ImageImageImage

Keep McCants or trade him up with #34 for a big?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,509

Post#21 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jun 1, 2008 12:39 am

younggunsmn wrote:I really like the idea of packaging mccants and the Miami pick for a selection in the 8-12 range if Brook Lopez slides as many are now saying he might. I really want us to use that pick to get hasheem thabeet next year though.

I'd make that trade but I don't it will be on the table. I'd don't think we'll be able to find enough value to make trading McCants worth while.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#22 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:58 am

Jaric for Ethan Thomas

there u go u have our big

theres no use trading young talent for dud big guys you get in the late 1st round :banghead:
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#23 » by younggunsmn » Sun Jun 1, 2008 6:05 am

If McCants had shown he was
a.) willing to take coaching
and
b.) willing to play a team game (and come off the bench if needed)

this would be a moot point and there would be no denying he was a part of our future. He averaged 14.9 Pts in 27.0 minutes last year. If we could get him to accept a bench-spark role with the same minutes this year he would be a big piece to our team. However I doubt the likelihood of that.

As for value, thankfully us posters don't have the info or perspective real executives have. The truth is there aren't a whole lot of guards out there with his offensive talents, his scoring ability is something coveted in the league right now. None of the guards in the draft outside of rose and mayo have proven they have that type of potential. Posters from other boards point to poor defensive metrics and PER/PER allowed, but poor perimeter defense is a league-wide problem right now. Shaddy's propensity for stupid fouls and for turnovers improved quite a bit as the season went along. If he was a more level-headed player he would have a ton of value. Rumors are that there may be a psychological issue at play. If he gets that fixed he could be a piece to the puzzle long term here.

Sadly I think the front office (especially McHale) overvalues him quite a bit (as they do all their players). This summer is our best (and last) chance to get value back for him. His value alone should be an early-mid 20's 1st rounder. 34/shaddy/buckner for 28/darko was mentioned by someone, that would be intriguing because darko would be an excellent rebounder/shot-blocker to put next to Al.

Ideally, we draft Mayo at 3 and a rotation-quality big man at 31 and/or 34.
My fear is that there will be a big run on big men at the end of the 1st round and there will be no one left there the front office likes. Also there is an advantage in trading into the first round in that we'll have the player under contract for 4 years instead of 2.

As for Kirk Snyder, he's as good as gone unless he accepts a veteran minumum contract. Taylor knows he will lose a lot of money next year, so be prepared to be disappointed when it comes to our restricted free agents unless McHale talks him into someone. I think we definitely want gomes back, but telfair has a 3.5 million tender and snyder a 3.3 million tender. I'd like bassy back, but it doesn't look good. I don't think we match a multi-year offer to craig smith. After our draft picks and before signing any of our free agents we'll be at about 57 million in payroll. I don't see Taylor going above 62-65.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves