Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: 2017 Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by Mattya » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:44 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
Mattya wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:I'm all in on the "Bam-wagon". He is exactly what this team needs. An athletic freak that can rebound, defend, and finish strong. I think he is quick enough to handle some guards on switches too, despite weighing 255 pounds. Also looks like a strong outlet passer and has potential mid-range game as well.

I've like what I have seen from him as well. He definitely isn't incapable of improving as a FT and mid range shooter. Not all "all in" though, I need to see Giles and how/if he comes back from injury. If I'm going big and he can come back and he can stay healthy, he would be rally tough for me to pass up.

Giles is a stud, no doubt. I just worry about his acl tears in both knees during high school - one of the instances also involved torn mcl and meniscus. Even if he is able to come back and play meaningful minutes this season, that doesn't guaranty a healthy career. In the end though, I will be happy with Bam, Giles, or Markkanen. Not a bad year to have a top 10 pick.

Yea, if Giles can show he can be healthy, he is a for sure top pick. Which we happen to be right now. I would probably trade back to get Bam or Lauri and get an extra asset.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,884

Post#42 » by Klomp » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:06 pm

I haven't really watched much college ball. How's OG looking?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#43 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 12:06 am

Klomp wrote:I haven't really watched much college ball. How's OG looking?

Hes been a beast defensively which I think many expected. Still not sold on his jumper at all though. He has potential with it, but hes only really had 2 good shooting games the other 4 have been pretty bad. And his FT% is a huge red flag when it comes to his shooting potential. Shot 47% last year from the line and shot 59% so far this year. I think worst case scenario he is a stud defender that can guard 2-4.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#44 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 12:09 am

Mattya wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
Mattya wrote:
I've like what I have seen from him as well. He definitely isn't incapable of improving as a FT and mid range shooter. Not all "all in" though, I need to see Giles and how/if he comes back from injury. If I'm going big and he can come back and he can stay healthy, he would be rally tough for me to pass up.

Giles is a stud, no doubt. I just worry about his acl tears in both knees during high school - one of the instances also involved torn mcl and meniscus. Even if he is able to come back and play meaningful minutes this season, that doesn't guaranty a healthy career. In the end though, I will be happy with Bam, Giles, or Markkanen. Not a bad year to have a top 10 pick.

Yea, if Giles can show he can be healthy, he is a for sure top pick. Which we happen to be right now. I would probably trade back to get Bam or Lauri and get an extra asset.

I will say a guy I know that sees the practices told me before his last surgery Giles had 0 explosion. He has told me that Giles now has the same explosion he had in high school which is great news. With that said, I dont think you can take him #1 in this draft with his injury history and the amount of talent that is in this draft. I have a hard time even thinking you can take him top 5. Just so much risk with taking him. 3 knee surgeries and hes still only 18, thats scary.
mkl2021
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#45 » by mkl2021 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:34 pm

Guards: Fultz, Smith, Fox, and Ball. If we go here then we need to get rid of one or maybe two of our point guards. Who might want Rubio and could we get anything for him? A three guard lineup of Fultz, Lavine, and Dunn could be pretty nice.

Wings: Jackson, OG. We could really use some wing defense and I think both these players could help. I think OG is probably a later lottery pick (8+) or maybe lower, so if we really want him maybe we could trade back. Jackson is more polished and better all around so he's probably a top 3-4 pick.

Bigs: Markkannen, Adebayo. Long term front court mate with Towns?

At this point I think I will pass on all the Duke players and wouldn't be upset if we moved the pick for a veteran
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#46 » by Killboard » Mon Dec 5, 2016 6:05 pm

Aiming between the 5th and 10th I have my eyes on:

Wings: Bridges, OG, Isaac, Tatum
Bigs: Markannen, Adebayo, Rabb

I would go with the best defensive prospect that didn't kill us on offense.
We need a forward who can play both positions to slide Wiggins at the 2 or towns at C depending on the matchups. If we don't get that in FA pick OG, Isaac or Bridges make the more sense.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#47 » by TheProdigy » Mon Dec 5, 2016 9:50 pm

Bam highlights against UCLA:
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#48 » by Piecake » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:13 pm

mkl2021 wrote:Guards: Fultz, Smith, Fox, and Ball. If we go here then we need to get rid of one or maybe two of our point guards. Who might want Rubio and could we get anything for him? A three guard lineup of Fultz, Lavine, and Dunn could be pretty nice.

Wings: Jackson, OG. We could really use some wing defense and I think both these players could help. I think OG is probably a later lottery pick (8+) or maybe lower, so if we really want him maybe we could trade back. Jackson is more polished and better all around so he's probably a top 3-4 pick.

At this point I think I will pass on all the Duke players and wouldn't be upset if we moved the pick for a veteran

I personally prefer OG because he can play the 4. He is a beast defensively and would solve a lot of our problems with poor depth due to his position flexibility. We could eventually have a 3-4 big man rotation with Towns-OG-Dieng and a bit of Aldrich while OG can also be used as back up duty at the 3, which would give more time for Wiggins at the 2.

The other players in the draft don't give us that, and OG gives us what we desperately need, a beast defender with quickness, strength, and length that can defend 2-5. All he really needs to do on offensive is able to hit a corner 3, and he at least has some potential in that.

I didn't put Bjelica in there because I am not all that confident that he is going to be a part of our long term plans.
mkl2021
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#49 » by mkl2021 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:52 pm

Piecake wrote:
mkl2021 wrote:Guards: Fultz, Smith, Fox, and Ball. If we go here then we need to get rid of one or maybe two of our point guards. Who might want Rubio and could we get anything for him? A three guard lineup of Fultz, Lavine, and Dunn could be pretty nice.

I personally prefer OG because he can play the 4. He is a beast defensively and would solve a lot of our problems with poor depth due to his position flexibility. We could eventually have a 3-4 big man rotation with Towns-OG-Dieng and a bit of Aldrich while OG can also be used as back up duty at the 3, which would give more time for Wiggins at the 2.

The other players in the draft don't give us that, and OG gives us what we desperately need, a beast defender with quickness, strength, and length that can defend 2-5. All he really needs to do on offensive is able to hit a corner 3, and he at least has some potential in that.

I didn't put Bjelica in there because I am not all that confident that he is going to be a part of our long term plans.

I think OG would be a great fit for our team. I'm just worried about us drafting in the top 5 and passing on him because he's in a slightly lower tier. OG would probably be the best fit and Fultz is probably the only one I personally would take over him.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#50 » by Killboard » Tue Dec 6, 2016 6:54 pm

The people in the draft board are saying that in the 4/5-to 12 is probably all around fit, because there is a lot of talent available with high potential picks all over the place.

The good thing about OG is that he is a solid pick beacuse he has a high floor high potential. He will never be an explosive scorer but he can be a efficient offensive player, has really good passing skills, his jumper isnt broken by any means and he can punish smaller players in the post.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mattya » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:44 pm

I hope we can grab a late first or early second and take on the Tacko Fall project.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tacko-Fall-81843/

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#52 » by ace625214 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:09 pm

The thing that stuck out to me the most in that video is how quickly Fall can dunk it after he gets a board. Since he hardly has to leave the ground and seems to have good hands, the ball is through the hoop before you've even fully grasped who ended up with the ball.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#53 » by TheProdigy » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:32 pm

Mattya wrote:I hope we can grab a late first or early second and take on the Tacko Fall project.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tacko-Fall-81843/

Wow this guy is nuts. Pretty sure he is holding the rim with his feet on the ground in some of those dunks.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mattya » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:48 pm

If he can develop and just finish in the paint, that is just a bonus. You are drafting him because he could potentially shut down the paint with his size and length alone.
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#55 » by alabamawolf » Thu Dec 8, 2016 9:23 pm

He would be absolutely manhandled in the NBA. I remember seeing play in high school and he lacked the skill to play for power 5 schools. He also doesn't move well and he catches worse than DIeng
Mattya
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mattya » Thu Dec 8, 2016 9:40 pm

alabamawolf wrote:He would be absolutely manhandled in the NBA. I remember seeing play in high school and he lacked the skill to play for power 5 schools. He also doesn't move well and he catches worse than DIeng

That why being 7'6 and having a rumored 8'+ wingspan is valuable. It makes up for you being pushed around and being slow. Plus he is only just about to turn 21.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,884

Post#57 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:20 pm

You guys wanna wait another 4 years for Fall to develop? That's what it's going to take. He's not even going to be as good as Thon Maker, who's gotten a grand total of 19 NBA minutes so far this season.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#58 » by YourBuddy » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:59 pm

Klomp wrote:You guys wanna wait another 4 years for Fall to develop? That's what it's going to take. He's not even going to be as good as Thon Maker, who's gotten a grand total of 19 NBA minutes so far this season.

Based on?

Developing young players is how good teams have sustained success.
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#59 » by alabamawolf » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:10 pm

Fall would be a wasted draft pick. Lacks the strength and coordination to play in the NBA. He's playing in the perfect league for his skill set now. Even if he develops he's going to get hurt playing in the NBA. Thon Maker is 3x the prospect Taco is

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#60 » by TheProdigy » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:18 pm

alabamawolf wrote:Fall would be a wasted draft pick. Lacks the strength and coordination to play in the NBA. He's playing in the perfect league for his skill set now. Even if he develops he's going to get hurt playing in the NBA. Thon Maker is 3x the prospect Taco is

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Alot of people said the same about Rudy Gobert. I actually think Fall moves pretty well given that he is 7'6. Obviously not a WCS level athlete, but there is definitely value to being able to block shots without jumping.

I'm not advocating taking Fall with a top 5 pick, but if we somehow end up with the 14th pick for example, I might be willing to take a flyer on him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves