Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Re: Wolves | Pistons | Hornets 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
AirP. wrote:He plays rookies when they actually are the best option. Just 3 seasons ago Mirotic was in the running for Rookie of the Year under Thibs. Not only that, but Thibs needed outside shooting badly that season and actually experimented with Mirotic at SF since there were no minutes at PF or C(until someone got hurt). Chicago had Gasol, Noah and Gibson playing those positions in front of him.

Except using Mirotic as your reasoning is flawed. He wasn't a typical rookie. He had, what, like 5 seasons as a pro basketball player for Real Madrid, and turned 23yo during his rookie season.

Dunn a 22/23yo rookie hand drafted by Thibs to be his "guy" to take over for Rubio--as rookie still couldn't break through the Thibs rookie wall. (Yes, Rubio's play had just as much to do with that.) Still a sound example. Imagine a 20yo, 1 and done rookie trying to crack Thibs lineup for meaningful minutes that contribute to Wolves playoff push.

Dunn got 17.1 minutes per game as a rookie.
Mirotic got 20.2 minutes per game as a rookie.

How can you say one broke through the "Thibs rookie wall" but the other didn't?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#22 » by rugbyrugger23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:
AirP. wrote:He plays rookies when they actually are the best option. Just 3 seasons ago Mirotic was in the running for Rookie of the Year under Thibs. Not only that, but Thibs needed outside shooting badly that season and actually experimented with Mirotic at SF since there were no minutes at PF or C(until someone got hurt). Chicago had Gasol, Noah and Gibson playing those positions in front of him.

Except using Mirotic as your reasoning is flawed. He wasn't a typical rookie. He had, what, like 5 seasons as a pro basketball player for Real Madrid, and turned 23yo during his rookie season.

Dunn a 22/23yo rookie hand drafted by Thibs to be his "guy" to take over for Rubio--as rookie still couldn't break through the Thibs rookie wall. (Yes, Rubio's play had just as much to do with that.) Still a sound example. Imagine a 20yo, 1 and done rookie trying to crack Thibs lineup for meaningful minutes that contribute to Wolves playoff push.

Dunn got 17.1 minutes per game as a rookie.
Mirotic got 20.2 minutes per game as a rookie.

How can you say one broke through the "Thibs rookie wall" but the other didn't?

I didn't say either did. Talking to me?

If AirP thinks Mirotic did, by his 2nd in rookie of year voting and production/performance on Bulls, that is his position. And my point being Mirotic was a 5-6 year seasoned "Pro" who was 23yo playing his rookie year.

For the record, I don't think Dunn did. Which is why I said he didn't despite having many/all the chips staked in his favor going in to season (hand picked by Thibs--top 5 pick--22/23yo vs. 19/20--anointed Rubio replacement--etc.).
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,509

Post#23 » by AirP. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Dunn a 22/23yo rookie hand drafted by Thibs to be his "guy" to take over for Rubio--as rookie still couldn't break through the Thibs rookie wall. (Yes, Rubio's play had just as much to do with that.) Still a sound example. Imagine a 20yo, 1 and done rookie trying to crack Thibs lineup for meaningful minutes that contribute to Wolves playoff push.

Right, Dunn wasn't ready. He didn't look confortable on offense, didn't look for his own shot much and blew a decent amount of easy layups(that I saw).

Rookies and why they didn't play for Thibs
2010 - Asik, weird a rookie didn't get but 12 minutes a game on a 62 win team and only Noah, Boozer and Gibson in front of him.
2011 - Butler, picked 30th and was only behind Deng, R.Brewer(better player at that time then Butler), Korver and R.Hampton.
2012 - M.Teague, may be one of the worst NBA players I had ever seen, he was a project and with that, not playing.
2013 - T.Snell 16 minutes a night and was very inconsistent much like he was in college(which is why teams stayed away from him).
2014 - D.McDermott, Mirotic, One played a huge role for the Bulls his rookie season, one is barely able to see the floor(in OKC) 3 years later although he was a lottery pick.

As a coach he got his teams to win and with that, not very high draft picks which also means, lesser rookies trying to crack the rotation of very good teams.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,509

Post#24 » by AirP. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I didn't say either did. Talking to me?

If AirP thinks Mirotic did, by his 2nd in rookie of year voting and production/performance on Bulls, that is his position. And my point being Mirotic was a 5-6 year seasoned "Pro" who was 23yo playing his rookie year.

For the record, I don't think Dunn did. Which is why I said he didn't despite having many/all the chips staked in his favor going in to season (hand picked by Thibs--top 5 pick--22/23yo vs. 19/20--anointed Rubio replacement--etc.).

Mirotic had a hard time finding floor time, he was behind 3 legit good bigs in Pau Gasol(all-star team that year), Noah and T.Gibson, there weren't any minutes which is why Mirotic during his rookie year played out of position at SF to get minutes on the court.

By the way, last year wasn't really considered a good draft class, not horrible but not good. Anyone not named Ben Simmons probably wouldn't be in the top 7 or top 8 of this year's draft. That being said, I expect Dunn to make really good strides and have a much better 2nd year. At this point, the way Thibs went slow, there should be a lot of excitement in Minnesota for what they can do in this offseason to be a much better team next year. Next year is probably what people thought the first year would have been had Thibs not went the development route. If the Wolves don't get better next year(baring something major) it'll be more then fair to attack Thibs as a coach or GM.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#25 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 24, 2017 11:44 pm

I wouldn't touch this as Detroit. Dre's future doesn't seem as bright but there's still the potential he grows into a significant piece. And his fit is terrible with KAT anyway.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves