GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,135

Re: Trade Ideas thread 

Post#1921 » by GopherIt! » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:21 am

KGdaBom wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:Assuming Taj starts,

Cap allocation as of today:

~$30M on backup FC's (dieng/belly/cole/patton)
<$6M on backup pg/sg/sf (tyus/crawford)

Im not sure what plan Thibs has for Dieng but I would rather spend that money on a wing player(s).

First of all Dieng is not a backup FC so replace him with Gibson. Second of all if we trade Dieng for a wing we will be worse off at backup FC than we are at wing.

Read the bolded part again. I would look to sign Udoh or another F/C cheap for depth.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,803

Post#1922 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 am

I see no bolded part. If we added a wing at Gorgui's salary I don't give a rat's ass about signing a cheap FC we will be worse off at backup FC than we are at wing. Right now we sign a cheap wing for depth. Or trade Cole Aldrich for a wing or wing money.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,864

Post#1923 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 am

KGdaBom wrote:I see no bolded part.

Assuming Taj starts
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1924 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 am

Klomp wrote:

Assuming Taj starts

Thanks. I missed it. Sorry to the OP but I still don't agree with the thinking. I think changing too much of the team is a bad idea. I also don't by any means assume that Taj starts.
If Taj starts I still expect Gorgui to play more minutes.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#1925 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:00 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Assuming Taj starts

Thanks. I missed it. Sorry to the OP but I still don't agree with the thinking. I think changing too much of the team is a bad idea. I also don't by any means assume that Taj starts.

I'd rather Taj start to bring more defense to the starting lineup & have the better offensive Gorgui come off the bench
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1926 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:02 am

theGreatRC wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Assuming Taj starts

I'd rather Taj start to bring more defense to the starting lineup & have the better offensive Gorgui come off the bench

Not a bad idea. In that case I still expect Gorgui to get more minutes. However, consider that Gorgui is a much better outside shooter for spacing.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Re: RE: Re: Trade Ideas thread 

Post#1927 » by shrink » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:36 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
shrink wrote:2-of-2 Clippers fans on their boards say they would love Cole Aldrich back, for the TPE they just got for Chris Paul ... no OKC pick attached. If ESPN has it right, your Chris Paul trade exception is $7,273,631. Aldrich makes $7,300,000. However, even though the ESPN Trade Machine disallows it, Larry Coon says you get to add $100,000, so this TPE just barely fits.

Since we are right at the cap, this TPE would turn into cap space for us, so we could use it on remaining free agents, if we haven't officially signed Jamaal Crawford yet.
Do we even need the space now. Not sure I would just give Cole away anymore. It is an option, but the value of havig space might not be what it was earlier. Kind of a case of too little too late. I guess it all depends on who we could get from who is left, but the move is something of a big yawn.

I don't know if we can find players in free agency or not, but I'd point out that because they have the TPE, it makes trading more valuable to them as well. Since they can absorb Cole, every player they would send back to us would give them a TPE (which is obviously better than no TPE).
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Re: RE: Re: Trade Ideas thread 

Post#1928 » by PharmD » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:35 am

shrink wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
shrink wrote:2-of-2 Clippers fans on their boards say they would love Cole Aldrich back, for the TPE they just got for Chris Paul ... no OKC pick attached. If ESPN has it right, your Chris Paul trade exception is $7,273,631. Aldrich makes $7,300,000. However, even though the ESPN Trade Machine disallows it, Larry Coon says you get to add $100,000, so this TPE just barely fits.

Since we are right at the cap, this TPE would turn into cap space for us, so we could use it on remaining free agents, if we haven't officially signed Jamaal Crawford yet.
Do we even need the space now. Not sure I would just give Cole away anymore. It is an option, but the value of havig space might not be what it was earlier. Kind of a case of too little too late. I guess it all depends on who we could get from who is left, but the move is something of a big yawn.

I don't know if we can find players in free agency or not, but I'd point out that because they have the TPE, it makes trading more valuable to them as well. Since they can absorb Cole, every player they would send back to us would give them a TPE (which is obviously better than no TPE).

Oh yeah, that's a really good point even if it isn't relevant here (who do they send us? Wes?). NBA knowledge increased! Thanks!
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#1929 » by andyhop » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 am

theGreatRC wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Assuming Taj starts

You realise that Dieng is the better defensive player as well as being the better offensive player and of course better overall player, so starting Taj for any reason makes no sense
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#1930 » by Swish4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Starting Taj makes alot of sense actually in terms of implementing the type of defensive system Thibs expects. Setting the tone, showing how it's done, what's expected and getting things right.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1931 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Regardless of who starts and who comes off the bench, it wouldn't surprise me to see both G and Taj hover around 20-25 mpg. Then Bjeli will get the last 10-15 mpg (basically what KAT doesn't play).

We also have the ability to go smaller now. Right now, I could see the crunch-time lineup against some teams be Teague / Crawford / Wiggins / Butler / Towns.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#1932 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:18 pm

andyhop wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Thanks. I missed it. Sorry to the OP but I still don't agree with the thinking. I think changing too much of the team is a bad idea. I also don't by any means assume that Taj starts.

You realise that Dieng is the better defensive player as well as being the better offensive player and of course better overall player, so starting Taj for any reason makes no sense

Thibs thinks otherwise. In SL interviews, he described Taj as somebody who can guard 1-5 in a pick and roll situation and somebody who does things on defense in "multiples".
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1933 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Klomp wrote:Regardless of who starts and who comes off the bench, it wouldn't surprise me to see both G and Taj hover around 20-25 mpg. Then Bjeli will get the last 10-15 mpg (basically what KAT doesn't play).

We also have the ability to go smaller now. Right now, I could see the crunch-time lineup against some teams be Teague / Crawford / Wiggins / Butler / Towns.

If Dieng and Gibson are only going to be playing 45 minutes combined at 30 million a year I'm going to be sick. As a matter of fact that leaves 51 minutes for KAT/Belly. I'm hoping that Dieng gets 30 minutes and Gibson gets at least 24 in rotation at PF/C with KAT. That would still leave 42 minutes for KAT so you can throw in Belly 6 minutes at PF and 6 minutes at SF.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1934 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 pm

I think Taj will start. G will done damage off the bench as a sub for the 5 and the 4, I think this is the best role for him and it also improves our bench dramatically.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1935 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 pm

packforfreedom wrote:I think Taj will start. G will done damage off the bench as a sub for the 5 and the 4, I think this is the best role for him and it also improves our bench dramatically.

As long as Dieng is playing more minutes than Gibson I'm OK with him coming off the bench. Anything less than 30 MPG is wasting him and his unique all around talent.
Biggsohnasty
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#1936 » by Biggsohnasty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Do people still care who starts?

If you divy up minutes - Towns 33, Gibson 25, Dieng 25, Belly/Wiggins (if they go small) 13.

I would start Gibson myself. For one I'll disagree with whoever said it's obvious that Dieng is a superior player - that's a tad too T-Wolves goggles for me but I also like the idea of Dieng and Crawford coming off the bench and slaughtering backups.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1937 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Biggsohnasty wrote:Do people still care who starts?

If you divy up minutes - Towns 33, Gibson 25, Dieng 25, Belly/Wiggins (if they go small) 13.

I would start Gibson myself. For one I'll disagree with whoever said it's obvious that Dieng is a superior player - that's a tad too T-Wolves goggles for me but I also like the idea of Dieng and Crawford coming off the bench and slaughtering backups.

To me Dieng is the obviously better player. All around stats of Gorgui would you believe can only be bettered by one other player in the NBA and that is Kevin Durant. Clearly we are talking a massive difference in overall skill, but Durant is the only player that can match or beat Gorgui in each Cat FG% FT% 3% Rebounds, blocks, steals and assists. Gorgui simply has no statistical deficiency.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1938 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Biggsohnasty wrote:I would start Gibson myself. For one I'll disagree with whoever said it's obvious that Dieng is a superior player - that's a tad too T-Wolves goggles for me but I also like the idea of Dieng and Crawford coming off the bench and slaughtering backups.

I agree with this. With the similarities between Zach and Jamal, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jamal creating a good connection with Gorgui. But now it would be more against backups and not taking shots from the top options.

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#1939 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:46 am

Can Wolves trade for Thad Young and his 15 mil contract with Aldrich? Indy look like one of the worst teams in the NBA and it could free up cap space for them next season. Never liked him as a starter but would be a very nice addition to the bench as a SF/PF.

Probably be smarter waiting for midseason to make another move, but just throwing things out there.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#1940 » by HitmanCapone » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Can Wolves trade for Thad Young and his 15 mil contract with Aldrich? Indy look like one of the worst teams in the NBA and it could free up cap space for them next season. Never liked him as a starter but would be a very nice addition to the bench as a SF/PF.

Probably be smarter waiting for midseason to make another move, but just throwing things out there.
I wouldn't be looking to help out Indy at all after that whole Miles debacle, Maybe if they threw a 1st our way I'd change my mind

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves