Miller getting bought out

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Miller getting bought out 

Post#41 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:56 pm

guest81 wrote:If you sign a guy now, it's not like he's going to play at all. The rotation is pretty much set. You just need a guy for garbage time

There are some frontcourt minutes to be had with KG, Pek, and Belly all out. No wing/guard minutes, though.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#42 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:01 pm

lobishome wrote:Miller had some minutes and Tyus zero. When Smitch realized of the same which everybody had realized some months ago, the backup role went for Miller, not for Tyus and only after a couple of "good" games of Tyus the officed toke the decision of give him the backup role.

And if we have "concern for win"... why Lavine starts at PG only the pair games?

Really I can't understand this El Alamo battle defending Smitch and the office when we must be discussing about if would be better hang them by the nipples or by the bollocks.

It has nothing to do with defending Smitch. I don't even understand why you think I am. Saunders signed Miller probably to be the full time backup, Mitchell never played him that way.
I don't care if you criticize Mitchell's rotations, but Mitchell wasn't the one who decided to sign Miller either. Two different people with different ideas on how to play Miller.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#43 » by shangrila » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:03 pm

guest81 wrote:If you sign a guy now, it's not like he's going to play at all. The rotation is pretty much set. You just need a guy for garbage time

I disagree, at least when it comes to bigs. We've currently got 3 healthy players at PF/C (Towns, Dieng and Payne). We need all the help we can get there.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#44 » by lobishome » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
It has nothing to do with defending Smitch. I don't even understand why you think I am. Saunders signed Miller probably to be the full time backup, Mitchell never played him that way.
I don't care if you criticize Mitchell's rotations, but Mitchell wasn't the one who decided to sign Miller either. Two different people with different ideas on how to play Miller.

Was Mitchell's responsability, nooooooo, was Flip's responsability, noooooooo, was Newton's responsability, .. thanksfully this season is ending and the next one we'll have somebody for to crap all over him, as the rest of the teams of the civilized world.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Sometimes I have no idea how lobishome's brain is wired.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#46 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:28 pm

lobishome wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Was Mitchell's responsability, nooooooo, was Flip's responsability, noooooooo, was Newton's responsability, .. thanksfully this season is ending and the next one we'll have somebody for to crap all over him, as the rest of the teams of the civilized world.

Flip died and that changed things, that shouldn't be hard to understand. Anyway, we're talking about buying out someone on a vet minimum contract. It's hardly a problem.
lobishome
Analyst

Post#47 » by lobishome » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
lobishome wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Flip died and that changed things, that shouldn't be hard to understand.

"Flip died" ... we always end in the same point ... perhaps it's better to stop this discussion here.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#48 » by shrink » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Besides the roster spot to audition young guys on 10-day contracts, the buy out is also good for our image. As we approach a free agency unlike any before it, with 25 teams with cap space and free agents holding tremendous leverage on the teams they can choose, it helps to demonstrate that the Wolves will make moves to help an individual player with his career goals.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#49 » by guest81 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:56 pm

shrink wrote:Besides the roster spot to audition young guys on 10-day contracts, the buy out is also good for our image. As we approach a free agency unlike any before it, with 25 teams with cap space and free agents holding tremendous leverage on the teams they can choose, it helps to demonstrate that the Wolves will make moves to help an individual player with his career goals.

Sign with us, because when we start to tank, we'll let you go to a playoff team!. Yea I'm sure free agents are salivating over that
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,326

Post#50 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:40 pm

A shrink cameo? This thread has it all.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#51 » by shrink » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:57 pm

guest81 wrote:
shrink wrote:Besides the roster spot to audition young guys on 10-day contracts, the buy out is also good for our image. As we approach a free agency unlike any before it, with 25 teams with cap space and free agents holding tremendous leverage on the teams they can choose, it helps to demonstrate that the Wolves will make moves to help an individual player with his career goals.

Sign with us, because when we start to tank, we'll let you go to a playoff team!. Yea I'm sure free agents are salivating over that

:lol:

Seriously though, I think we'd all rather work for an employer that takes into account our own career goals and development, and this is probably magnified in the NBA. Those guys have short careers and need to make every year count, and once they sign with an NBA team, it's very difficult to change jobs without their employer's consent!

I think most anything we can do to improve the way our city looks to free agents, I'm in favor of it.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#52 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:22 pm

C.lupus wrote:Sometimes I have no idea how lobishome's brain is wired.

I had the exact same problem with a 3 way switch in my old house - none of the cables were color coded so I didn't know which ones were the traveler wires.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:37 pm

shangrila wrote:Whether or not Tyus is "ready" is irrelevant. He needs minutes if he's either going to develop or we see what we have in him. Either way this season is lost so there's no harm in making him the backup.

Personally I'd go with Stokes and Kilpatrick. A bruiser PF and a 40%+ shooter fills both our needs. And if neither works out we move on, simple and easy.

Looks like Kilpatrick is out.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/703331832268349441[/tweet]
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#54 » by shangrila » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:45 pm

C.lupus wrote:
shangrila wrote:Whether or not Tyus is "ready" is irrelevant. He needs minutes if he's either going to develop or we see what we have in him. Either way this season is lost so there's no harm in making him the backup.

Personally I'd go with Stokes and Kilpatrick. A bruiser PF and a 40%+ shooter fills both our needs. And if neither works out we move on, simple and easy.

Well...crap.

Orlando Johnson then.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#55 » by Saltine » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 am

minimus wrote:
Saltine wrote:Jarnell Stokes would be nice. There isn't much in the way of quality backup PG's in the Dleague, Lorenzo Brown was an all star down there...

I might be mistaken but was Stokes involved in some incidents? He is a bruiser that we need, but probable he will be liability against quick PF... I woud give MalcolmThomas a chance he was scouted by SAS. Also I still believe that LoBro a good player and a good fit here. I don't think that we have room for high volume scorer tho

One little incident, he and a teammate got in a fight, during a game. That's about it... this may be a useful quality with Payne on our Bench. :nod:
NEW YORK, January 29, 2015 – The NBA Development League today announced that Iowa Energy guard Kalin Lucas has been suspended three games and forward Jarnell Stokes has been suspended two games for fighting with each other on the team’s bench.

The incident, for which both players were ejected, occurred with 2:29 remaining in the third quarter of Iowa’s 124-120 victory over the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Jan. 27.

http://dleague.nba.com/news/iowa-energys-kalin-lucas-and-jarnell-stokes-suspended-for-fighting-012915/
lobishome
Analyst

Post#56 » by lobishome » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:10 pm

C.lupus wrote:Sometimes I have no idea how lobishome's brain is wired.

Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#57 » by Killboard » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:58 pm

shangrila wrote:
C.lupus wrote:

Well...crap.

Orlando Johnson then.

I woulnt understand why go with a guard. We have a hole in the frontcourt and Dieng is playing 40+ minutes everynight.

I dont understand why we are not bringing one already. Either Stokes for upside or J. Thompson for veteran presence but we need someone as quick as possible.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#58 » by Killboard » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/703703083755442177[/tweet]
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by C.lupus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Good for him. I was hoping he'd sign with a contender. I was going to have trouble rooting for him if he signed with the Clippers.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#60 » by southern wolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:15 am

Miller to the Spurs is a match made in heaven. He'll fit in well there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves