ImageImageImage

2017 Trade deadline thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Re: 2017 Trade deadline thread 

Post#601 » by Mattya » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Dallas has done solid acquiring some assets, but they still have a long way to go in terms of talent.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#602 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#603 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#604 » by LordBaldric » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I'm really impressed with how Dallas has been able to rebuild so quickly. Cuban just swings for the fences.

They don't look rebuilt to me. Their young talent is still fairly mediocre.

I certainly think they are on the their way. They have two young players to build around in Barnes and Noel and a lotto pick on the way. I'm just more impressed by they way they did it. They didn't have to tank for three years, lose a chunk of their fan base, and luck into #1 picks.

Their young players aren't high ceiling guys. They better start hitting on mid to late round draft picks like the Spurs if they want much success.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#605 » by LordBaldric » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thibs is wise...
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,925

Post#606 » by wolves_89 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 am

Thibs should be judged on actual events, not the rumor mill that is largely driven by people with ulterior motives. So far, Thibs the GM hasn't really done much of anything to base a judgement on. He's made no trades and only signed a few bargain vets that had minimal impact on the teams cap space this coming off-season. The only move of any significance was drafting Dunn and it's far to early to really judge how that will work out.

This off-season is going to be huge for the Wolves since it is likely the last time the team will have cap space or a high pick for quite a while. I'll hold my judgement on Thibs until we see what the team looks like going into next season.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#607 » by Piecake » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:04 pm

If we get Casspi's bird rights by picking him up off the buyout market we should totally do that. He is a 3/4 who can play and shoot, which is exactly what we need. We should obviously go after another better SF or PF during the off-season, but considering that Rush and Bazz are likely to be gone, then having him as our backup seems pretty good to me.

If not, it obviously is pretty pointless because he is in a contract year and is basically done for the rest of the season.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#608 » by Worm Guts » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm not sure having Casspi's bird rights would make much difference since we're under the cap.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#609 » by Mattya » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:45 pm

I finally listened to the latest scoop podcast that Wolfson posted on trade deadline day. He added that he heard that both the Suns and Hornets had some interest in Rubio. I would guess the Suns wanted to trade Knight which is an obvious no, but it would have been interesting to see what the Hornets were offering. I believe I heard that Marvin Williams might have been shopped a little and they are a team that is usually willing to deal draft picks for win now talent.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#610 » by Foye » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Mattya wrote:I finally listened to the latest scoop podcast that Wolfson posted on trade deadline day. He added that he heard that both the Suns and Hornets had some interest in Rubio. I would guess the Suns wanted to trade Knight which is an obvious no, but it would have been interesting to see what the Hornets were offering. I believe I heard that Marvin Williams might have been shopped a little and they are a team that is usually willing to deal draft picks for win now talent.

Unless we are getting a mid-lotto pick in return there is really no point in dealing Rubio.

He's a good point guard for our young core locked in a reasonable contract.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#611 » by Mattya » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Foye wrote:
Mattya wrote:I finally listened to the latest scoop podcast that Wolfson posted on trade deadline day. He added that he heard that both the Suns and Hornets had some interest in Rubio. I would guess the Suns wanted to trade Knight which is an obvious no, but it would have been interesting to see what the Hornets were offering. I believe I heard that Marvin Williams might have been shopped a little and they are a team that is usually willing to deal draft picks for win now talent.

Unless we are getting a mid-lotto pick in return there is really no point in dealing Rubio.

He's a good point guard for our young core locked in a reasonable contract.

I think a mid lotto pick might be pushing it. I think a late lotto pick is much more realistic along with a decent win now piece like Marvin Williams coming back.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#612 » by andyhop » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:59 am

LordBaldric wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thibs is wise...

The problem with Thibs coming in when he did was that he was in a situation where he didn't really know what he had so there was always the chance that he would either move one of the young guys and regret it later because they had more than he thought or he would turn down a move so as not to get into that situation.

Depending on the truth of the Butler draft time talks it is possible that he did the second
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#613 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:05 am

andyhop wrote:The problem with Thibs coming in when he did was that he was in a situation where he didn't really know what he had so there was always the chance that he would either move one of the young guys and regret it later because they had more than he thought or he would turn down a move so as not to get into that situation.

Depending on the truth of the Butler draft time talks it is possible that he did the second

Butler isn't exactly off the trade market though. Wouldn't be surprised to see rumors resurface this summer. It's reportedly why he was interested in cap space and draft picks at the deadline.

andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#614 » by andyhop » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:10 am

Klomp wrote:
andyhop wrote:The problem with Thibs coming in when he did was that he was in a situation where he didn't really know what he had so there was always the chance that he would either move one of the young guys and regret it later because they had more than he thought or he would turn down a move so as not to get into that situation.

Butler isn't exactly off the trade market though. Wouldn't be surprised to see rumors resurface this summer. It's reportedly why he was interested in cap space and draft picks at the deadline.

And if he gets a good deal that will be great, it wasn't meant as a criticism of Thibs its just a reality that came from the situation he was placed in
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#615 » by shrink » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Piecake wrote:If we get Casspi's bird rights by picking him up off the buyout market we should totally do that. He is a 3/4 who can play and shoot, which is exactly what we need. We should obviously go after another better SF or PF during the off-season, but considering that Rush and Bazz are likely to be gone, then having him as our backup seems pretty good to me.

If not, it obviously is pretty pointless because he is in a contract year and is basically done for the rest of the season.

I would not mind having Casspi, but the timing is important.

If we pick him up off waivers today, we would be responsible for what's left of his $3 mil contract. We would have early Bird rights, because he cleared waivers in 2013.

If we wait until tomorrow, when he clears waivers, we can offer him a 10-day contract, so help with our playoff push. He could choose a different team. No Bird rights then, for whatever that's worth.

Personally, I think .. "Why not?" He's a vet, that used to be able to shoot threes. He's not great (which is why he couldn't make the Pelicans 15 man squad), but we are still $3.3 mil under the salary floor, so it's like a free shot. He wants to stay in the league, so at a minimum, he'll be motivated to work hard, auditioning for his next contract.

I would also add that I would not mind seeing us sign Lance Stephenson right now, to one of those make good deals that Hinkie and Morey offer to second rounders and undrafted players. For example, we could give him $1 mil for this year and next year, and a team option for $1 mil for 2018-19. Maybe he's been out of the league long enough that $3 mil is now a big deal again. Getting paid while his ankle has him recovering would be a nice thing to do that might buy us some gratitude.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#616 » by Mattya » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:31 pm

I hope there is a way to clear both Cole Aldrich and Nemanja Bjelica's salaries this summer. That money could be used a lot better.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#617 » by minimus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Mattya wrote:I hope there is a way to clear both Cole Aldrich and Nemanja Bjelica's salaries this summer. That money could be used a lot better.

Dont see their salaries as an issue at all. But I would say it might become a trade asset if we need to balance salaries.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#618 » by Mattya » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm

minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:I hope there is a way to clear both Cole Aldrich and Nemanja Bjelica's salaries this summer. That money could be used a lot better.

Dont see their salaries as an issue at all. But I would say it might become a trade asset if we need to balance salaries.

Give me that extra money to hopefully get some free agents that could actually help. Cole doesn't seem to fit and barely plays while Bjelica just isn't good.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#619 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:11 pm

minimus wrote:

Agreed, not really much of an issue.

Aldrich is on a declining deal, and could still present trade value from one of these teams who want cheaper post depth. Bjelica is very cheap in this new salary structure and an expiring contract.

Mattya
RealGM

Post#620 » by Mattya » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:

Agreed, not really much of an issue.

Aldrich is on a declining deal, and could still present trade value from one of these teams who want cheaper post depth. Bjelica is very cheap in this new salary structure and an expiring contract.

So you would trade Aldrich is what you were saying? He barely plays right now, and heading into the summer we intend to sign a new PF to likely start, moving Dieng to the bench and Aldrich completely out of the rotation. Bjelica being on a very cheap contract doesn't mean much when he isn't good.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves