ImageImageImage

Would Jamal Murray + Tyus Jones have been a better 2nd Unit Fit than Kris Dunn?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 14

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#1 » by Jammer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:25 am

I asked this question once before and it got shot down. I'm wondering if after 32 games people's opinions have changed.

Right now the Wolves Second Unit Lacks shooters and scorers.

Wiggins or LaVine usually plays with the second unit at shooting guard, with Shabazz Muhammad taking some of their minutes in the starting lineup.

If the Wolves had drafted Jamal Murray, who asked the Wolves to draft him, instead of Dunn,
then the starting lineup would remain intact (averaging 82.3 ppg; 30.7 rpg and 17.2 apg)
while the 2nd unit could get two 3 point shooters in the lineup that the Wolves don't play presently:

PG: Tyus Jones
SG: Jamal Murray (who could play with the starters since he spreads the floor if Zach or Wiggy is the 2nd unit leader)
SF: Shabazz Muhammad
PF: Nemanja Bjelica
C: Cole Aldrich (Big Body Center) or Jordan Hill (Mobile Center)

It just seems like the Wolves 2nd unit would have been better off with two 3 Point Shooters (Tyus Jones and Jamal Murray) then the current non-shooting lineup. It would also make it easier for Shabazz Muhammad, Cole Aldrich and Bjelica to operate.

Having watched every televised Wolves game this season, including pre-season and summer league, just wondering if others see it that way too.

This question is more about how the 2nd unit as a whole would function with Tyus Jones and another 3 point shooter (Murray or Zach, since Murray's need to be guarded would let him play with the starters for a few minutes if Zach or Wiggins were made the 2nd unit leader on any given day). It's more about fit and the skill balance of the entire 2nd Unit and not simply who is the better player.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: Would Jamal Murrary + Tyus Jones have been a better 2nd Unit Fit than Kris Dunn? 

Post#2 » by Mattya » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:33 am

We are missing defenders too.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Would Jamal Murrary + Tyus Jones have been a better 2nd Unit Fit than Kris Dunn? 

Post#3 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:39 am

We also need Shabazz out of the rotation (and the Timberwolves) ASAP. We need to give that SF position to Bjelica, play Rush and Tyus more.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#4 » by Jammer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:41 am

Mattya wrote:We are missing defenders too.

You ARE CORRECT.
However, although the 2nd Unit could use a true rim protector as well as an SF with 6' 7" true height (LeBron James, Luol Deng and Rudy Gay all had pre-draft measurements without shoes of 6' 7" whereas Shabazz Muhammad is only 6' 4.75" without shoes),
the 2nd unit still labors to score.
So, even if you had a rim protecting center and a full sized SF,
the scoring threat of two 3 point shooters like Jones and Murray would not only provide scoring, but the entire unit would have an easier time on offense.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#5 » by Mattya » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:50 am

Jammer wrote:
Mattya wrote:We are missing defenders too.[/quote

You ARE CORRECT.
However, although the 2nd Unit could use a true rim protector as well as an SF with 6' 7" true height (LeBron James, Luol Deng and Rudy Gay all had pre-draft measurements without shoes of 6' 7" whereas Shabazz Muhammad skipped pre-draft measurements),
the 2nd unit still labors to score.
So, even if you had a rim protecting center and a full sized SF,
the scoring threat of two 3 point shooters like Jones and Murray would not only provide scoring, but the entire unit would have an easier time on offense.

Well I guess we are going to have to disagree. Whatever you gain in shooting, you lose defensively and passing. The players we were expecting to be scorers(Bazz) and spacers(Bjelica) haven't produces what they usually would have. Those guys not doing those things, while not being good defensively, are what is hurting the bench the worst. With Murray, that bench doesn't have a single defensive player.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#6 » by Calinks » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:08 am

I think its worth a thought. Dunn can be a good defensive player but he hasn't shown to be that yet and the team is so bad defensively it makes it hard for anyone one defender to shine as well. For this season Murray and Tyus in the back court may have been better overall as they would both be at the least threats on offense. Going forward though, if Dunn improves, he will probably still be the better choice.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#7 » by the_bruce » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:52 am

Dunn has the better 2 way potential without a doubt, but Tyus + Murray would be better this year. Murray is a great natural shooter, Dunn will never have that shot.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#8 » by LordBaldric » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 am

It doesn't matter since Dunn was drafted to replace Rubio in the 1st unit, and that is what's going to happen sooner or later...
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#9 » by Calinks » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:11 am

At this point I'm not sure Dunn will be a starter. I cant call it now obviously but I haven't seen a lot to make me think he will be a good starter in this league. I'm not banking on it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#10 » by minimus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 am

I think Murray + Dunn combo would be awesome. :) I'd trade our 1st round pick and Tyus Jones + fillers for Murray and Faried. Something like 1st rnd pick, Jones, Payne and Shabazz for Faried, Murray

Dieng/Aldrich/Hill
KAT/Faried/Belica
Wiggins/Belica/Rush
LaVine/Murray/Rush
Rubio/Dunn/Murray
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#11 » by LordBaldric » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 am

Calinks wrote:At this point I'm not sure Dunn will be a starter. I cant call it now obviously but I haven't seen a lot to make me think he will be a good starter in this league. I'm not banking on it.

We'll see. If Dunn flops, this summer's draft is very heavy on PGs. I don't think Thibs likes Rubio at all.
Raymond437
Junior
And1: 37

Post#12 » by Raymond437 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:35 am

Murray is incosistent at offensive end and a disaster on defensive end. I'm happy with not drafting him. But it's really harmful for missing Buddy Hield.

For December stats,
Murray: 6.5pts(36.1FG%, 25.5 3P%, 77.8FT%),1.6asts, 2.8rebs, 0.6stls
Dunn: 5.4pts(43.5FG%, 27.8 3P%, 66.7FT%), 2.2asts, 2.2rebs, 0.7stls
Hield: 10.5pts(44.2FG%, 48.4 3P%, 80FT%), 1.4asts, 2.9rebs, 0.3stls
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#13 » by minimus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:50 am

Raymond437 wrote:Murray is incosistent at offensive end and a disaster on defensive end. I'm happy with not drafting him. But it's really harmful for missing Buddy Hield.

For December stats,
Murray: 6.5pts(36.1FG%, 25.5 3P%, 77.8FT%),1.6asts, 2.8rebs, 0.6stls
Dunn: 5.4pts(43.5FG%, 27.8 3P%, 66.7FT%), 2.2asts, 2.2rebs, 0.7stls
Hield: 10.5pts(44.2FG%, 48.4 3P%, 80FT%), 1.4asts, 2.9rebs, 0.3stls

Buddy is older, has no competitors in starting lineup.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#14 » by Sugarless » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:50 am

What would really be a better combo off the bench is Tyus + Dunn, which is much more balanced than what we have now or what a Jones + Murray would give us. Of course we just won't see it, cause for some reason beyond understanding Thibodeau doesn't consider it a viable option, despite the atrocious job of our second unit.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Re: Would Jamal Murray + Tyus Jones have been a better 2nd Unit Fit than Kris Dunn? 

Post#15 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:16 pm

I wanted Murray in the draft for this reason and still stand by it. Plus dude is only 19. He's gonna be at the very least, CJ McCollum with a better shot. And the way the game is evolving nowadays, guards don't exactly even have to be good defenders to be impact players anymore. As for Dunn, he's got a long ways to go. Dude's so damn limited on offense it's not even funny. Rubio is too, but Ricky can and has always been able to run a team smooth as silk. Dunn struggles to make simple entry passes. I think he'll be fine in a year or so, but not gonna be the player we and many scouts had hoped for.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Re: Would Jamal Murray + Tyus Jones have been a better 2nd Unit Fit than Kris Dunn? 

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Murray might end up being the better player but I don't think he changes things much for this years team.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves