ImageImageImage

With the 3rd Pick in the NBA Draft, the Wolves select.......

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who do we draft

OJ Mayo
66%
Brook Lopez
18%
Someone else
16%

Total votes: 127

TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#241 » by TheProdigy » Wed Jun 4, 2008 8:57 pm

4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#242 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 4, 2008 9:02 pm

HA, HI-larious
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#243 » by cpfsf » Wed Jun 4, 2008 11:16 pm

http://www.nba.com/draft2008/board/mock.html

Wow, I actually disagree with picks 1-4.
#1 Beasley
#2 Rose
#3 Bayless
#4 Mayo (even though Mayo would be the best pick for Seattle in this situation, we would not draft Bayless before Mayo or Lopez).

Of 11 mock drafts, OJ Mayo is picked 4 times, Lopez is picked 4 times, while Love, Beasley, and Gordon are each picked once. Not that long ago, most of the mock drafts believed Lopez was our pick. Suddenly the mock drafts are favoring Mayo.
Vincent Burnett
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#244 » by Vincent Burnett » Thu Jun 5, 2008 6:10 am

Did you guys know that oj mayo has a record from hs? I think he has way to many character flaws. You guys are overhyped on him. If he is so good why didnt usc do better. I dont really see him as an upgrade over what you got.

Vincenzo
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#245 » by Vindicater » Thu Jun 5, 2008 7:24 am

Vincint I agree with you in that Mayo is nowhere near as good as some of my fellow board members have made him out to be, but to be fair, he WOULD be an upgrade over what we have. He will be a starter for a long time in the NBA and should be an All-star.

His potential dicatates he could be an All-NBA player some day, though I seriouslly doubt he will ever reach that high, though an All-defensuive team is well within his grasp.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#246 » by cpfsf » Sun Jun 8, 2008 9:28 pm

I just don't want to see Memphis draft Mayo so Miami and Memphis can trade
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#247 » by mayorhoiberg » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:21 pm

Sorry if this has been posted in the last 21 pages...

One thing I forget, and I assume others do too, by posts on this and other boards, is that a draft-day trade down would be announced after the Wolves make their selection.

So on draft day, I expect to hear: "With the third pick in the NBA draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select OJ Mayo."

And then I expect to be waiting until about the 12th pick or so to hear, "We have a trade!"

What I'm trying to point out here is that from just after our selection at #3, I (along with others?) will be settling on the idea of Mayo in a T'Wolves uni only to find out *LATER* that a trade has happened.

I'm not saying I'd be for or against that, I'm just saying that we will have a point in time where we think our pick is Mayo and that might not be the case.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,375

Post#248 » by younggunsmn » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:54 pm

Yeah, I will definitely be holding my breath and hoping I don't hear "we have a trade". If we do trade down I don't expect it to be any further than 8th.

Honestly I don't see what kind of value we would be offered that would be worth moving down from a potential superstar. If we go into next year with Jaric and Foye as our only PG-capable players and Kevin Love at Center/PF I will puke.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#249 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:02 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Yeah, I will definitely be holding my breath and hoping I don't hear "we have a trade". If we do trade down I don't expect it to be any further than 8th.

Honestly I don't see what kind of value we would be offered that would be worth moving down from a potential superstar. If we go into next year with Jaric and Foye as our only PG-capable players and Kevin Love at Center/PF I will puke.

Don't worry, we'll pick Chalmers up in the 2nd round, breathe easy

PG Foye/Chalmers/Jaric
SG McCants/Forbes/Jarc
SF Gomes/Brewer/Jaric
PF Jefferson/Smith
C Love/Richard
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#250 » by Carpe Diem » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Love is not a pro center. He is an undersized wide-body 4. He is not the best use of the best pick we've had in over a decade.

C: Vet Min FA/Jefferson/Richard/Young Center from trading 31/34.
PF: Jefferson/Gomes
SF: Brewer/Gomes/Jaric
SG: Mayo/McCants
PG: Foye

I see the majority of backcourt minutes being played by Foye (34), Mayo (34) and McCants (20) with Jaric or another min. contract type picking up the rest.

Jefferson (20 at pf), Brewer (20-24), Gomes (30), Jaric (15-18) as the forwards.

FA VET (20), Jefferson (10-15), Richard/Rookie (8-13).

This team will likely win between 32-40 games.

I don't see us resigning Telfair or Smith.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#251 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Love is not a pro center. He is an undersized wide-body 4. He is not the best use of the best pick we've had in over a decade.

C: Vet Min FA/Jefferson/Richard/Young Center from trading 31/34.
PF: Jefferson/Gomes
SF: Brewer/Gomes/Jaric
SG: Mayo/McCants
PG: Foye

I see the majority of backcourt minutes being played by Foye (34), Mayo (34) and McCants (20) with Jaric or another min. contract type picking up the rest.

Jefferson (20 at pf), Brewer (20-24), Gomes (30), Jaric (15-18) as the forwards.

FA VET (20), Jefferson (10-15), Richard/Rookie (8-13).

This team will likely win between 32-40 games.

I don't see us resigning Telfair or Smith.

This isn't personal, but I keep seeing people post a lineup like this, with Mayo starting at SG and Foye at PG.

Wouldn't it make infinitely more sense to start Mayo at PG and McCants at SG, then have Foye be the 6th man? That puts him in position to play most of his minutes in the 2nd and 4th quarters AND gives us an option at either PG or SG for a substitution early on if McCants or Mayo needs one.

It just makes more sense to me... am I alone here?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#252 » by shrink » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 pm

No new Chalmers!

No new Chalmers!
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#253 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:44 pm

shrink wrote:No new Chalmers!

No new Chalmers!

Be careful what you say. Of course we don't want Lionel Or Mario, but what about Gary?

Hi Principal Skinner! Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#254 » by PeeDee » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:55 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:It just makes more sense to me... am I alone here?

I think you probably are. If Mayo is the pick, I would think he and Foye would share the pg duties. Having 2 guards that are able to set-up the offense and create their own shot as well as play off the ball is a good thing.

McCants has proven he's only good for one thing right now, and that's scoring. His best position is a scoring punch off the bench.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#255 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:06 pm

If Mayo is the pick, I would think he and Foye would share the pg duties.

That's what I said. If you think they should share, why would one start at SG?

McCants has proven he's only good for one thing right now, and that's scoring. His best position is a scoring punch off the bench.

I don't buy into revisionist history from a 34-90 head coach.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#256 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:22 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:
If Mayo is the pick, I would think he and Foye would share the pg duties.

That's what I said. If you think they should share, why would one start at SG?

Because he's a shooting guard. Mayo averaged something like 2.5 assists and 3 turnovers per game at USC. At some point I expect that he'll be able to play some PG but I don't know if it will be at the beginning of the season, half-way through the season or 3 years down the road.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#257 » by PeeDee » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:30 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:That's what I said. If you think they should share, why would one start at SG?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant I would think they would both start and both play guard. Rather than one starting at sg and one starting at pg.

I think people get WAY too wrapped up in the traditional line-up of C, PF, SF, SG, PG.

If you've got players that can play and their talents mesh and complement each other, who cares what other people think a line-up should consist of?

That said, size and match-ups need to be taken into consideration as well.
Either way, starting Mayo and Foye at guard does not hurt the line-up (as it stands) at all and is what I would expect they would do.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#258 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Love is not a pro center. He is an undersized wide-body 4. He is not the best use of the best pick we've had in over a decade.

no, Craig Smith is an undersized wide-body 4. Kevin Love is a PF/C with a complete offensive game, elite rebounding ability, and rapidly improving defensive game and conditioning. He could stay in college all 4 years, improve his conditioning there and be the consensus #1 pick and out of our reach, or we can get him now while we're in the position to, improve his conditioning with us while reaping the benefits of his production and development along the way, and then in 4 years we have the best frontcourt in the history of the universe.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#259 » by shrink » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:37 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote: Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Love it. It makes me laugh every time I hear it.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#260 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm

PeeDee wrote:If you've got players that can play and their talents mesh and complement each other, who cares what other people think a line-up should consist of?

That said, size and match-ups need to be taken into consideration as well.
Either way, starting Mayo and Foye at guard does not hurt the line-up (as it stands) at all and is what I would expect they would do.

I agree on all of these counts, and I still think that Mayo/McCants with Foye off the bench able to sub for either position is better than Foye/Mayo with McCants off the bench.

Length also comes into play here, as McCants is the only of the three with a decent wingspan.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves