ImageImageImage

PHO Trades?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

PHO Trades? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 pm

The recent article about PHO makes me optimistic that a trade is possible with these guys.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... _for_pick/

The Suns are exploring the possibility of trading for another first-round pick in next week's draft and appear willing to move Boris Diaw or Leandro Barbosa to do so, according to The East Valley Tribune.

"If we could capitalize on (the depth of the draft) and get more than one (first-round pick), we would," Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin said. "If that's below us or above us, either way that's fine. It's just a potentially good opportunity to fill a few needs and address our need for youth."

I like that they think the draft is deep (and I agree with them), so that might provide additional incentive for a look at our early second rounders -- in addition to their lack of a guaranteed, longterm contract! Moreover, we have several players that might look good on the Suns to varying degrees .. McCants, Jaric, Gomes, even Craig Smith.

I guess my question would be .. how well would Diaw or Barbosa fit in around here?

Would something like McCants + Jaric for Diaw be encouraging? His deal is endless ($9 mil through 2012)

How about Barbosa for McCants + Buckner + #31? Barbosa makes about $6.85 mil through 2012.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Re: PHO Trades? 

Post#2 » by revprodeji » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 pm

You are missing the 1st rd pick they want.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#3 » by deeney0 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 pm

I don't think this is the right team for either of them, and they have awfully pricey deals.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#4 » by john2jer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:47 am

Maybe someone here can explain to me the difference between Barbosa and McCants. I understand that Barbosa can play the point, but I think when you consider the measureables, age, and stats, McCants makes up the difference between the two. Especially when you account for the pace their respective teams play at.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:05 am

Barbosa plays with better teammates.

btw, He cannot play the point. Hence why they gambled on Banks.

Too Bad Ny does not have a mid-1st. That would be the perfect fit.

You are correct that we are the wrong team to have this.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#6 » by john2jer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10 am

revprodeji wrote:Barbosa plays with better teammates.

btw, He cannot play the point. Hence why they gambled on Banks.

Ok, so that's my greatest frustration with the realgm boards right now, ok maybe 2nd greatest, the new format change is driving me nuts.

I think McCants would absolutely blow Barbosa away if Shad played for Phoenix, or if Barbosa played for the Wolves. Well, maybe more so the past few years when D'Antoni was the coach.

So maybe McCants to New York is a possible idea, but not sure about what they have that we want other than #6. Of course I still love the three guard rotation of Mayo, McCants, and Foye.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 am

What is the pet peeve?

NY is interesting. With the understanding that Shad would fit. The problem is I am not sure if they would want him with so many guards they have.

Perhaps we hit on multiple fronts.

-1.) RUmor NY would use pick to get rid of contracts (use Walker and swallow a nasty contract)
-2.) Move future draft picks. We have 2 early seconds, we also have Bos and Mia next year.

Not sure the value is there, but who knows.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#8 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 am

I think the problem with Barbosa is that Phoenix was trying way too hard to play him at point, it just isnt natural for him. He needs to be off the ball running around screens and poppin 3's. But i'll admit in these playoffs he couldnt finish at the rim for jack siht
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,924

Post#9 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:10 am

Eddie House is a better point guard than Leandro Barbosa (and thats not saying much). Case closed.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 am

klomp44 wrote:Eddie House is a better point guard than Leandro Barbosa (and thats not saying much). Case closed.

You could argue they are similar. The differences are pretty big

-Eddie is a very good defender
-Eddie is a focal vet leader.

Both guys (if playing the 1) would need other players to create (when eddie is in KG or Pierce creates) But he is a good back up 1. He can bring the ball up the court-create spacing and defend.
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#11 » by MN Die Hard » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:33 pm

4ho5ive wrote:I think the problem with Barbosa is that Phoenix was trying way too hard to play him at point, it just isnt natural for him. He needs to be off the ball running around screens and poppin 3's. But i'll admit in these playoffs he couldnt finish at the rim for jack siht

At least he gets to the rim. His numbers are very similar to those of McCants, but I think the big difference is that LB gets to the rim WAY more than does McCants. I really like Barbosa's game, but I guess a McCants swap would be a lateral move.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#12 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:00 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:At least he gets to the rim. His numbers are very similar to those of McCants, but I think the big difference is that LB gets to the rim WAY more than does McCants. I really like Barbosa's game, but I guess a McCants swap would be a lateral move.

I would agree with you that he does seem to find his way to the basket than McCants. I would say though, that the production is almost similar and that moving McCants for Barbosa would actually be a step backward as opposed to a lateral move. I say this because Leandro is a couple years older but more importantly he has a contract that makes me want to vomit.

08/09-$6.1 mill
09/10-$6.6 mil
10/11-$7.1 mil
*11/12-$7.6 mil

With the last year being a player option. This hurts us financially as McCants is still on for cheap and if Im up on my salary regulations we can offer him more than anyone else can as we have his bird rights. I may be wrong on that one though.

What Im saying is McCants is more valuable to me, because of his production per dollar. Barbosa makes damn near triple what McCants makes this year and for someone who looked like the took a step backwards in the playoffs, I wouldnt make a move for him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves