ImageImageImage

For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Martim_2008
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#1 » by Martim_2008 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:04 am

Explain to me why? Because honest to god, I can't find 1 reason as to why you think this is going to just magically all of a sudden turn around. 

What has Thibs done that has impressed you? What has he improved?

There were expectations THIS YEAR. Not just from the local fans, EVERYONE. 
There is not 1 valid excuse as to why we should take a step back this season.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#2 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:37 am

The only explanation is, we are tanking hard and Thibs has 1 perfect scapegoat in Rubio. After the example of last night (i said the same thing after the game in Chicago) if we watch Rubio in the 1st half of the next game sitting in the corner again then is going to be official for everyone. TANK.

Thibs should focus on the defense and let Rubio run the offense.
Simple as that.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#3 » by Sugarless » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:08 pm

Apologists, company men and people in complete denial or with just not too big of a grasp on this game called basketball. That's the answer you are looking for.

You know what pisses me off the most? Despite not being an old franchise by any means (less than 30 years in the league) the Timberwolves hold the second longest playoff drought in league's history at 12 years (trailing only the Clippers at 15), and the way things are going this season they had a great chance to make the playoffs as the 8th seed. Only ONCE since the league expanded to 25 franchises (nearly 3 decades ago) has a Western conference team made it to the playoffs with a worse record than the current Sacramento Kings (sitting 8th with a .441 winning percentage). That happened 20 years ago, and it's been increasingly difficult to make the playoffs in the West ever since, except for this season.

Last spring we had a chance to really turn things around for this franchise. We had the opportunity to get a new head coach and a new GM, we had promising back-to-back ROYs as well as a number of assets in Rubio, Zach, Gorgui and the 5th pick. We had more than enough cap room to make a couple of solid moves, and we knew what the team needed after a couple of seasons accumulating youngsters. And what did we do with that? We didn't bring a coach that would make the most out of our young guys in terms of development. We didn't bring a coach that would at least help us play to our abilities. We didn't care to give the reigns of the FO and the team to two different people so one could keep the other in check. We didn't trade the pick to get an experienced guy who could help us move to the next level as a team. We didn't even draft the guy that made the most sense for the team. And when the free agency started, we didn't bring one single FA or made one single move that mattered. Nothing to make any kind of a difference.

But the worst was yet to come: the season started, and we find ourselves with a guy effectively running the franchise that seems hell bent on closing that gap with the Clippers as the club with the longest playoff drought ever. And game after game after game he will continue to go to what clearly doesn't work, and will continue to enable our anything-but-superstars to do whatever the hell they feel like on the court, whether that's playing one-on-three, taking ill advised shots or not giving a crap on screens, on the glass, on defense or anything else that won't lead to them scoring 20+ points per game. And you know what? No one will hold him accountable either, no one will tell him anything if he continues to take us down, cause after he was fired from the Bulls he made sure in his next gig he'd got the keys to the two main basketball areas in a franchise, and that he'd sign a nice lofty and lengthy contract, and we gave it to him. So, if he somehow wakes up tomorrow and understands this is not working and he needs to stick to what does, things may still turn around for us this season. Otherwise we'll be just looking at many more nights as shameful as the last two.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,526

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 4, 2017 2:08 pm

Sugarless wrote:
Last spring we had a chance to really turn things around for this franchise. We had the opportunity to get a new head coach and a new GM, we had promising back-to-back ROYs as well as a number of assets in Rubio, Zach, Gorgui and the 5th pick. We had more than enough cap room to make a couple of solid moves, and we knew what the team needed after a couple of seasons accumulating youngsters. And what did we do with that? We didn't bring a coach that would make the most out of our young guys in terms of development. We didn't bring a coach that would at least help us play to our abilities. We didn't care to give the reigns of the FO and the team to two different people so one could keep the other in check. We didn't trade the pick to get an experienced guy who could help us move to the next level as a team. We didn't even draft the guy that made the most sense for the team. And when the free agency started, we didn't bring one single FA or made one single move that mattered. Nothing to make any kind of a difference.

Rip Thibs all you want, but he was probably the guy with the best basketball reputation available. Maybe you think Thibs was overrated or not a good fit, but I would say the problem Taylor is that he's not really equipped to decide who the best fit is or if someone isn't as good as their reputation. The best bet with Taylor is for him to hire someone with a good basketball reputation and let him make all the decisions.

Anyway, whatever you think of him, Thibs is probably here for 3 seasons no matter what. So get used to it.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#5 » by Sugarless » Wed Jan 4, 2017 2:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

Rip Thibs all you want, but he was probably the guy with the best basketball reputation available. Maybe you think Thibs was overrated or not a good fit, but I would say the problem Taylor is that he's not really equipped to decide who the best fit is or if someone isn't as good as their reputation. The best bet with Taylor is for him to hire someone with a good basketball reputation and let him make all the decisions.

Anyway, whatever you think of him, Thibs is probably here for 3 seasons no matter what. So get used to it.

Sure, the ultimate responsible is the guy at the top. So what? Does that mean no one else in the organization has to be held accountable at his job? I expect Taylor to be Taylor, he's been here forever and it doesn't seem like he's going to sell anytime soon, so you can bet I'm used to that. I'm also used to seeing Thibs be as stubborn as they come and knowing that he won't work well with so many youngsters despite being an excellent coach for more mature rosters. Doesn't mean I'll be okay with him doing a **** job and not being held to any kind of accountability.

Also, I'm sorry, but the "best basketball reputation available" means absolutely nothing, it's terrible as an excuse and is even worse when you consider his hiring as POBO. You need someone who fits, that's it. Reputation doesn't win games, it won't bring Ws and development when it's the wrong coach for the wrong roster, and handling the reigns of the FO to a guy with zero experience and no kind of background in that role makes it even more meaningless, if not pure irony.

Now, Thibs is the coach and the ultimate decision maker in the FO, and no one in his right mind expects him to be sacked, but if he doesn't get his head out of his rear and begins adjusting his offensive schemes (or lack thereof), holding people accountable on D, and moving pieces in order to improve the team (which doesn't mean you have to bring in more raw talent that you're letting out), he will continue to be responsible for this team's failures. These players have shown they can do better in a different system. They are also young, fit and have no reason not to give their all every night. It's HIS JOB to realize that and put it into effect. As long as he doesn't, these critics will still be fair and well deserved.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#6 » by minimus » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:20 pm

People all want miracles and hate everyday routine. I understand this. But I still remember many nights when OKC fans blamed Russell Westbrook for being dumb, selfish. He hasn't changed much but now he is playing for MVP. I remember people calling KG a PF who can't win anything. Then he screamed anything is possible. I remember Wade and Lebron laughing at Dirk then he destroyed them in Finals, after years of Dallas mediocrity. I remember Damon Stoudemire said that SAS would not win anything with Avery Johnson at PG. All this stuff is not new. You may call me blind but I see many good things that has changed this year. You can find it if you watch games. But it is like building a new house. You need strong foundation, maybe you even need to rebuild everything from scratch. Now we are building foundation. Like our offense that made transition from midrange offense to more spacing, attacking the middle model. Now KAT started to take advantage of passing in this system. It is all little things that you sow but do not know when you will reap. Because it is about people. Being 21yrs old is tough in this league. I like this team more than year ago, I see brighter future. Not saying I am okay with losses, but I believe our time will come soon. Also it is morning here when NBA game is finished. So when MIN lose it is like my whole day is messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#7 » by walk with me » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:34 pm

Good idea. Fire a coach 30 games into the season. A coach who's 6th man options are

Shabazz Muhammad
Or
Kriss dunn
Or
Cole Aldrich
Or
Nemanja Bjelicic
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Post#8 » by firyGM » Wed Jan 4, 2017 4:16 pm

No. Fire a coach who, in the middle of the season, is 11-24 and has one of the best playmakers of NBA. 3 players with 20ppg, one of them is one of the best center in the NBA at the moment. A 5th pick wasted in another PG who cannot shoot and maybe is worse than Flynn. He fired the unique vocal leader that there was on the team, KG. His signings are useless. Finally, although he is the best of the f***ing world defensive coach, our defense is the worst of the NBA. Moreover our offensive which was good last year it's below-average now and it isn't worse because we have a incredible guys who can make points without coach or tactics.

Please, fired him before he will trade someone and he makes our future will be trash.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#9 » by Note30 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 4:41 pm

firyGM wrote:No. Fire a coach who, in the middle of the season, is 11-24 and has one of the best playmakers of NBA. 3 players with 20ppg, one of them is one of the best center in the NBA at the moment. A 5th pick wasted in another PG who cannot shoot and maybe is worse than Flynn. He fired the unique vocal leader that there was on the team, KG. His signings are useless. Finally, although he is the best of the f***ing world defensive coach, our defense is the worst of the NBA. Moreover our offensive which was good last year it's below-average now and it isn't worse because we have a incredible guys who can make points without coach or tactics.

Please, fired him before he will trade someone and he makes our future will be trash.

But who do we hire instead?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#10 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 4:54 pm

Yeah, i dont want Thibs fired either, i want Thibs to change this horrible gameplan he has, the offense looks horrible, the defense looks even worse, iniciating the offense with Wiggins, sitting Rubio in a corner, allowing Towns to shoot as many 3s as he wants, and all together we look worse than last year. How is that even possible ?

If he keeps going with this gameplan there isn´t enough time to sucessed, this is bad, change.
Again, its like Lavine all over again, playing the point guard only delayed his improvement, the minute Lavine started to play SG was the minute Lavine showed his potencial.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by walk with me » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:11 pm

blah blah blah..... the roster is straight garbage minus 3 or 4 guys.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by walk with me » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:14 pm

Serious question...

How many rosters in the nba are below the Timberwolves just from a talent evaluation standpoint.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#13 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:19 pm

The team as made up is just too soft. Perhaps it is the 'Minnesota Nice' problem.

Dunn, Bazz, Aldrich, and even Payne need more playing time, simply to add some toughness to this team and get it to rub off on Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, Dieng, Towns, and Bjelica. Even Hill, Rush, Tyus -- too soft.

Give me PJ Tucker, Paul Milsap, Demare Carrol, the Morris twins, etc. [just examples of the blue print for the type of guys we need]

Thibs succeeded with guys like KG, Rondo (when he was good), Pierce, Deng, Gibson, Noah. We need some of the toughness those players brought in their heyday.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
firyGM
Junior
And1: 62

Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#14 » by firyGM » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:20 pm

Note30 wrote:
firyGM wrote:No. Fire a coach who, in the middle of the season, is 11-24 and has one of the best playmakers of NBA. 3 players with 20ppg, one of them is one of the best center in the NBA at the moment. A 5th pick wasted in another PG who cannot shoot and maybe is worse than Flynn. He fired the unique vocal leader that there was on the team, KG. His signings are useless. Finally, although he is the best of the f***ing world defensive coach, our defense is the worst of the NBA. Moreover our offensive which was good last year it's below-average now and it isn't worse because we have a incredible guys who can make points without coach or tactics.

That's the problem. Furious George Karl? Hahaha.

I don't want to fire Thibs now. I want it if he doesn't change his system and we are going to play bad at the end of the season.

Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Post#15 » by AirP. » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm not sure what people expected from such a young team. His first year in Chicago he had 3 strong defenders in the starting rotation in Noah, Deng and K.Bogans to go along with D.Rose and a ~20ppg Boozer at PF. Minnesota doesn't have anyone near that level of defense and also Thibs dislikes relying on young players(because they don't know how to win in the NBA) but that's about all he has on the roster this year.

The first year is nearly a throwaway because of the age of the roster and luckily for the Timberwolves fans, he didn't really do anything counter productive to the roster, no shipping off good young players for vets, no moving future assets for help now, no crazy contracts to bring in a player without knowing his roster. He actually brought in some short value contracts that he could get rid of fairly easy or just let run out.

I do wonder if longterm KAT will stay at the 5 or Thibs will bring in a defensive center and play KAT at the 4 with Dieng playing heavy minutes off the bench in a 3 big rotation(with a 4th guy sprinkled in).
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#16 » by AirP. » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:30 pm

firyGM wrote:
Note30 wrote:

I don't want to fire Thibs now. I want it if he doesn't change his system and we are going to play bad at the end of the season.

He won't change his system, there is nothing to gain from doing that, he believes in team chemistry and that's what he's trying to build with the young players on the roster that he sees a future with. Just understand this year will be bad(which is a good thing, no bad trades/moves and a good NBA draft coming up) and next year should be the year he has a better understanding of his personnel and should make moves to improve the team(maybe improve greatly). A couple of solid vets would make a world of difference for Minnesota's rotation.

Barring major injuries, if in like year 3 this is no better then a middle of the road .500 team(with the assets he currently has), yeah, he'll deserve to be replace whenever the owner feels comfortable doing that(before or at the end of his contract).
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#17 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:13 pm

AirP. wrote:
firyGM wrote:
Note30 wrote:

He won't change his system, there is nothing to gain from doing that, he believes in team chemistry and that's what he's trying to build with the young players on the roster that he sees a future with. Just understand this year will be bad(which is a good thing, no bad trades/moves and a good NBA draft coming up) and next year should be the year he has a better understanding of his personnel and should make moves to improve the team(maybe improve greatly). A couple of solid vets would make a world of difference for Minnesota's rotation.

Barring major injuries, if in like year 3 this is no better then a middle of the road .500 team(with the assets he currently has), yeah, he'll deserve to be replace whenever the owner feels comfortable doing that(before or at the end of his contract).

What is that have to do with ISO offense with a poor ball handler as a playmaker ? It's not about defense only.

Thibs need to stop thinking he has Jimmy Butler 2.0 in Wiggins.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#18 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:17 pm

Knee-jerk reactions are fun....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#19 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:21 pm

mercgold3 wrote:

Meh, how does a 21 year old Butler compare to a 21 year old Wiggins? Pretty sure JB was still a junior at Marquette and needed a few years under Thibs to become the player he is today.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: For the people that continue to blindly support Thibs... 

Post#20 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:26 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Meh, how does a 21 year old Butler compare to a 21 year old Wiggins? Pretty sure JB was still a junior at Marquette and needed a few years under Thibs to become the player he is today.

It's not about how was Butler with 21 yo vs Wiggins 21 yo.
It's about the difference of type of player they are.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves