Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Trade Up? 

Post#1 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:11 am

OK, before you bash me, hear me out.

Dwyane Wade needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Having a dominant point guard like Rose would make him less effective IMO. That's why 2/3s like Wade, Kobe, LeBron, and MJ played with point guards that don't need to have the ball in their hands most of the time.

So I think we should use some of our flexibility with our abundance of picks and try to trade with Miami.

Does anyone else feel me or am I crazy?
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#2 » by B Calrissian » Wed May 21, 2008 1:12 am

I would love for that to happen but I doubt it does.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Re: Trade Up? 

Post#3 » by cpfsf » Wed May 21, 2008 1:13 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:OK, before you bash me, hear me out.

Dwyane Wade needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Having a dominant point guard like Rose would make him less effective IMO. That's why 2/3s like Wade, Kobe, LeBron, and MJ played with point guards that don't need to have the ball in their hands most of the time.

So I think we should use some of our flexibility with our abundance of picks and try to trade with Miami.

Does anyone else feel me or am I crazy?

crazy, sounds cool, but Rose and Beasley are too good to pass up.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#4 » by 4ho5ive » Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 am

You are absolutely right TF21. But you just cant pass on a guy like that.

IF it was possible, I would send em our #3 and any combination of picks from Bos, Mia and our 2nd rounders to move up there.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#5 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed May 21, 2008 1:35 am

nothing short of Al Jefferson would interest those teams with trading with us
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#6 » by Calinks » Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 am

There is no way in hell we can trade up.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#7 » by Blame Rasho » Wed May 21, 2008 1:43 am

Calinks3 wrote:There is no way in hell we can trade up.

Agree...

Anyways I see Chicago picking Rose...
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#8 » by Krapinsky » Wed May 21, 2008 1:47 am

All indications point to Rose being Riley's first choice. And on the contrary, other scouts have said Wade is more effective off the ball.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Wed May 21, 2008 1:47 am

I dont know, have they given up on Hinrich after one bad year??
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#10 » by invno1 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:56 am

The Bulls have a good shot at LBJ ....Niki has that 100 million dollar endorsment if he goes either to NY or Bulls. Bulls have tons of talent but I cant see em trading that pick for anything.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,420

Post#11 » by shrink » Wed May 21, 2008 3:49 am

MIA posters seem united that Rose is their man.

I think Beasley would have been a better fit, but they know the Heat better than me.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#12 » by younggunsmn » Wed May 21, 2008 4:06 am

I think It's a moot point because Rose will go to Chicago.
He is from Chicago, plus gordon and hinrich are not true PG's.
They will riot there if they pass on the local kid and consensus #1.

I think any team wanting rose or beasley will have to pry them out of miami or chicago's cold dead hands, just like durant and oden last year.
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#13 » by MN Die Hard » Wed May 21, 2008 2:35 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080520

The skinny: The Heat are big winners, too. They don't get the No. 1 pick, but they do get their favorite player in the draft. A Rose-Wade backcourt should be awesome.

But if the Bulls select Rose No. 1, the word on the street is that the Heat might be willing to deal the pick. While Beasley would be an upgrade over Udonis Haslem, it sounds like the Heat aren't sold.

Just speculation from Chad Ford here, but maybe it wouldnt be impossible to get Beasley? #3 plus their pick back for #2???
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 pm

they'd probably trade him for something really good like Melo or Okafor/change
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#15 » by B Calrissian » Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080520

The skinny: The Heat are big winners, too. They don't get the No. 1 pick, but they do get their favorite player in the draft. A Rose-Wade backcourt should be awesome.

But if the Bulls select Rose No. 1, the word on the street is that the Heat might be willing to deal the pick. While Beasley would be an upgrade over Udonis Haslem, it sounds like the Heat aren't sold.

Just speculation from Chad Ford here, but maybe it wouldnt be impossible to get Beasley? #3 plus their pick back for #2???

I think they would want to get a young star that has been in the league a couple years to team up with Wade and Marion. We would have to add more to that deal anyways. Do you see them moving down to get Mayo or Lopez? A Wade/Mayo backcourt would be fun to watch. However they need a center. Trading Beasley for Lopez/1st doesn't seem like a good deal for them.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,420

Post#16 » by shrink » Wed May 21, 2008 3:00 pm

MN Die Hard wrote: Just speculation from Chad Ford here, but maybe it wouldnt be impossible to get Beasley? #3 plus their pick back for #2???

What an interesting idea! Teams may tend to overvalue getting their picks back, because they get more security in their future and they don't need to eliminate protections when they reclaim the pick. I think we'd still need to add a little more incentive.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#17 » by the_bruce » Wed May 21, 2008 3:16 pm

I think it may be possible to trade up in some scenarios where MIA wants an instant rebuild in 1 year(not necessarily with the wolves). Something like....

MIA: trades down a few spots + vet1 player or young guy that can be turned into a decent vet player. Trades the pick they traded down to for another vet2 player. Trades Marion to NYK for Randolph + pick. Sends pick for a vet3 player.

Vet1
Randolph
Vet2
Wade
Vet3

Trading the #2 has more value for an instant rebuild. While they could just hold onto the pick and say draft Beasly for a more long term approach I'd think that GMs might be more inclined for short term gains via trade like the celtics and to a lesser extent LA did this year with Gasol. If MIA takes Beasly they get one good to potentially great asset, and ditch Haslem who is decent for increase in production. They sell him at a discount, but do get a return. If they trade the #2 they potentially get 2 guys that can fill big needs and help the team contend in the east next year. I think it just depends what Riley wants to do he mentions leverage, and this pick gives them the leverage to rebuild in 1 year.

Just to throw the names that are on the block a lot in trade board for cheap something like(I know this is to much salary but I'm not in the mood to trade checker or put thought into this at the moment)....

JO\Randolph\Redd\Wade\Marbury

While I don't like 4 of the added vets I will admit that is a very good lineup. They could also go after melo and have the wade + melo combo. I dunno I like the potential for MIA to do some big things if they wanted this offseason.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#18 » by mandurugo » Wed May 21, 2008 3:22 pm

This is no problem - step 1: Trade with chicago

Chicago outgoing: #1 (Beasley) and Nocionni/whatever bad contracts

Minnesota outgoing:
Al Jefferson

Chicago gets a proven low post scorer that will play well with Noah plus they get to get rid of whatever contracts they want, for example Nocionni (who is actually a good player just overpaid, but whatever)

Despite what Ford thinks, Wade and Rose don't make sense together, neither is as effective without the ball. So we are primed for step 2: trade with miami

Miami outgoing: #2 (Rose)

Minnesota outgoing: #3, Foye, return 1st round pick

Foye and Wade could probably coexist plus they could pick Lopez to fix their frontline....

All that's left is step 3: 2nd round

31: Dorsey
34: Walker

And we get:

F.A. Richard Madsen
Beasley Dorsey A. Walker
Nocionni Jaric Walker
Brewer McCants Buckner
Rose Telfair

Sign a free agent center and the wolves are set. Or somehow trade A. Walker and whatever we can scrap up for Marcus Camby. Or I suppose resign Gomes to back-up the PF and move Dorsey to center. Hmmm, even in fantasy land this ain't easy.
B Calrissian
Head Coach

Post#19 » by B Calrissian » Wed May 21, 2008 3:35 pm

^ Then we can trade Rose and Beasey for Lebron James..
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#20 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed May 21, 2008 3:39 pm

I prefer Jefferson/Foye/Mayo to Beasley/Rose/Nocioni

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves