274 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Feb 8, 2016 8:05 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Well, with a "real coach" we are going to reach a lot more wins.

It's a damn shame looking to the standings and see Portland (rebuild year) and Utah (important players injured for a long time this season) with so many wins. I'm sure the coach in those situations was the real difference.

I know you disagree.

I disagree - their key pieces are all way older than ours. Lillard is 25, Henderson's 28, Ed Davis is 26, Plumlee is 25, Favors is 24, McCollum is 24, Hayward is 25, Booker is 28, Gobert is 23 - they have almost all their best pieces in a nice age range.

C'mon, enough with the apologizing. The Blazers have 4 guys out of their top-10 in minutes played who are 23 or younger, exactly like the Timberwolves, and they have people like Crabbe who's 23 but has played half the minutes in his career than a Zach Lavine, or McCollum who's 24 but has played 3200 minutes to Wiggins' near 4800 at 20 years old.

And that's not getting into the fact that the Blazers where assembled with guys that most people in the league didn't even want and hadn't played together until 4 months ago.

They are the prime example of a team that's developed and overachieved through good coaching and a system that fits their roster. We are exactly the opposite.

I don't think I'm apologizing; to me it's obvious that if your 2 best players are 20, you won't win many games.

And I'd love to hear somebody present some specifics as to what system caters to players that don't know how to play NBA defense and can't shoot.
Andri
Junior
And1: 251

Post#275 » by Andri » Mon Feb 8, 2016 8:23 pm

Klomp wrote:Some of y'all take this board way too seriously sometimes. Have a little fun.

Doble standard.

Hope you would show as quick in some ugly useless talks instead of doing it in some of the interesting ones.
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#276 » by Sugarless » Mon Feb 8, 2016 9:06 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't think I'm apologizing; to me it's obvious that if your 2 best players are 20, you won't win many games.

And I'd love to hear somebody present some specifics as to what system caters to players that don't know how to play NBA defense and can't shoot.

Wait, the 2 best players are 20? I can't see who you are referring to. One of our two best players is 25, the other one is indeed 20, although he plays like he's 30.

As for defense and shooting, if your coach is unable to get his team to put the effort on defense, it doesn't matter how good or bad you think they are as defenders, the will do nothing on that side of the ball where 80% of your success relies on hard work. And if you don't have good shooters, you better make them work hard on defense and on the boards so they can run in transition, something we've not done in the whole season. Or you implement a system based on constant movement and cuts where your excellent young athletes who can't shoot can get to the rim more often and more easily. Or, you know, you could also *play your shooters*. Those Bjelica, Rudez and Martin guys that are rotting on the bench night after night, for example. It is usually a good idea to mix your non-shooters with your shooters to help spread the floor for the former.

It really is basic stuff, and those are all doable things for any half-competent coach regardless of the roster he's given. But, that's where we are truly lacking.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#277 » by LesGrossman » Mon Feb 8, 2016 9:24 pm

Andri wrote:
Klomp wrote:Some of y'all take this board way too seriously sometimes. Have a little fun.

Doble standard.

Hope you would show as quick in some ugly useless talks instead of doing it in some of the interesting ones.

Oh well. SMitch, the Genius. Gorgui Gasol. Trade Ricky NOW. Peaks and valleys. :noway: :lol:
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#278 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 8, 2016 9:31 pm

Andri wrote:Hope you would show as quick in some ugly useless talks instead of doing it in some of the interesting ones.

Sorry, I haven't created a technology that will alert me based on what is posted on RealGM. Sometimes I'm on RGM when certain discussions happen, sometimes I'm not.

m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#279 » by m2002brian » Mon Feb 8, 2016 9:36 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Andri wrote:

Doble standard.

Oh well. SMitch, the Genius. Gorgui Gasol. Trade Ricky NOW. Peaks and valleys. :noway: :lol:

It's it peaks and valleys or chutes and ladders?
BLUEGREENRED
Andri
Junior
And1: 251

Post#280 » by Andri » Mon Feb 8, 2016 9:38 pm

Klomp wrote:
Andri wrote:Hope you would show as quick in some ugly useless talks instead of doing it in some of the interesting ones.

Sorry, I haven't created a technology that will alert me based on what is posted on RealGM. Sometimes I'm on RGM when certain discussions happen, sometimes I'm not.

There is neither for sarcasm it seems :roll:

Let's stay in topic now
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves