ImageImageImage

With the 3rd Pick in the NBA Draft, the Wolves select.......

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who do we draft

OJ Mayo
66%
Brook Lopez
18%
Someone else
16%

Total votes: 127

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,394

Re: With the 3rd Pick in the NBA Draft, the Wolves select....... 

Post#281 » by shrink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:15 pm

I think its interesting to hear outside perspectives on Mayo. This is from the mod on the CHA board.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=797484&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

fatlever wrote:
ohara wrote:Fatlever, do you think that Miami is serious about Mayo over Beasley? If they did take him #2, what would you try to offer MINN to get Beasley if you could? Since McHale likes Love and he or Randolph may make it it to #9, we might be able to entice them into a deal.

i definitely think its real. and if i was the heat, i would probably select mayo over beasley as well. can you imagine a mayo/wade backcourt? something must be said about mayo's relationship with wade and mayo's maturity level. i think if the heat want mayo though they will have to take him at 2. no way minnesota trades up. they have all the leverage. i think the heat just have to bite the bullet, not get too cute, and take the player they feel is the best fit for their team and if that means gifting beasley to minny at 3... oh well.

knowing all that... i think minny will value the 3rd pick more than they would if they knew beasley was going at 2. i think he would take more than Gerald Wallace and 9 to get 3. i would turn that down if i was mchale.
shrink
RealGM

Post#282 » by shrink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Beasley at #3 is definitely a possibility. I read elsewhere (it's probably been posted here as well, I can't remember), that after Mayo works out for us later this week in CHI, he is also working out a second time for the Heat. There are also talks about Mayo heading back to MIA again for futher interviews next week.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#283 » by deeney0 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Wallace and 9? Depends on the filler.
shrink
RealGM

Post#284 » by shrink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:32 pm

It sounds like they aren't completely opposed to trading Okafor, particularly if the #3 is Beasley. However, his new contract would have a huge impact on his trade value. they are a little frustrated with Okafor's lack of development on the offensive end, but I think everyone recignizes he's a star.

The Bobcats have some interesting pieces.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#285 » by andyhop » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 pm

shrink wrote:It sounds like they aren't completely opposed to trading Okafor, particularly if the #3 is Beasley. However, his new contract would have a huge impact on his trade value. they are a little frustrated with Okafor's lack of development on the offensive end, but I think everyone recignizes he's a star.

The Bobcats have some interesting pieces.

I don't think Okafor is a star he is a starting quality big man ,the only thing he excels at is rebounding.He has had one good year last season and the other three years he has been in the league he has been slightly above average at best.He benefits in how people value him like Bogut because of the severe lack of good centers in the league which leads people to think that the 8th or 9th or whatever you rate him as best centre in the league must be really valuable whereas in reality he isn't a game changer and you would be better off spending your money elsewhere if you want to win more games and putting up with a lesser guy at the 5.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#286 » by deeney0 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Okafor would perfect next to Al, absolutely perfect. Only thing that would make me hessitate trading #3 for him is the contract situation.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#287 » by horaceworthy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Okafor's overrated, even without taking his injury history into account. I'm not too interested in dealing for him.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#288 » by TMo519 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:36 pm

horaceworthy wrote:Okafor's overrated, even without taking his injury history into account. I'm not too interested in dealing for him.

Overrated as a franchise player, but put him next to Big Al and I like it.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#289 » by cpfsf » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:44 pm

NBA Consensus Page (updated)
8 of 11 predict O.J. Mayo third with Love, Lopez, and Gordon getting one vote each
Of the three sites that did not predict OJ Mayo third, their overall predictions proved to be terrible

In both the Timberwolves Poll and poll on this thread, 68% predict the Wolves will will select Mayo

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/
http://www.nba.com/draft2008/board/mock.html

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#290 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:17 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft200 ... ter-080622

Hollinger's perimeter player rankings. None of them grade out as worthy of lotto picks except for Joe Alexander. Mayo with a "fringe first rouneder" ranking. Rose he predicts as first round material, but not elite, and also as possibly being a better SG than PG.

According to his system, the only stars in the draft are Michael Beasley and Kevin Love.

His top 15:

Michael Beasley
Kevin Love
Darrell Arthur
Marreese Speights
D.J. Augustin
Derrick Rose
Joe Alexander
Brook Lopez
Mario Chalmers
Jerryd Bayless
Roy Hibbert
Kosta Koufos
Donte Greene
Darnell Jackson
DeAndre Jordan
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#291 » by funkatron101 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=DraftRater-080622&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dDraftRater-080622

Hollinger's perimeter player rankings. None of them grade out as worthy of lotto picks except for Joe Alexander. Mayo with a "fringe first rouneder" ranking. Rose he predicts as first round material, but not elite, and also as possibly being a better SG than PG.

According to his system, the only stars in the draft are Michael Beasley and Kevin Love.

His top 15:

Michael Beasley
Kevin Love
Darrell Arthur
Marreese Speights
D.J. Augustin
Derrick Rose
Joe Alexander
Brook Lopez
Mario Chalmers
Jerryd Bayless
Roy Hibbert
Kosta Koufos
Donte Greene
Darnell Jackson
DeAndre Jordan

Wow. In three years he might be spot on, but for now it seems kinda crazy.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#292 » by gold0259 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Mayo is more of a players than corey brewer ever will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#293 » by Wingman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm

I thought his systems were bsed on stats. How did Jordan do better than Mayo?
Otis
Analyst
And1: 35

Post#294 » by Otis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Hollinger's ratings are always based on efficiency, so it's a per minute thing and totally worthless unless they all get similiar playing time and defensive/offensive attention from the other team.

As for the draft, I hope the Wolves take Mayo and either keep him or take one of these hard to believe deals for his rights. I personally like the Bogut and 8 deal if gallinari is still available, maybe for alexander. I also think that the Clippers could do something with their assets, but I do not like Kaman at all, reminds me of Rasho for some reason. I can already hear Stephen A. Smith saying, "The Timberwolves are Ter-i-ble because they start Chris Ka-man!"

The wet dream would be if Beasley fell to three and we actually kept him. That would be sweet.

By the way, is it me or do all these deals seem like all the NBA folks are smoking crack. #2 for Brand and the 7, #3 for Yianlain and the eight, #5 and Conley for the #2, Lee and scrubs for the #5. They all just seem WAY too undervalued on one side or the other.

Later.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#295 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Otis with his annual appearance
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#296 » by revprodeji » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 pm

OTIS!!!!!!!
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves