Sam Mitchell is not happy...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,326

Re: Sam Mitchell is not happy... 

Post#41 » by Calinks » Sat Sep 3, 2016 5:20 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Smitch was interim, he didn't have a permanent position. Interim one usually means until a permanent one is found.

Again, I am not saying Sam shouldn't have been let go.

I suppose the debate boils down to personal feelings of how one should conduct themselves in business. I think Sam's firing should have been handled better. I think anyone who came into the position he did with their friend and mentor dying and took over a franchise was in a tough spot. Sam had to totally change his position and get this team ready to compete for an NBA season. He did so and the team had a decent season. A lot was put on his plate and he handled it. You can sit down with the guy and tell him face to face why you are going a different direction.

Even without the years long relationship he had with the organization, it just the right thing to do. Ask yourselves this? Would Flip have done something like that to Sam? You don't think Flip would have sat down with the man? Glenn Taylor has a track record with poorly handling things like this. He rubbed KG the wrong way with the trade scenario and comments made. The stories coming out about how Casey was treated in his final days here as a coach. It's something that absolutely could and should have been handled with more tact as an employer.

People think Smitch was a trash a coach and that's fine, doesn't mean you should treat him like crap and do the bare minimum when letting him go. If Smitch had done things to Glenn personally, blatantly disrespected him or caused him problems I would understand him doing this, they had a contentious relationship, but I haven't heard anything about that.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#42 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:29 pm

Calinks wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:Smitch was interim, he didn't have a permanent position. Interim one usually means until a permanent one is found.

I suppose the debate boils down to personal feelings of how one should conduct themselves in business. I think Sam's firing should have been handled better. I think anyone who came into the position he did with their friend and mentor dying and took over a franchise was in a tough spot. Sam had to totally change his position and get this team ready to compete for an NBA season. He did so and the team had a decent season. A lot was put on his plate and he handled it. You can sit down with the guy and tell him face to face why you are going a different direction.

Even without the years long relationship he had with the organization, it just the right thing to do. Ask yourselves this? Would Flip have done something like that to Sam? You don't think Flip would have sat down with the man? Glenn Taylor has a track record with poorly handling things like this. He rubbed KG the wrong way with the trade scenario and comments made. The stories coming out about how Casey was treated in his final days here as a coach. It's something that absolutely could and should have been handled with more tact as an employer.

People think Smitch was a trash a coach and that's fine, doesn't mean you should treat him like crap and do the bare minimum when letting him go. If Smitch had done things to Glenn personally, blatantly disrespected him or caused him problems I would understand him doing this, they had a contentious relationship, but I haven't heard anything about that.

You're right about it in many ways but I don't give a damn about this situation at the end of the day. All these people and their daily life aren't my concern. I love watching Wolves basketball for my entertainment and I believe the product should get better after all of this not so pretty crap. When Wolves will be providing good show for me I'm not gonna think about how Taylor screwed over Smitch. A lot of worse injustice happens every day. From my point Taylor can keep screwing people left and right if Wolves become the new Spurs on the court.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#43 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:54 pm

You're right about it in many ways but I don't give a damn about this situation at the end of the day. All these people and their daily life aren't my concern. I love watching Wolves basketball for my entertainment and I believe the product should get better after all of this not so pretty crap. When Wolves will be providing good show for me I'm not gonna think about how Taylor screwed over Smitch. A lot of worse injustice happens every day. From my point Taylor can keep screwing people left and right if Wolves become the new Spurs on the court.

The problem is that it reflects poorly on the organization.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#44 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:58 pm

Calinks wrote:

Trashing Kevin Love on his way out. How he handled Milt Newton. How he handled Arnie Kander. Allowing Kahn to make Rambis write a report to try to remain the head coach. No matter how people feel about the quality of those people's skills or their replacements, the way things were handled do not make the organization look good.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#45 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 7:11 pm

Mattya wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Trashing Kevin Love on his way out. How he handled Milt Newton. How he handled Arnie Kander. Allowing Kahn to make Rambis write a report to try to remain the head coach. No matter how people feel about the quality of those people's skills or their replacements, the way things were handled do not make the organization look good.

Nothing did more damage to the franchise than a decade of losing. That's why players and the public don't have this team in high regard. If Wolves start winning with Thibs and the new core nobody will care or remember about the petty Taylor stuff.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 7:39 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Calinks wrote:

Nothing did more damage to the franchise than a decade of losing. That's why players and the public don't have this team in high regard. If Wolves start winning with Thibs and the new core nobody will care or remember about the petty Taylor stuff.

Plenty of people will remember Taylor trashing the teams greatest player ever on his way out. It shouldn't be this hard to treat employees better.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#47 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 7:46 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Plenty of people will remember Taylor trashing the teams greatest player ever on his way out. It shouldn't be this hard to treat employees better.

What people are you talking about and why they should matter? Players will always go or stay where they can win games and get their checks cashed. Thibs signed here despite Taylor's past, young core say about wanting to be here. Some of you trying to make a bigger deal out of it. Winning and money are by far the most important things.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:05 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

What people are you talking about and why they should matter? Players will always go or stay where they can win games and get their checks cashed. Thibs signed here despite Taylor's past, young core say about wanting to be here. Some of you trying to make a bigger deal out of it. Winning and money are by far the most important things.

It took promises of ownership for KG to even consider coming back to Minnesota and now it looks like that may be in jeopardy and who knows how that will impact KG's future ties to the organization.

Winning and money are important, but you are kidding yourself if you don't think how ownership acts plays a big role in FA decisions. How the organization is viewed beyond winning is important.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#49 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:40 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

It took promises of ownership for KG to even consider coming back to Minnesota and now it looks like that may be in jeopardy and who knows how that will impact KG's future ties to the organization.

Winning and money are important, but you are kidding yourself if you don't think how ownership acts plays a big role in FA decisions. How the organization is viewed beyond winning is important.

Yes, I think whatever was done with KG will have little influence with players of new generation. KG is a weirdo and I think not every player on the team is in awe of him. If the franchise is willing to give them enough money and the team is winning it wouldn't matter to what was done to KG. And what was really done to KG really? The biggest contract in history at its time?

And I'm quitting this argument: money and winning matter, other stuff is of little significance.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#50 » by LordBaldric » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:45 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

KG never had nearly enough $$$ to buy this team. And as far as the organization taking a reputation hit, we just hired the top coach on the market! Believe me, the Bulls treated Thibs on the way out way worse than Sam's petty complaints.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:57 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

Yes, I think whatever was done with KG will have little influence with players of new generation. KG is a weirdo and I think not every player on the team is in awe of him. If the franchise is willing to give them enough money and the team is winning it wouldn't matter to what was done to KG. And what was really done to KG really? The biggest contract in history at its time?

And I'm quitting this argument: money and winning matter, other stuff is of little significance.

Taylor trashed him on the way out. A fan favorite, greatest player in franchise history, someone if we didn't have we might not even have a team. For a guy who very much cares about his reputation, that is huge. KAT seems to think very very very highly of him.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:03 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

KG never had nearly enough $$$ to buy this team. And as far as the organization taking a reputation hit, we just hired the top coach on the market! Believe me, the Bulls treated Thibs on the way out way worse than Sam's petty complaints.

He does have more than enough cash to by minority ownership, which if Taylor wouldn't sell minority ownership to then I'm guessing any relationship would be done, if not forever, then for a significant amount of time.

This isn't the only time Taylor has done something like this. We were very lucky with Thibs. The Bulls ownership/front office is a prime example of how poor treatment of your employees can impact your franchise. They have only been able to draw out of prime superstars on the last legs of their careers when they were in great position to make runs at championships. Their ownership and management has been detrimental to that franchise.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#53 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:14 pm

When did the Bulls get screwed in FA because of management issues? Bosh and Lebron were always going to team up with Wade. And they had Rose who refused to recruit players and wasn't well liked by other stars. Melo almost signed there before backing out to take bigger money in NY.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:20 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:When did the Bulls get screwed in FA because of management issues? Bosh and Lebron were always going to team up with Wade. And they had Rose who refused to recruit players and wasn't well liked by other stars. Melo almost signed there before backing out to take bigger money in NY.

That is the problem. Nobody took them seriously in free agency. Their treatment of Thibs and his staff is a major blemish. Bulls had the winning team, the good coach, the market, the money and still couldn't get any free agents that could make a difference. Even going back to the Jordan years they have had problems.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#55 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:39 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:When did the Bulls get screwed in FA because of management issues? Bosh and Lebron were always going to team up with Wade. And they had Rose who refused to recruit players and wasn't well liked by other stars. Melo almost signed there before backing out to take bigger money in NY.

That is the problem. Nobody took them seriously in free agency. Their treatment of Thibs and his staff is a major blemish. Bulls had the winning team, the good coach, the market, the money and still couldn't get any free agents that could make a difference. Even going back to the Jordan years they have had problems.

I believe Bosh took them seriously until Lebron committed to Heat. And those 3 guys had planned to do it for long time. Melo took them seriously. So who didn't take them seriously? It seems to me like you're talking with little substance.

edit: Pau signed a cheap deal to play there.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:43 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I believe Bosh took them seriously until Lebron committed to Heat. And those 3 guys had planned to do it for long time. Melo took them seriously. So who didn't take them seriously? It seems to me like you're talking with little substance.

Pau didn't sign a cheap deal, and he was past his prime.

Melo didn't take them seriously enough to sign there.

What substance do you ever bring?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#57 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:52 pm

Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Lol, so an FA takes a team seriously only of he signs there?

And I see that you're getting your panties twisted in a bunch so I'm gonna vacate this argument as well. BYE.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 3, 2016 9:58 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
Mattya wrote:
NewWolvesOrder wrote:

Lol, so an FA takes a team seriously only of he signs there?

And I see that you're getting your panties twisted in a bunch so I'm gonna vacate this argument as well. BYE.

He didn't take them seriously enough to go to and Eastern Conference contender and instead decided to stay on the Knicks.

Its funny you already said you were done with this argument, then you had to come back and try to say I'm not bringing any substance, but I'm the one getting my panties in a twist? Bye for the second time. Tries to throw insults, but can't handle when it comes back at him. Typical NewWolvesOrder.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#59 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 4, 2016 12:07 am

Mattya wrote:Trashing Kevin Love on his way out. How he handled Milt Newton. How he handled Arnie Kander. Allowing Kahn to make Rambis write a report to try to remain the head coach. No matter how people feel about the quality of those people's skills or their replacements, the way things were handled do not make the organization look good.

He didn't trash Love. He said he doesn't think he's a guy you build around to win a championship, and that he'll have to adjust no no longer being "the guy." Which was 100% true.
How did he handle Arnie Kander? By not letting him stay on staff if he wanted to telecommute from Denver? A hard business to do that in.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#60 » by Vindicater » Sun Sep 4, 2016 12:14 am

I read Kahn...

Now I won't sleep for weeks.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves