ImageImageImage

Wolves vs. Boston, 7:00 CST

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Wolves vs. Boston, 7:00 CST 

Post#181 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:38 pm

I wouldn't say he's lazy. He applies himself where he's comfortable. KG isn't lazy, but he'd never attack the rim like we wanted because it wasn't his comfort zone. Attacking the rim is familiar to Wiggins, but rebounding isn't. He seems to be becoming more aware defensively and passing the ball lately though, so that's a plus.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#182 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I wouldn't say he's lazy. He applies himself where he's comfortable. KG isn't lazy, but he'd never attack the rim like we wanted because it wasn't his comfort zone. Attacking the rim is familiar to Wiggins, but rebounding isn't. He seems to be becoming more aware defensively and passing the ball lately though, so that's a plus.

I think that lets him off the hook. Anything that could be considered a hustle stat (blocks, steals, rebounds), he's below what you would expect. He has his moments, but he's not consistently as engaged as he needs to be. Maybe that's laziness, maybe it's a lack of focus or motivation but it should be better.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#183 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:I wouldn't say he's lazy. He applies himself where he's comfortable. KG isn't lazy, but he'd never attack the rim like we wanted because it wasn't his comfort zone. Attacking the rim is familiar to Wiggins, but rebounding isn't. He seems to be becoming more aware defensively and passing the ball lately though, so that's a plus.

I think that lets him off the hook. Anything that could be considered a hustle stat (blocks, steals, rebounds), he's below what you would expect. He has his moments, but he's not consistently as engaged as he needs to be. Maybe that's laziness, maybe it's a lack of focus or motivation but it should be better.

As a self admitted Kevin Love hater I'm starting to wish for the reverse of the trade (of course with KAT already on board :lol: ).
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#184 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

It may very well be letting him off the hook, but I tend to give a lot of allowance for time to learn when talking about somebody who's still just 20. The defensive rebounding is pretty poor - that's something that should definitely be better.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#185 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:48 pm

I honestly think how people are souring on Wiggins has to do with how great Towns has looked. When you look at the numbers Wiggins puts up at 20 years old look impressive, until you compare him to seeing Towns every night and what he brings, it really makes Wiggins looks second fiddle
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#186 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I do think Wiggins seems a little behind schedule if we're comparing to past MVP-type wing players. Of course there's not a ton of those players who came into the league at 19. Maybe Kobe, Durant, and McGrady?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#187 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:15 pm

guest81 wrote:I honestly think how people are souring on Wiggins has to do with how great Towns has looked. When you look at the numbers Wiggins puts up at 20 years old look impressive, until you compare him to seeing Towns every night and what he brings, it really makes Wiggins looks second fiddle

Wiggins puts up shallow scoring stats, that's it. His other bulk stats as well as his advanced stats are horrific. The only good thing is his FTr%. There's a grand canyon between him and Towns.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#188 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Maybe my expectations are too high, but I do think Wiggins seems a little behind schedule if we're comparing to past MVP-type wing players. Of course there's not a ton of those players who came into the league at 19. Maybe Kobe, Durant, and McGrady?

you have to remember that Kobe and Tracy were 18 y.o. with no college.

http://bkref.com/tiny/yGp9W

it doesn't look good so far if you look at per 100 poss and advanced.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:48 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Maybe my expectations are too high, but I do think Wiggins seems a little behind schedule if we're comparing to past MVP-type wing players. Of course there's not a ton of those players who came into the league at 19. Maybe Kobe, Durant, and McGrady?

Not being Kobe or T-mac should hardly be standard for disappointment or not
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#190 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:52 pm

guest81 wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

considering the hype and considering how most of our board including myself were jawing about the Love trade, it is a disappointment so far, and a big one, especially defensively.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#191 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
guest81 wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

considering the hype and considering how most of our board including myself were jawing about the Love trade, it is a disappointment so far, and a big one, especially defensively.

I would counter that Wiggins hasn't really got the right kinds of development and structure around him to really reach his peak. I think a guy like Thibs would be ideal for Wiggins
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#192 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:02 pm

guest81 wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
guest81 wrote:

I would counter that Wiggins hasn't really got the right kinds of development and structure around him to really reach his peak. I think a guy like Thibs would be ideal for Wiggins

Yes, Thibs would either make or break him. Either way is good for me.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#193 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:08 pm

guest81 wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

He was the number one pick and that type of athlete, I kind of think that's where the expectations were, even if that's too high.
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#194 » by phonzadellika » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:33 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
phonzadellika wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I don't know, there seem to be pretty clear moments of non-hustle for Wiggins. Times where he's not in a defensive stance, running as hard as he could, or just seemingly not engaged. It's more than just a lack of expression.

I'm not worried about it. I was a lot lazier when I was 21 than I am now. He also shows hustle too. He'll be ok.

And also, we have Towns.

Lazy is a fatal flaw and #1 cause of underachieving. I'm lazy and I know firsthand how it works. I get mad at myself for this but still can't do anything about. Something drastic has to happen in ones life to defeat lazy. If you were very lazy at 21 chances are that you're still a lazy mofo even you don't want to admit.

I was definitely lazy from 15 through 24. All I did was play video games and party. The only drastic thing that happened to change my outlook was my desire to be more than I was. When I turned 24 and decided that it was time to start doing something with my life. I joined the Army for 5 years, went to Iraq twice, came back, finished my bachelors degree, started a career, started a side-business which I still run and still produces income, completed 2 masters degrees, re-modeled a house myself, recorded 2 full-length albums, wrote a children's book, and am now in the middle of writing a novel while raising 3 kids and working toward black-belts in Aikido and Karate. I just turned 38. I'm only lazy now when it comes to keeping the house clean and folding the laundry but you can't be on 24/7 :D .

Laziness is something you can overcome. You just have to desire self-actualization more than remaining static. You also have to work past the inertia. Wiggins has shown that he has some fire, he just needs the time and life-experience to grow into it.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#195 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:47 pm

I don't think Wiggins' problem is laziness. I think it's more a mental toughness thing. When he's motivated, he's engaged and active. When he's not, he's not. He needs to learn how to bring it consistently. He's naturally a low key guy, not a fire breather like KG so it's something he's going to have to work through. It's a little concerning because other young players on the team don't have this problem (you can't just pin it on youth) but he does appear to be a hard worker in practice and in the offseason and he has a desire to be great so I think he'll figure it out.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#196 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:11 pm

phonzadellika wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
phonzadellika wrote:
I'm not worried about it. I was a lot lazier when I was 21 than I am now. He also shows hustle too. He'll be ok.

And also, we have Towns.

Lazy is a fatal flaw and #1 cause of underachieving. I'm lazy and I know firsthand how it works. I get mad at myself for this but still can't do anything about. Something drastic has to happen in ones life to defeat lazy. If you were very lazy at 21 chances are that you're still a lazy mofo even you don't want to admit.

I was definitely lazy from 15 through 24. All I did was play video games and party. The only drastic thing that happened to change my outlook was my desire to be more than I was. When I turned 24 and decided that it was time to start doing something with my life. I joined the Army for 5 years, went to Iraq twice, came back, finished my bachelors degree, started a career, started a side-business which I still run and still produces income, completed 2 masters degrees, re-modeled a house myself, recorded 2 full-length albums, wrote a children's book, and am now in the middle of writing a novel while raising 3 kids and working toward black-belts in Aikido and Karate. I just turned 38. I'm only lazy now when it comes to keeping the house clean and folding the laundry but you can't be on 24/7 :D .

Laziness is something you can overcome. You just have to desire self-actualization more than remaining static. You also have to work past the inertia. Wiggins has shown that he has some fire, he just needs the time and life-experience to grow into it.

phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#197 » by phonzadellika » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:34 pm

C.lupus wrote:I don't think Wiggins' problem is laziness. I think it's more a mental toughness thing. When he's motivated, he's engaged and active. When he's not, he's not. He needs to learn how to bring it consistently. He's naturally a low key guy, not a fire breather like KG so it's something he's going to have to work through. It's a little concerning because other young players on the team don't have this problem (you can't just pin it on youth) but he does appear to be a hard worker in practice and in the offseason and he has a desire to be great so I think he'll figure it out.

Isn't 'when he's motivated he's active and engaged and when he's not he's not' the definition of laziness? I think mental toughness is more like, he shuts down if he makes mistakes or is getting beat by his guy or something.

I agree with the low-key part. Maybe he's just not sure about what he should be doing if he's not trying to score?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#198 » by C.lupus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:42 pm

phonzadellika wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I don't think Wiggins' problem is laziness. I think it's more a mental toughness thing. When he's motivated, he's engaged and active. When he's not, he's not. He needs to learn how to bring it consistently. He's naturally a low key guy, not a fire breather like KG so it's something he's going to have to work through. It's a little concerning because other young players on the team don't have this problem (you can't just pin it on youth) but he does appear to be a hard worker in practice and in the offseason and he has a desire to be great so I think he'll figure it out.

Isn't 'when he's motivated he's active and engaged and when he's not he's not' the definition of laziness? I think mental toughness is more like, he shuts down if he makes mistakes or is getting beat by his guy or something.

I agree with the low-key part. Maybe he's just not sure about what he should be doing if he's not trying to score?

It could be laziness. I guess what I was trying to get at is more not him knowing how to fight through mental and physical fatigue during a grinding schedule so he picks his times to turn it on and saves his energy other times. Its kind of the same thing but I guess a different root cause/motivation. Some guys are just lazy and don't ever work hard. I don't think Wiggins is that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves