***2017 Playoffs Thread***

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#1 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Watching the Pacers and Cavs now. Kind of salty seeing Lance have a huge role on the Pacers. Think we might have goofed.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Re: ***2017 Playoffs Thread*** 

Post#2 » by theGreatRC » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Happy for Lance #LanceMakeEmDance
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#3 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Giannis is so damn good.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#4 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Ibaka would be so good here.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: ***2017 Playoffs Thread*** 

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Mattya wrote:Ibaka would be so good here.

Yup, and only 27yo.
He fits that window.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ***2017 Playoffs Thread*** 

Post#6 » by TheDominator273 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:50 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Mattya wrote:Ibaka would be so good here.

Yup, and only 27yo.
He fits that window.

He may or may not be 27, but a he is pretty much the ideal player to have next to KAT
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#7 » by LordBaldric » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:05 pm

I wish we had Thon Maker. :(
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Can't believe the Bucks are blowing out the Raptors.

Giannis is a legit superstar player. Prime example of guy I see as a true star and why I scoff when people say Wiggins is a star right now.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mattya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:02 am

Lowry looked super rusty. He was passing up shots at the rim like Rubio was doing at the beginning of the season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,939

Post#10 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 am

Calinks wrote:Can't believe the Bucks are blowing out the Raptors.

Giannis is a legit superstar player. Prime example of guy I see as a true star and why I scoff when people say Wiggins is a star right now.

Giannis is a freak......the one big move I was skeptical on during Flip's tenure was passing on him.

He's in a class of his own. But I think Wiggins, while maybe not a star right now, isn't far off. He's on that next tier. He may not ever be on Giannis' level, but it's like comparing Kevin Garnett and Chris Webber or Rasheed Wallace.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#11 » by minimus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:00 am

It is a good moment to understand what FAs value can be. Will see how JaMychal Green, Tony Snell, Tucker, Sefolosha, Mirotic will perform.

Many fans here said that Lance is trash. Now he can laugh at them. We clearly missed opportunity to sign him for bargain contract. But I'm really happy for him.

I still think that Ibaka is a bad fit here.
1) We already invested into Dieng and Aldrich. Ibaka will ask much more than we can afford.
2) Ibaka can't give us any positional flexibility. He is not game changer either. NBA trend is versatility both in offense and defense. Let's imagine we play against SAS with Kawhi at 4, or GSW with KD at 4, or even POR with Aminu at 4. KAT would be our best and only true bigman in this scenario. This leaves to Ibaka 15-20 min as backup C, but I think Dieng can cover this time. We need PF who can play at high pace. I look at MIL, they can run, defend and score all night long. I hope they will prove that you can build around non shooter star.
esm1885
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#12 » by esm1885 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:08 am

Favours is looking pretty good. With Utahs looming FAs and salary cap situation still think he'd be a good trade target on the cheap
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:53 am

Oh no. Truly terrible news. Isiah Thomas' sister died today.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245629/Sister-Of-Isaiah-Thomas-Killed-In-Car-Accident

This is so horrible.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,939

Post#14 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 am

minimus wrote:I still think that Ibaka is a bad fit here.
1) We already invested into Dieng and Aldrich. Ibaka will ask much more than we can afford.
2) Ibaka can't give us any positional flexibility. He is not game changer either. NBA trend is versatility both in offense and defense. Let's imagine we play against SAS with Kawhi at 4, or GSW with KD at 4, or even POR with Aminu at 4. KAT would be our best and only true bigman in this scenario. This leaves to Ibaka 15-20 min as backup C, but I think Dieng can cover this time. We need PF who can play at high pace. I look at MIL, they can run, defend and score all night long. I hope they will prove that you can build around non shooter star.

1. Both are on cap-friendly contracts that can easily be moved.
2. In the Spurs game, you're talking about a total of 8 minutes from today's game (Aldridge, Dedmon, Lee, Gasol totaled 88 minutes). Don't know why that would force a second big man to play only 15-20 minutes. It's good to be versatile, but shouldn't pigeonhole ourselves to only play small. Plenty of use for a traditional PF.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#15 » by minimus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:15 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:I still think that Ibaka is a bad fit here.

1. Both are on cap-friendly contracts that can easily be moved.
2. In the Spurs game, you're talking about a total of 8 minutes from today's game (Aldridge, Dedmon, Lee, Gasol totaled 88 minutes). Don't know why that would force a second big man to play only 15-20 minutes. It's good to be versatile, but shouldn't pigeonhole ourselves to only play small. Plenty of use for a traditional PF.

Today SAS played against MEM with Z-Bo and Gasol. Anyway, when you select game strategy you try to play your best lineup. Try to gain any mismatch advantage. You can play traditional C and PF, but this combination should be something special, should give you some kind of advantage. You play Marc Gasol and Z-Bo, so they will overpower almost any other frontcourt, kill you with PnR plays and toughness. I don't see KAT-Ibaka combo as something very different from KAT-Dieng. Same problems in defense against small ball lineup, not-much-improved shooting or rebounding. Yes, you are right, Dieng and Aldrich contract are cap-friendly. But Ibaka's real age is something that really bothers me, he declines fast. So his multi-year contract might turn into a problem if he loses his athleticism. In the end, we replace Dieng's contract with bigger contract with some risks without making significant progress. That is my concern.

P.S.
how many times Giannis dunked on Ibaka during this game? How many times was Ibaka late in transition or weakside help? This is not against him as a player. I think any of traditional PF would look bad against today Giannis. It is about pace, speed of modern NBA game. How many statistical records beat NBA players this season? Same stats should be read differently.
minimus
RealGM

Post#16 » by minimus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:27 am

Meanwhile, Utah upset LAC. Nothing changes. Joe Johnson scored 21 pts and hit clutch shot just like in old good times. :)
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#17 » by Foye » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 am

esm1885 wrote:Favours is looking pretty good. With Utahs looming FAs and salary cap situation still think he'd be a good trade target on the cheap

Yeah, but I don't think Utah management would be dumb enough to pull a Denver and gift Favors to a division rival.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mattya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't see KAT-Ibaka combo as something very different from KAT-Dieng. Same problems in defense against small ball lineup, not-much-improved shooting or rebounding. Yes, you are right, Dieng and Aldrich contract are cap-friendly. But Ibaka's real age is something that really bothers me, he declines fast. So his multi-year contract might turn into a problem if he loses his athleticism. In the end, we replace Dieng's contract with bigger contract with some risks without making significant progress. That is my concern.

Not so much improved shooting? Ibaka shoots a higher percentage on significantly more shots from beyond the arc. The spacing alone would be amazing for the offense.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#19 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 pm

minimus wrote:P.S.
how many times Giannis dunked on Ibaka during this game? How many times was Ibaka late in transition or weakside help? This is not against him as a player. I think any of traditional PF would look bad against today Giannis. It is about pace, speed of modern NBA game. How many statistical records beat NBA players this season? Same stats should be read differently.

How many times Giannis dunks on everyone ?
This is Giannis game, he is the best player in the league attacking the rim. Not much you can do about that.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#20 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Clippers are a joke man. No Gobert, still get beat.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves