ImageImageImage

Mid-late 1st centers

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#21 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Koufos is all about the desire. Does he want to pull a Kevin Love and get in great shape? Does he want to push people around and be an effective defensive player? I think desire and defensive tools are essential for our 4/5 prospect.

I think it is the jump shot off his first step I am talking about. He used it a bit.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#22 » by big3_8_19_21 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:59 pm

I think Ibaka is in the 2009 mock for DX, I don't know if he's in the draft this year
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,317

Post#23 » by younggunsmn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Rev, Hardin measured 6'9.5 without shoes and 6'10 3/4 with shoes, so I'd list him at 6'11. He had a 9'1 1/2 reach, which is average, but short when compared to some of the legit 7 footers.

I think Hardin could very much be a young Ratliff, without quite as much shotblocking presence. I like the fact that he's a defense-first guy.

In the past we've had too many mediocre centers who felt they needed touches in the post. If we end up with Mayo it might be hard getting enough shots for him, Foye, Gomes, and Al, and maybe McCants off the bench if we don't trade him. Why add another offensive minded post player? There's only one ball. Someone has to set screens and box out.

Hibbert would be perfect to have against guys like Oden, Yao, and Bynum.
my 3 concerns are:
1. durability
2. his foot speed hindering what should be a great running team
3. He isn't productive enough when it comes to shotblocking and rebounding for a guy his size.

If we could somehow end up with both, I'd be ecstatic because I think they'd be perfect compliments.

McGee probably has a long way to go. He could very well become another olowokandi if his work ethic is not up to par. I hadn't heard the defensive knocks.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#24 » by big3_8_19_21 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:15 pm

I also wouldn't mind taking 2 stabs at it in the 2nd with Nikola Pekovic and Omer Asik.

Pekovic's DX best case scenario: Al Jefferson, worst case: Rasho Nesterovic. I obviously haven't seen him outside of highlights, but he put up 16.4 ppg and 6.9 rpg on 58.4% FG and 77.3% FT in the Euroleague, which is the BEST competition in the world outside of the NBA. DX calls him the best center in the Euroleague. Good finisher inside and can step out and hit a midrange shot.

Asik received high praise from DX as well, I think rev posted that, so I won't repeat.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#25 » by andyhop » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:36 am

Jawaii is basically a less skilled Eddie Curry with rebounding at present.He scores well in the NBL because he can muscle his opponents around and then dunk,he is at least 3 years from being able to play more than garbage minutes in the NBA.

Koufos disappointed me this year he settled for being a jump shooter instead of getting himself into the paint and using his post game and on the defensive end he didn't seem to like to bang either for most of the year.If he changes his mentality which is a big IF he is the best of these guys because he has the ability to do it all .

Pekovic isn't going to be over anytime soon if ever unless you are interested in giving him a pretty big deal (MLE +) ,someone will pick him in the second but I would be surprised to see him ever hit the court in the US.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Re: Mid-late 1st centers 

Post#26 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:28 am

revprodeji wrote:1-Low BBIQ(bastardly low), sees himself as a 3/4 and padded most of his stats against 6'7 post players. Kid will bust.
2-He is a project, but he has desire, workethic and great physical tools. The comments coming from the euro scouts are great. I hope we get this kid. The difference with a 4/5 is very gray and Ibaka could rebound/shot block at both spots. I see him being a high pick. Some scout getting a man crush at the 10-15 range. I am high on him. Reminds me of a less strong-but quicker Nene.
3-Perhaps, but he disappeared big time this year. He did a very good job against Lopez, but had a disappointing season. That being said, he is on my board. I like his defensive focus and his blue-collar work ethic. I am concerned about his size. If he is a legit 6'10, or more of a 6'8. He looked shorter to me. Ratliff is 6'10 and Hardin would project as that type of prospect if he has the size.
4-Unsportsmanlike play? I am brain farting. Personally, I think Robin would not be considered better than the Collins brothers if not for the focus that Brook got. Thats why I am neutral.
5-actual height is a concern here also. Same with speed and hands. He would be a project of course.
6-Is lack of defense and rebounding worries me. ALso his lack of physical play and points in the paint. I spoke about him more above. With proper coaching he could be an effective player, but a bad fit for us.
7-Hard to figure. Looks great in practice, but not in games. His negatives are dangerous negatives (
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#27 » by revprodeji » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Hibbert would play in the high post mostly. Where he is more effective than Lopez. He is a better passer and even was the key cog in the difficult princton offense. He is not a diva that wants to shoot. I personally think he is more comfortable as a role player next to a better post player (as he was next to Green) He has the skills, and that would be helpful as a scoring option, but his defensive awareness, size, shot blocking and passing would be the key.

Many teams run 2 line-ups. 2 different teams within a team. They run a big team with a token 5-4-3-2-1. They run that line-up for half the game or so. Slowing it down in the halfcourt and bumping for rebounds.

The other half of the game is a fast line up. A 4-3-3-2-1 or something along those lines. That line up has spacing, and speed.

With Hibbert we have the 5 that plays half the game. Then we pull him and throw Gomes in or someone for the fast line-up.

In that roll Hibbert is your man for 10+ years.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Winter Wonder » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:23 pm

revprodeji wrote:Hibbert would play in the high post mostly. Where he is more effective than Lopez. He is a better passer and even was the key cog in the difficult princton offense. He is not a diva that wants to shoot. I personally think he is more comfortable as a role player next to a better post player (as he was next to Green) He has the skills, and that would be helpful as a scoring option, but his defensive awareness, size, shot blocking and passing would be the key.

Many teams run 2 line-ups. 2 different teams within a team. They run a big team with a token 5-4-3-2-1. They run that line-up for half the game or so. Slowing it down in the halfcourt and bumping for rebounds.

The other half of the game is a fast line up. A 4-3-3-2-1 or something along those lines. That line up has spacing, and speed.

With Hibbert we have the 5 that plays half the game. Then we pull him and throw Gomes in or someone for the fast line-up.

In that roll Hibbert is your man for 10+ years.

Great points on Hibbert and somethings people tend to overlook. The NBA is alot about match-ups. Why Dallas struggles with Golden State, why Phoenix has trouble with San Antonio, the match-ups. Hibbert is a good post. He has the IQ and knows how to play team ball. Yes, he is slower of foot than many, but he is also legitimately over 7 foot and knows how to play both high post and low post ball. He understands defensive rotations and can tell where he has to go. He is a good passer and a high-low pass from Hibbert to Jefferson will be a nightmare for most opponents.

I am not saying he is the sure thing pick for us, but he would definitely not hurt. Again, is he fast? Not even close, but most transition is a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 type of break. Yes, trailers to get involved, but once the initial break is stopped and slowed up and a defender is up in the face of the ball handler, hitting the trailers is not nearly as easy. Plus, with helpside, it should allow enough time for a center to lumber back to the defensive side of the court.

Regardless, there are so many interesting center prospects out there this year I have no problem with us taking a stab at a few of them. Admittedly, Asik, Ibaka and Hibbert are probably highest on my list with R. Lopez and Koufos not far behind, all dependent upon draft position.

And Pekovic will not be coming over soon by my best guess.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#29 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 pm

Pekovic coming over probably depends on how motivated a team is to get him over here (aka pay him)
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:40 am

exactly, which is why the value is for an early 2nd rd pick so a team can sign the contract they want, rather than being bound to a rookie pay scale (ala Gasol)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves