ImageImageImage

The Justin Patton thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Re: Wolves select Justin Patton at No. 16 

Post#61 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 am

Klomp wrote:OK, I've been accused of talking myself into a guy after the fact many times before, but I don't care. It's happening again.

I don't view him as strictly a center. Honestly, I could see him develop into what some here hoped Jonathan Isaac would be. Maybe not at SF, but the PF part for sure. He's already got an extra 30 lbs head start on Isaac too, plus an extra inch in height, two inches wingspan and three inches standing reach.

You and all of us too lol. At this point, does it matter who is PF or C? Seems pretty interchangeable with these two guy's skillsets and athleticism. Maybe KAT can run the point and Patton can be the SF :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,907

Post#62 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:19 am

Another good writeup: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687523-justin-pattons-meteoric-rise-has-creighton-and-the-nba-dreaming-big

When Patton verbally committed to his hometown college team the summer before his senior year of high school, the locals were stumped. On a Creighton message board thread at the Bluejay Underground discussing his commitment, the second response is from a fan posing the question, "Walk-on?"

"People think I'm lying when I say that I had never heard of him, and I live in Omaha," said Nick Bahe, a former Creighton player who now does color commentary for Fox Sports 1 and has a radio show in town. "The high school is 20 minutes away from my house, and I had never heard of him. I had to call the Creighton staff and ask, 'Who is this guy?'"
----
Patton admits that at first he was in denial when people started floating the idea he was a future NBA player. And the type of player he's become is not what he ever envisioned.

Even last fall when Creighton's coaches were asking him to get physical during a low-post drill, Patton questioned McDermott.

"I told him I've never played that position before," Patton said. "What have you got me doing?"

McDermott told him to trust him, pointing out every decision he had made thus far—from signing him to redshirting his freshman year—had paid off.

Indeed, the improvement has been steady this season, highlighted by an early-January signature performance at St. John's (25 points, nine rebounds and four assists). Patton even scored two baskets that night on post-ups. McDermott reminded Patton afterward of his hesitancy to embrace becoming a true 5-man. "That looked pretty good tonight," he told the freshman.

That last chunk has some KAT parallels. There's video of some real nice passing ability too.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#63 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 am

Why people are fine with another big with the lack of shooting this team has? like really... why?

Derrick White is a better prospect than Patton, he got picked by the freaking Spurs, he would have helped this team more during his rookie deal.
If you want a project and upside pick at least get somebody with starter's upside like Allen or Anunoby.

The way some front offices attack the draft seems focused on getting the biggest guys available for whatever reason, which is unreal in 2017.

Patton was a terrible value pick at 16th, his upside is as a back-up scoring rim-running C, if you are ever good you can sign those guys on the cheap.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,192

Post#64 » by Neeva » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25 am

You you weren't gonna find good shooting help at 16th pick from a rookie, obviously will need to get shooting through free agency.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#65 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 am

Neeva wrote:You you weren't gonna find good shooting help at 16th pick from a rookie, obviously will need to get shooting through free agency.

Plenty of bets available though, Josh Hart, Sindarius Thornwell and Derrick White for example. Yeah, they're older than Justin Patton, but why would you want to bet on an offensive 5 when you have Karl freaking Anthony Towns? If you wanted to draft big, draft a 4 with defensive potential like Jonah Bolden or Jordan Bell.
derek360
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#66 » by derek360 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:31 am

Would've preferred John Collins or even Tyler Lydon. Patton is a project at this point. I don't see him making an impact anytime soon. I hope I am wrong. At least Collins and Lydon can shoot.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#67 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 am

Klomp wrote:OK, I've been accused of talking myself into a guy after the fact many times before, but I don't care. It's happening again.

I don't view him as strictly a center. Honestly, I could see him develop into what some here hoped Jonathan Isaac would be. Maybe not at SF, but the PF part for sure. He's already got an extra 30 lbs head start on Isaac too, plus an extra inch in height, two inches wingspan and three inches standing reach.

I'm definitely loving everything I've seen and read and I agree totally with big3_8_19_21, he moves a lot like KAT. I agree about him not appearing to be strictly a center as his workout videos and skill set are very forwardish. Gotta admit I'm very excited about this kid. One of the top things you should look for in a prospect imo is do they love the game and are they gym rats.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#68 » by minimus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:

I'm definitely loving everything I've seen and read and I agree totally with big3_8_19_21, he moves a lot like KAT. I agree about him not appearing to be strictly a center as his workout videos and skill set are very forwardish. Gotta admit I'm very excited about this kid. One of the top things you should look for in a prospect imo is do they love the game and are they gym rats.

If Patton is smart enough to learn from both KAT and Thibs he would be a steal. Physical tools and work ethic are there.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#69 » by realEAST » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Congrats on getting Butler, you have a really nice team at this point.

Just my two cents on pick - I think you could have done better going with OG as you could have waited for him to recover, or even T. Ferguson to develop off the bench.
But well, still good position you are in
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#70 » by packforfreedom » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:07 pm

I've just watched some scouting videos, and I have to say I'm intrigued by Patton. He's that type of big, Thibs want to work with. good defensive upside, good enough on the offensive end and extremly good at running the floor. That'll also mean, that at least Hill is gone and Aldrich might be too.
loganhelland
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#71 » by loganhelland » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Im a Creighton Alum and watched about 75% of the games last year. He is very fluid and athletic for a 7' guy. He is too skinny to push people around in the post. He has some post moves but doesnt pass well out of it and is a little to careless in that area, but that is not his game. He runs the floor extremely well and always rim runs. He is very good in the pick and roll and scored a ton off lobs on the pick and roll. When the starting point guard went down with an ACL, his production dropped. He relies on somebody to get him the ball in good spots, but he can finish well when he is put in that spot. He is also a very good midrange shooter, but not out to 3 yet, kind of in line with Dieng I would say. He is not a great rebounder. He can block and alter shots well. Can move well in the pick and roll but needs more reps. I can see him play on the offensive end like DeAndre Jordan, but he can have a future with popping as well. Needs work on rebounding and defense to be up to that level though and I dont think he will get to the Jordan level in that.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#72 » by breatnach » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Seems like an interesting player. Given that he plays the same position as Towns though, I think he'll have a hard time getting minutes. Let's hope it works out for everyone.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#73 » by Maefteda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I really liked Patton before the draft, but I'm just not sure about his fit with us after the Butler trade. We needed 3PT shooting and since our window is a hell of a lot closer now, we could have used someone who could produce straight away.

Even if Patton pans out.. could he play next to Towns? They seem like similar type of players, so I'm not so sure about the fit.

Again, he was one of my sleeper picks this year, but is he right for us?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,907

Post#74 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Maefteda wrote:I really liked Patton before the draft, but I'm just not sure about his fit with us after the Butler trade. We needed 3PT shooting and since our window is a hell of a lot closer now, we could have used someone who could produce straight away.

I didn't think anyone was available at 7 who would produce right away, so I certainly think the same applies for 16. But I'd much rather make a pick like this than a lower-upside addition like Ferguson, White or Hart. The team is building for more than just 2017-18.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
RiseoftheWolves
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#75 » by RiseoftheWolves » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:00 pm

I won't pretend to know a great deal about Patton but I will say that the more I read about him and see of him, the more I think we've chosen well.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#76 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Fischella wrote:Why people are fine with another big with the lack of shooting this team has? like really... why?

Derrick White is a better prospect than Patton, he got picked by the freaking Spurs, he would have helped this team more during his rookie deal.
If you want a project and upside pick at least get somebody with starter's upside like Allen or Anunoby.

The way some front offices attack the draft seems focused on getting the biggest guys available for whatever reason, which is unreal in 2017.

Patton was a terrible value pick at 16th, his upside is as a back-up scoring rim-running C, if you are ever good you can sign those guys on the cheap.

Being honest, it's difficult taking you seriously when you once posted this:

Fischella wrote:Okafor will eat alive Towns anytime, they are not even in the same stratosphere as prospects.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#77 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Maefteda wrote:I really liked Patton before the draft, but I'm just not sure about his fit with us after the Butler trade. We needed 3PT shooting and since our window is a hell of a lot closer now, we could have used someone who could produce straight away.

I didn't think anyone was available at 7 who would produce right away, so I certainly think the same applies for 16. But I'd much rather make a pick like this than a lower-upside addition like Ferguson, White or Hart. The team is building for more than just 2017-18.

How is Patton's upside higher than White? is it because he is taller? is that all there is?

Patton's upside is been a rimrunning big from the bench that can finish and maybe switch a little bit, he shies away from contact and is awful on the boards, he isn't physical, doesnt have the type of defensive upside to be a big time C and playing a big next to Towns feels like a waste in general.

You can sign those type of players on the cheap always if you are a good enough team, ask Golden St., so why would you draft them ahead of well-rounded guards that might actually be able to space the floor for you and play solid D like White?

If the Wolves drafted White I'd feel amazing about their night.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#78 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Back in January, Pattons name popped up.

From the 2017 Draft Prospects thread on the NBA Draft forum:

doordoor123 wrote:Watched a couple Creighton games today, really like Justin Patton. Could see him in the top 10. He might be the best center prospect of this class. Still has a lot to develop, but a lot of potential.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#79 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Back in January, Pattons name popped up.

From the 2017 Draft Prospects thread on the NBA Draft forum:

doordoor123 wrote:Watched a couple Creighton games today, really like Justin Patton. Could see him in the top 10. He might be the best center prospect of this class. Still has a lot to develop, but a lot of potential.

lol I've calmed down on him. Once he lost his point guard he fell down to earth. He still has potential, but really needs a lot of developing. I do like his confidence though. He's kind of soft and a better blocker than defender, but Thibs is the perfect guy to show him how to play. He definitely went to the right team because he already has nice offensive moves and is developing his jumper.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,731

Post#80 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm

derek360 wrote:Would've preferred John Collins or even Tyler Lydon. Patton is a project at this point. I don't see him making an impact anytime soon. I hope I am wrong. At least Collins and Lydon can shoot.

He's a mobile rim protector. Minnesota already has 3 proven 20+ ppg players on the roster, currently still have a great passing PG, there's a huge need for rim protection and him being mobile and able to finish well makes him a potential great roleplayer that could fit in well with the team. Was he the best player available, probably not but he might be the best long term fit for this roster.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves