ImageImageImage

General trade discussion thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dleavitt24
Junior
And1: 61

Re: General trade discussion thread 

Post#521 » by Dleavitt24 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 12:05 am

Don't see why you wouldn't do that. Although I really like dunn you get a 26 year old wall, Muhammed and dieng are on there last year and frankly at this point the team would have its main pieces and just needs to sign cheaper glue peices. The 2 picks I'm okay with also because we dont need more youth. Only worry is 3 years from now wall wanting a boat load of money. Dunn seems like the type of player that falls short of walls ceiling but what he can be works with our dynamic and he seems like a loyal dude just like the other guys on the team. Porter I'm okay with too, there is something useful he can bring.

Problem with this trade is I don't like the timing...rather see what the team looks like the way it is.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#522 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Sep 8, 2016 12:22 am

Dleavitt24 wrote:Don't see why you wouldn't do that. Although I really like dunn you get a 26 year old wall, Muhammed and dieng are on there last year and frankly at this point the team would have its main pieces and just needs to sign cheaper glue peices. The 2 picks I'm okay with also because we dont need more youth. Only worry is 3 years from now wall wanting a boat load of money. Dunn seems like the type of player that falls short of walls ceiling but what he can be works with our dynamic and he seems like a loyal dude just like the other guys on the team. Porter I'm okay with too, there is something useful he can bring.

Problem with this trade is I don't like the timing...rather see what the team looks like the way it is.

He's not worth it. Mortgaging your future and current assets on a flawed capped out player like Wall is not a way for me. People (at least some) look at him like a superstar but he's clearly not one and never going to be.
esm1885
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#523 » by esm1885 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 2:13 am

Dleavitt24 wrote:Don't see why you wouldn't do that. Although I really like dunn you get a 26 year old wall, Muhammed and dieng are on there last year and frankly at this point the team would have its main pieces and just needs to sign cheaper glue peices. The 2 picks I'm okay with also because we dont need more youth. Only worry is 3 years from now wall wanting a boat load of money. Dunn seems like the type of player that falls short of walls ceiling but what he can be works with our dynamic and he seems like a loyal dude just like the other guys on the team. Porter I'm okay with too, there is something useful he can bring.

Yeah you definitely bring up some good point about timing and that, I just think if you have a chance to acquire a star player who is at the level you hope your young asset can get to, I don't see why you don't. He's young enough to fit with our core in their prime years
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Post#524 » by minimus » Thu Sep 8, 2016 3:09 am

Under Thibs command Dunn will be better than Wall.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#525 » by ace625214 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:24 pm

I hope no Wizards fans venture in here.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#526 » by HitmanCapone » Thu Sep 8, 2016 7:11 pm

ace625214 wrote:I hope no Wizards fans venture in here.

Why is that? Sometimes the truth hurts. Wall is far from a superstar and some could even say that he has already peaked. Basically I think he is what he is, I don't see him developing much further if at all.

Now with that said Wall is a better player than Dunn at this point, there is absolutely no question about that and although Dieng & Muhammad are on the last years of their deals Dieng is someone who Thibs liked during his draft process and although his contract is up after this year I really believe he'll be retained. Along with that I think a lot of people are really under-estimating/valuing Dieng.

With that said for myself the easy answer is a hard No. I like Dunn's potential(yes we can gamble on him with Ricky on the team) over Wall's production. I'm also very high on Dieng and when you throw in the fact that Rubio losses all value he has and could possibly force his way out(btw I'd rather have Rubio over Wall 100%) which would be another huge blunder and the two 1st round picks top 5(would have to be lottery protected for sure) and I think this trade is absolutely horrendous for us.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#527 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Sep 8, 2016 8:03 pm

What's interesting is that people here wouldn't trade Dunn for Butler but are ready to throw in Dieng and 2 lightly protected picks for an inferior player in Wall who doesn't play a position of need.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#528 » by ace625214 » Fri Sep 9, 2016 1:04 am

HitmanCapone wrote:

Why is that? Sometimes the truth hurts. Wall is far from a superstar and some could even say that he has already peaked. Basically I think he is what he is, I don't see him developing much further if at all.

Now with that said Wall is a better player than Dunn at this point, there is absolutely no question about that and although Dieng & Muhammad are on the last years of their deals Dieng is someone who Thibs liked during his draft process and although his contract is up after this year I really believe he'll be retained. Along with that I think a lot of people are really under-estimating/valuing Dieng.

With that said for myself the easy answer is a hard No. I like Dunn's potential(yes we can gamble on him with Ricky on the team) over Wall's production. I'm also very high on Dieng and when you throw in the fact that Rubio losses all value he has and could possibly force his way out(btw I'd rather have Rubio over Wall 100%) which would be another huge blunder and the two 1st round picks top 5(would have to be lottery protected for sure) and I think this trade is absolutely horrendous for us.

Wall is only 3.5 years older than Dunn. When he was Dunn's current age he was busy putting up 19.3/8.8/4.1 and making an all-star team. Last season Wall was 3rd in the league in assists and 23rd in scoring. He is not a superstar and I agree that he may have already peaked. However, he's already a 3-time AS that has made an All-NBA defensive team and averaged over 20ppg. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that Dunn doesn't do that by the time he's 26.

I don't think the crazy trade above is a good move for the Wolves at all, but the dismissive attitude towards Wall in this and the news thread is a bit ridiculous.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect

Post#529 » by HitmanCapone » Fri Sep 9, 2016 5:07 am

ace625214 wrote:
HitmanCapone wrote:

Wall is only 3.5 years older than Dunn. When he was Dunn's current age he was busy putting up 19.3/8.8/4.1 and making an all-star team. Last season Wall was 3rd in the league in assists and 23rd in scoring. He is not a superstar and I agree that he may have already peaked. However, he's already a 3-time AS that has made an All-NBA defensive team and averaged over 20ppg. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that Dunn doesn't do that by the time he's 26.

I don't think the crazy trade above is a good move for the Wolves at all, but the dismissive attitude towards Wall in this and the news thread is a bit ridiculous.

Why do people always try to compare age in the NBA? It honestly means absolutely nothing in the big picture. I don't know if Dunn will put up those type of numbers here although that has nothing to do with his individual talent it has more to do with the team surrounding him. Putting up big numbers on an empty roster isn't the same thing as doing it on a stacked team. I guess I just disagree as I think Dunn would easily put up 18/7/4 by year 3 if he sees 32mpg as well as 15 shots per night.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#530 » by Vindicater » Fri Sep 9, 2016 7:53 am

minimus wrote:Under Thibs command Dunn will be better than Wall.

My god someone has taken the lid right off.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,934

Post#531 » by Domejandro » Fri Sep 9, 2016 8:33 am

This thread has gone absolutely bananas, Kris Dunn for John Wall should not even be a question. John Wall averaged...

19.9 PPG, 10.2 APG, 4.9 RPG, 1.9 SPG, and is a high-quality defensive player. If you put him under Tom Thibodeau, he would thrive on this team.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#532 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Sep 9, 2016 3:36 pm

Domejandro wrote:This thread has gone absolutely bananas, Kris Dunn for John Wall should not even be a question. John Wall averaged...

19.9 PPG, 10.2 APG, 4.9 RPG, 1.9 SPG, and is a high-quality defensive player. If you put him under Tom Thibodeau, he would thrive on this team.

Excuse me, but 20 pts on 17.5 FGA & 4.5 FTA, 51%TS is not an achievement to brag about. He's also a pass first PG who gets the most touches in the entire league so he's a very ball dominant guard. His stats are probably the most inflated among all players. He's an inefficient high usage 1st option on a treadmill team going nowhere. Kind of reminds me of player we used to have on this team 2 years ago but at least he was an efficiency beast.
Were you among the people who were proclaiming Kevin a top 5 player? It's interesting that those people vanished without a trace nowadays.

But back to Wall, he's more of a support player ideally, he's a pass first PG who has no business being a top 2 player on a contender. You need 2 (or even 3) substantially better offensive players that he can pass the ball to. He could fit that role here next to KAT and hopefully Wiggins, but why pay over the top for a supporting player when you have a steady hand of Rubio and the potential of Dunn ? Not too mention the ego of John Wall and his contract.
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#533 » by Feilong » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:42 am

Domejandro wrote:This thread has gone absolutely bananas, Kris Dunn for John Wall should not even be a question. John Wall averaged...

It is not just us overrating or underrating our players/team.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/09/08/nba-season-preview-minnesota-timberwolves/
PREDICTION: 2nd in the Northwest Division, 5th in the Western Conference.
:o :o :o :o
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,934

Post#534 » by Domejandro » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:34 am

Feilong wrote:

I mean, I expect 50+ wins, so that article looks fair to me. :lol:
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#535 » by Minnesota Power » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Feilong wrote:

:rofl2:

We must keep our expectations in check pleeeeeeeeease!

If they get 5th in the western conference, great! But don't count on it, and definitely don't expect it. But boy do I hope I'm just being too pessimistic.
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect

Post#536 » by HitmanCapone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Minnesota Power wrote:
Feilong wrote:

:rofl2:

We must keep our expectations in check pleeeeeeeeease!

If they get 5th in the western conference, great! But don't count on it, and definitely don't expect it. But boy do I hope I'm just being too pessimistic.

Huh? I'm expecting anywhere from the 5th - 8th seed and I think anyone thinking otherwise really has their expectations way too low. We have a bonafide superstar in KAT and if just one of Wiggins or Lavine take the next step we will be a very difficult team to beat.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#537 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:56 am

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#538 » by shangrila » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:32 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243671/76ers-Pelicans-Express-Interest-In-Trading-For-Tyus-Jones\

Jones for Luwawu? Make it happen Thibs.

I'd take Korkmaz (sp?) as well.

Actually I might prefer not to get a player back. We're already 3 deep at pretty much every position so I don't see what an extra body would do for us right now. A shame that Luwawu came over this year, he'd have been ideal if he was still in Europe.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Re: RE: Re: General trade discussion thread 

Post#539 » by minimus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:33 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243671/76ers-Pelicans-Express-Interest-In-Trading-For-Tyus-Jones\

Jones for Luwawu? Make it happen Thibs.

I would do this in a heartbeat. Luwawu + Dunn defensive potential is intriguing. Also both have potential as advanced ball handlers who can pass.

Make it happen, Thibs!
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#540 » by Nitroglycerin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:50 am

76ers
Luwawu
Jerami Grant

Pels
No one prolly. All of them are injured
Trust the PRosas!