ImageImageImage

3 pt shooting concern

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Screwy28
Freshman
And1: 11

3 pt shooting concern 

Post#1 » by Screwy28 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:56 pm

With everyone concerned about our 3 pt shooting I wanted to address it a bit and hopefully calm some of yalls anxiety. This is the way I see it. Our starting 5(Dieng is in my starting 5), all 5 guys have proven they have an effective stroke from 3 pt range. All guys are low volume 3 pt shooters but who is to say that another year of getting better that Wiggins, Towns, and Dieng aren't gonna be more successful and shoot more from deep. With all our talent on the floor, I have reason to believe that we will get a lot more open 3's and we'll be able to knock them down. Now with our bench we have Crawford who can go on fire in an instant, Tyus who continues to get better, Bjelica who can knock down the 3 but the key thing for him is confidence, I think his first year he knocked down 38%. That's 8 guys in our rotation that I'm confident that can knock down 3's. I know we don't have a high volume 3 pt threat but maybe we don't need one. We have a lot of efficient 3 pt scorers and guys that are still getting better. Also we are still adding to this team so who knows who we get. Lastly, offensively wasn't our issue last year, it was our defense and it was atrocious, we added butler and Taj and that will go miles in getting that fixed and we should all be happy about that. The only thing I regret is CJ Miles would've been magnificent on this team
RIP Flip, you will be missed. You created the journey and now you get to sit back and watch it unfold from Heaven. Thanks for everything, you are a staple of what every person should strive to be.
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Re: 3 pt shooting concern 

Post#2 » by phonzadellika » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:31 pm

My initial hunch is that Wiggins starts taking a lot more 3s and gets relegated to a super 3-D role. He'll get the ball behind the arc and either shoot, make an easy pass, or attack the closeout.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#3 » by Swish4 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Yeah I think Wiggins can spend a little more time this summer developing that 3 point shot, should be a big focus for him for sure.
Screwy28
Freshman

Post#4 » by Screwy28 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm

And don't sleep on Dieng, he might surprise a lot of people around the NBA because while Towns and Butler get double teamed Dieng can take a step back and shoot the long ball...was efficient in the small amount of shots he took from there last year
RIP Flip, you will be missed. You created the journey and now you get to sit back and watch it unfold from Heaven. Thanks for everything, you are a staple of what every person should strive to be.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Screwy28 wrote:With everyone concerned about our 3 pt shooting I wanted to address it a bit and hopefully calm some of yalls anxiety. This is the way I see it. Our starting 5(Dieng is in my starting 5), all 5 guys have proven they have an effective stroke from 3 pt range. All guys are low volume 3 pt shooters but who is to say that another year of getting better that Wiggins, Towns, and Dieng aren't gonna be more successful and shoot more from deep. With all our talent on the floor, I have reason to believe that we will get a lot more open 3's and we'll be able to knock them down. Now with our bench we have Crawford who can go on fire in an instant, Tyus who continues to get better, Bjelica who can knock down the 3 but the key thing for him is confidence, I think his first year he knocked down 38%. That's 8 guys in our rotation that I'm confident that can knock down 3's. I know we don't have a high volume 3 pt threat but maybe we don't need one. We have a lot of efficient 3 pt scorers and guys that are still getting better. Also we are still adding to this team so who knows who we get. Lastly, offensively wasn't our issue last year, it was our defense and it was atrocious, we added butler and Taj and that will go miles in getting that fixed and we should all be happy about that. The only thing I regret is CJ Miles would've been magnificent on this team

I agree with everything you just posted. With Dieng starting every one of our starters shoots the 3 above league average. That shouldn't be a huge weakness for us despite none of them being volume three point shooters. Dieng's 3 ball is one reason I advocate for him starting rather than Gibson, but I do get the Defensive advantage of starting Gibson.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,326

Post#6 » by Calinks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 pm

I am still concerned but I think like you said, there is potential for growth. At the very least I think we can be around 20th in 3 point shots made per game with our current team make up minus some improvement, and if our defense is really good, that will be enough to carry us into the post season and make some noise.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#7 » by Mattya » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:21 pm

We shall see. We gain a lot going from Rubio to Teague, but you lose a lot going from LaVine to Butler.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Lots of glass is half full posts. Here's the glass is half empty retort...

Gorgui shot a total of 43 3 pointers last season. Very small sample size. And he is a career .343 shooter from distance (again small sample). I'm not ready to make the assumption he becomes a stretch 4.

Butler shoots well from 3 every other year. In odd years he shoots .294 (456 attempts). In even years he shoots .374 (546 attempts). Guess what this year is.
2011-12: .182
2012-13: .381
2013-14: .283
2014-15: .378
2015-16: .312
2016-17: .367

Jeff Teague is right at league average both last season and career.

Wiggins was just a hair below league average last year, his best year so far. Will he continue to improve? Probably but it is not a given.

Crawford has been up and down the last 8-9 years and is a career .350 shooter from deep. He will be 37 years old. Probably not going to go up.

Gibson is a career 11% 3 point shooter.

Tyus was average last year, below average the previous year.

Bjelica shot .316 last year and he is injured (and will have rust and recovery time).

Sure, if everyone improves and everything goes right, we'll be fine but what are the odds of that happening?
Screwy28
Freshman

Post#9 » by Screwy28 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

C.lupus wrote:Lots of glass is half full posts. Here's the glass is half empty retort...

Gorgui shot a total of 43 3 pointers last season. Very small sample size. And he is a career .343 shooter from distance (again small sample). I'm not ready to make the assumption he becomes a stretch 4.

Butler shoots well from 3 every other year. In odd years he shoots .294 (456 attempts). In even years he shoots .374 (546 attempts). Guess what this year is.

Wiggins was just a hair below league average last year, his best year so far. Will he continue to improve? Probably but it is not a given.

Crawford has been up and down the last 8-9 years and is a career .350 shooter from deep. He will be 37 years old. Probably not going to go up.

Bjelica shot .316 last year and he is injured (and will have rust and recovery time).

Sure, if everyone improves and everything goes right, we'll be fine but what are the odds of that happening?

I think the point I'm trying to make is that we have lots of guys that are capable 3 pt shooters and many are young and still developing their game. There is reason to be concerned but with all things considered I think we'll be a better 3 pt shooting team than last year strictly off of development alone. How much better? Time will tell
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#10 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Always felt like lack of 3 point shooting was overblown. Wiggins is going to be the key and he's improved so much last season, and its expected that the game will continue to slow down for him. And he won't have to do everything on offense with KAT. The legs won't be as tired throughout the game
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#11 » by HitmanCapone » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 pm

C.lupus wrote:Lots of glass is half full posts. Here's the glass is half empty retort...

\
hmmm well if we go off of his every other year thing then lets also include that he has improved every other year in the even years, so if he continues to follow suit he should shoot somewhere starting around .333 or higher and since he lowers his shooting pct by .010 every odd year I think the following season he'd be shooting somewhere around .355.

That is if we're sticking to this every other year pattern.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#12 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I don't think we're every going to be Golden State or Houston from 3 point line. That said I think with the exception of Gibson you're not going to see teams just leave a guy open at the 3 point line and ruin our spacing. Making 3s at a high % is great and I hope we do, but I think he bigger benefit to having the threat is it opens the floor better.
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#13 » by phonzadellika » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 pm

karch34 wrote:I don't think we're every going to be Golden State or Houston from 3 point line. That said I think with the exception of Gibson you're not going to see teams just leave a guy open at the 3 point line and ruin our spacing. Making 3s at a high % is great and I hope we do, but I think he bigger benefit to having the threat is it opens the floor better.

Agreed, but I think that will only happen after a few games where the Wolves win by hitting open 3 after open 3. If I'm an opposing coach I think I want the Wolves to prove their ability to beat from 3 as opposed to their ability to beat me in the paint, which is almost assured due to Towns/Butler/Wiggins, before I seriously think about playing them honestly.

Wiggins and Teague are the keys. The offense will flow through Butler/KAT; Wiggins and Teague need to be able to consistently hit open 3s to create space.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves