ImageImageImage

How would you rate the Wolves Draft?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

How would you rate the 2016 draft night for Minnesota?

A ("things went better than planned!")
35%
B ("quite happy with this outcome, but could have been better")
27%
C ("at least we didn't eff up")
16%
D ("slightly disappointed, we missed an opportunity to do something better")
12%
F ("very disappointed, we screwed up big time")
10%

Total votes: 82

mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Re: How would you rate the Wolves Draft? 

Post#21 » by mandurugo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:12 pm

As a huge Rubio fan, I think it was a great pick. Going into the draft the identified weaknesses on the team were PF position and shooting. But since Rubio's been here, the biggest problem the team has had has consistently been when he sits. If it turns out that Dunn can play with both Rubio and LaVine (and not having watched any significant amount of tape I'm absurdly confident that he can), it seems like the most important hole in the team was filled. I also feel like we haven't seen Bjelly's best, I think he'll be much more comfortable this year and negate the PF need. Shooting is an issue, we'll see how much internal improvement there is - I'm fairly confident Wiggins improves and LaVine maintains his post all-star numbers. All said - this draft addressed the teams biggest need in my mind. I'm not interested in trading any of the players, though I am curious to see who they'll pursue in FA.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#22 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm

A. Dunn is the point guard of the future. One that can strike fear into defenses with how he can get to the bucket. Projects elite defensively with his athleticism.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#23 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm

That's optimistic to think he's been drafted to shore up the bench, but if Woj says Rubio is being shopped and likely to be traded, then we should assume Rubio is being shopped and likely to be traded.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#24 » by shangrila » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:44 pm

My list going into the draft was Bender, Murray then Dunn and Hield on the same level. So I guess I'm content with how it worked out.

I like his potential guarding either guard spot and I like having a pass first, Rubio-esque PG backing Ricky up. He looks fairly versatile offensively too, aside from his shot which needs work. On ball, off ball, posting up, he has a little of everything there. I worry about his turnovers and his handle, which seems a little high to me, but these things can be improved on.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Post#25 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Neeva wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:If we drafted Dunn for the purpose of him leading the 2nd unit while getting a bit of minutes at the SG position with Rubio and being the replacement if Rubio gets injured, it B+ or A- from me.

If we declined a Lavine + Dunn for Butler trade, it's an F from me.

If we picked Dunn so that we could trade Rubio for anything less than a top 40 player in the league on a fairly long contract, it's an F too.

I just think that Thibs is smart and will keep Rubio in the same role as he has been until now, so judging from that perspective, it's probably a B+ from me.

Voted D, which I could switch to B.

Butler is so overated ( and injury prone) would he even be an all star in the west?? He's not worth two young players with tons of potential IMO.

I would say Butler is underrated but to get to his potential you have to run your offense through him a good portion of the time. So playing next to Rose or Rubio will drop his effectiveness, he needs a PG or combo guard next to him who can hit 3s consistently. If he gets a solid 3 ball he's going to be close to unstoppable at the SG position.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/745706034426163200[/tweet]
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#26 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:08 pm

We wont regret anything. Dunn is legit.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Post#27 » by guest81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:16 pm

I don't expect Dunn to play all that much honestly barring injury. I don't believe for a second that Thibs is going to let Dunn be the starter no matter what. If it was any other position maybe, but learning to play PG takes time.

Dunn to me, looks at worst, Rubio 2.0. Thibs has done wonders with other point guards though, so I am absolutely giving him the benefit of the doubt if he loves the guy. I'm quite sure Thibs has done his homework
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#28 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:17 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:If we drafted Dunn for the purpose of him leading the 2nd unit while getting a bit of minutes at the SG position with Rubio and being the replacement if Rubio gets injured, it B+ or A- from me.

If we picked Dunn so that we could trade Rubio for anything less than a top 40 player in the league on a fairly long contract, it's an F.

This is how I feel.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#29 » by Killboard » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:That's optimistic to think he's been drafted to shore up the bench, but if Woj says Rubio is being shopped and likely to be traded, then we should assume Rubio is being shopped and likely to be traded.

Woj sources of information are player's agents. He owes them favors. Why he didnt call rubio shopping earlier then?
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#30 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:32 pm

LOL at the people grading this an "F" Someone find me a grade of an F from a reputable publication. Thanks.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#31 » by Piecake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Murray at first glance seems like an obvious better fit at first, fits a need, and is an amazing shooter. He is also apparently a very hard worker and a good guy. With Thibs taking Dunn, I would have to imagine that Thibs thinks there is a serious flaw in his game. That flaw likely is defense, and if Thibs actually did pass on him because of his defense then I feel better about the Dunn pick.

If Thibs really did think that Murray's defensive potential was just too awful, then I think that tells us something. I don't see Murray as someone who can beat someone off the dribble. He needs to run off screens and needs to be set up to rain daggers on people. What guards in the NBA with that type of offensive and defensive game actually get significant playing time in the NBA?
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#32 » by greenl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Bulls fan: Love the Dunn pick for you guys. Thibs will turn him into a defensive monster who is a capable spot up shooter. Also- very relieved we did not trade Butler.
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#33 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:43 pm

A
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#34 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:43 pm

WINNER: Minnesota Timberwolves
With back-to-back rookies of the year in Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns, a stable of solid young role players in Zach LaVine, Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng and new coach Tom Thibodeau the Timberwolves were already generating buzz that an Oklahoma City-level uprising could be in the works for the franchise with the NBA's longest postseason drought.

Thibodeau has long coveted Providence's Kris Dunn, arguably the most NBA-ready and easily the best point guard in draft. But the likelihood that Dunn would be available with the fifth pick wasn't very high with teams expecting to trade up to get him at third or fourth. But after the Celtics chose Brown and the Suns selected Dragan Bender, Dunn was waiting to be plucked by the league's most exciting young team. Unable to use Dunn as part of a package that could've yielded All-Star Jimmy Butler, Thibodeau will have to settle for having a defensive-minded floor leader to help bring this collection of talent together.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/draft-winners-and-losers-045714845.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#35 » by Note30 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Klomp wrote:WINNER: Minnesota Timberwolves
With back-to-back rookies of the year in Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns, a stable of solid young role players in Zach LaVine, Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng and new coach Tom Thibodeau the Timberwolves were already generating buzz that an Oklahoma City-level uprising could be in the works for the franchise with the NBA's longest postseason drought.

Thibodeau has long coveted Providence's Kris Dunn, arguably the most NBA-ready and easily the best point guard in draft. But the likelihood that Dunn would be available with the fifth pick wasn't very high with teams expecting to trade up to get him at third or fourth. But after the Celtics chose Brown and the Suns selected Dragan Bender, Dunn was waiting to be plucked by the league's most exciting young team. Unable to use Dunn as part of a package that could've yielded All-Star Jimmy Butler, Thibodeau will have to settle for having a defensive-minded floor leader to help bring this collection of talent together.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/draft-winners-and-losers-045714845.html

Not one mention of Rubes.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#36 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:01 pm

AirP. wrote:
Neeva wrote:

If we declined a Lavine + Dunn for Butler trade, it's an F from me.

If we picked Dunn so that we could trade Rubio for anything less than a top 40 player in the league on a fairly long contract, it's an F too.

I just think that Thibs is smart and will keep Rubio in the same role as he has been until now, so judging from that perspective, it's probably a B+ from me.

Voted D, which I could switch to B.

Butler is so overated ( and injury prone) would he even be an all star in the west?? He's not worth two young players with tons of potential IMO.

I would say Butler is underrated but to get to his potential you have to run your offense through him a good portion of the time. So playing next to Rose or Rubio will drop his effectiveness, he needs a PG or combo guard next to him who can hit 3s consistently. If he gets a solid 3 ball he's going to be close to unstoppable at the SG position.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/745706034426163200[/tweet]

Rubio's best shot is the spot up 3, if we don't count the free throw shot. The reason there is not enough awareness of this is because we've never had an offensive scheme that would get him this shot consistently. I'm always happy when I see Rubio getting that look, because I know that it's always a good shot to take.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Post#37 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:10 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Rubio's best shot is the spot up 3, if we don't count the free throw shot. The reason there is not enough awareness of this is because we've never had an offensive scheme that would get him this shot consistently. I'm always happy when I see Rubio getting that look, because I know that it's always a good shot to take.

Well, his catch and shoot 3pt% was 32.7%, pull up 3pt% not much worse at 32.3%

3pt% with 0 dribbles(the majority of his 3pt shots)... 32.7%

Only taking 3s after dribbling did he shoot a solid 3pt% but it was on such a small amount of shots(about .3 shots per game combined)
1 dribble 40%
2 dribbles 50%
7+ dribbles 42.9%

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201937/tracking/shots/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#38 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:15 pm

That's not anybody else's fault but his. Rubio rarely gets himself positioned for a 3 point shot, he's always just following the ball around withotu an intent to score. He needs to get a lot better at playing without the ball and stay open when he is open, and stop trying to control every part of the passing game. Then he's got to take those shots confidently without passing them up. He needs to be more aggressive and shoot the ball even if he misses, that's been something that he needed to work on since coming into the league.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#39 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:17 pm

I voted D, hope I'm wrong but don't like Dunn. Firstly wish we'd traded up for Bender. Secondly wish we'd taken the Sixers package of Noel, Covington, Luwawu and Skal/Korkmaz if it was really out there. Thirdly wish we'd taken Murray, Fourthly wish we'd taken just about anyone else.

Hope I'm having a big bowl of crow watching the playoffs next year.
Adenusi
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#40 » by Adenusi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:29 pm

A. Only two way player left on the board who can contribute immediately.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves