RealGM
And1: 3,699

Re: Wolves Best PG Rotation 

Post#21 » by minimus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:07 am

Jammer wrote:PG's are judged on 3 criteria primarily:
1) Can they run a team?
2) Can they score?
3) Can they defend?

Starters are expected to do all of the above.
Backups are expected to do the first (run a team) and either score or defend as well.
Because the Wolves get so few points from their bench it is pretty essential for the Wolves that the backup PG score as well as run a team.
This is why I think that Dunn is a really bad fit for the Wolves 2nd unit, but his lack of shooting skill even makes me question his fit with the starters. Dunn can't just will his way to the hoop like he did in college.

Knowing that the Wolves desperately needed a backup shooting guard that could nail 3's makes me question why Thibodaux would waste a #5 pick on Dunn when he could have had Buddy Hield or Jamal Murray.

Look at it this way. The 2008 Celtics were 66-16 with an average margin of victory overy 10 ppg. The closing five players on their 2008 NBA Champion Team were Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, James Posey and Eddie House. Eddie House was 5'11" shooting guard who was on the floor only because he shot 40% from 3 with a lighting quick release. Since Buddy Hield and Jamal Murray are going to be way better than Eddie House, I can't understand why Thibadeau would waste a pick on the can't shoot Dunn. Thibadeau's inability to see Dunn's poor fit in Minnesota may cost the Wolves dearly down the line. Instead of getting a rotation quality player Thib's drafted a dudd. And wasted a #5 pick.

Are you saying that we needed to add another poor defender to make our defense even worse? If Wiggins is better suited for playing against SG, then we have two of our three core players playing at SG. Also both Murray and Hield are bit undersized and slightly limited athletically.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#22 » by Jammer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:33 am

Minimus,
I am saying that the best players available were backup SG's (Buddy H and Murray). There was no starter level NBA talent available at #5. But Dunn made no sense since it was already a proven fact that Dunn couldn't shoot. In effect, Dunn's ceiling was a Rubio "lite" at best. In reality, Dunn may never even be a steady backup PG due to lack of skill.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#23 » by minimus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 am

Jammer wrote:Minimus,
I am saying that the best players available were backup SG's (Buddy H and Murray). There was no starter level NBA talent available at #5. But Dunn made no sense since it was already a proven fact that Dunn couldn't shoot. In effect, Dunn's ceiling was a Rubio "lite" at best. In reality, Dunn may never even be a steady backup PG due to lack of skill.

Well, to be honest I'm not sure if Murray or Hield got much playing time under Thibs, behind Wiggins, LaVine and Shabazz. Also it takes more time for PG to adapt to NBA game. Dunn has shown potential as pretty good defensive player, while Murray and Hield both shooting under 40% from the field. And it is not like Kris cant go at rim, Thibs asks him to do other things and it more like Dunn is not "allowed" to go at rim every time he wants.

P.S. Dunn was never considered as Rubio lite. I'd say he is more Gary Payton without trash talk. Rubio is an unicorn.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,102

Post#24 » by m2002brian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Dunn is going to Join the ranks of the Flynns and Wesley Johnsons of the world. Aka wasted lotto pick.

The only people that don't see that are the guy who drafted him and the fans blinded by Rubio hate
BLUEGREENRED
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,509

Post#25 » by Worm Guts » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:29 pm

m2002brian wrote:Dunn is going to Join the ranks of the Flynns and Wesley Johnsons of the world. Aka wasted lotto pick.

The only people that don't see that are the guy who drafted him and the fans blinded by Rubio hate

A Wes Johnson/ Randy Foye type career maybe but he'll have a spot in the NBA for a while because of his ability to play defense.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#26 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:43 pm

m2002brian wrote:Dunn is going to Join the ranks of the Flynns and Wesley Johnsons of the world. Aka wasted lotto pick.

I don't hate Rubio, I don't think he's bound for superstardom, but I also don't think he's a wasted lotto pick or a bust.

This draft wasn't like 2009 or 2010. There wasn't a Stephen Curry or Demarcus Cousins behind him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#27 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:39 am

Get Dunn shooting a thousand 3's a day and make him a defensive guy who can guard a few positions and hit an open 3 and he becomes a good fit and a valuable player for the team. Basically turn him into the player people think Avery Bradley is although hopefully he will actually play defense rather than just have a defensive reputation like Bradley.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves