Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Randy Wittman / Future Possibilities 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:23 am

What's everyone's thoughts on him.

Obviously I wish him and our team well this year, but if the team struggles and he gets canned. I think we could get some pretty good candidates in here. Number one candidate for me would be Tom Thibodeau. Why?

He's probably the best assistant coach in the NBA today. Not only that, but he's coached in Minnesota before, so he knows the area.

He would've been my top candidate this year and will be next year too. Others in my list are Dwane Casey (though McHale would never admit his mistake), Terry Porter (obviously doubtful now), Mark Jackson, and Jeff Van Gundy.

Another option could be McHale. Remember that he has coached this team before and with some success, going 19-12 in 2005. If this were to happen, my guess is that they would learn from the New York fiasco and relieve him of his duties as VP of Basketball Operations. That would move Hoiberg into that new role.

Thoughts?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Re: Randy Wittman / Future Possibilities 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:43 am

I don't think Mchale wants anything to do with coaching again lol. I wouldn't mind going after a young or more unproven coach seeing as we are in the rebuilding stage and it would be nice to have a coach that could grow with the players. I liked the guys you mentioned. I'm not sure about Porter but I don't know much about his coaching ability. I like Case but like you said, that aint happening. There is probably more of a chance of Flip coming back than Casey/

I want a coach that will preach D. I want to see Shad playing the D he played before Casey got canned.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Tekkenlaw » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 am

Unless he gets us into the playoffs next season, I want him gone. He isn't a good enough coach to get us to that next level.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#4 » by deeney0 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:10 am

If Randy's canned, I've got no problem keeping it in house and giving the reigns to Jerry Sichting. He did well when RSW had his back surgery last year, the guys responded well to him.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 am

The whole focus of the team is building this year and then one more draft FA and then making a playoff push. That being said, I could see Wittman only here for this year. Remember, he did not want to coach here in the first place. Wittman is a good teacher and discipline guy, but a bad game coach.

That being said, I could see Sichting or even JB being groomed for it. We seem like we like bringing guys from within. Both those guys have a feel for the team. They both have their own strengths. I think JB will be a very good HC someday. I just am not sure if he is ready yet.

McHale and Wittman riding off into the sunset.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
collin_k41
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#6 » by collin_k41 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:41 am

McHale and Wittman riding off into the sunset.

Sounds too good to be true rev. But here's to hoping :pray:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#7 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 am

I'm surprised you guys don't want Thibodeau. I think hes had as much of an effect (if not more) on the Celtics Defense as Garnett did.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:18 am

Blasphemy...

Head coach is more than just a system, or a concept. It is about motivation and being a figure the team will respect and go to battle for.

not saying TT does not have that, but there are other factors. If he was such a hot prospect I am shocked Chicago and even Phx did not wait to interview him.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 am

I agree with Rev on JB. I have been rooting for him for awhile now. I think he can be one of those really underrated coaches in a couple of years. Hopefully its for us.

As for Thibodeau, I think he can be a good coach, I dont see the championship quality in him though. Yea I know the cliche' "Defense wins championships", and that may still hold true, however, he better have a really solid offensive coach with him cause I dont think he is a game plan, offensive scheme kinda guy. Great D assistant, likely not a great HC though
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:52 am

4ho5ive wrote:I agree with Rev on JB. I have been rooting for him for awhile now. I think he can be one of those really underrated coaches in a couple of years. Hopefully its for us.

As for Thibodeau, I think he can be a good coach, I dont see the championship quality in him though. Yea I know the cliche' "Defense wins championships", and that may still hold true, however, he better have a really solid offensive coach with him cause I dont think he is a game plan, offensive scheme kinda guy. Great D assistant, likely not a great HC though

Casey was a defense Budha also.

JB seems to have the respect of the players. He seems to be the one talking to them when they need it. I could see him sticking.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:28 am

Casey is another guy i like, and like Thibideau, i see him being a solid coach, but not really a "winner". I dont see Casey leading a team to a title. Though i will give Nate McMillian credit cuz he is doing a hell of a job in Portland.

As for JB, i like him more than i do Sichting. Casey seemed like a players kinda coach also, he just wasnt handed the most talented roster and was fired prematurely
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#12 » by big3_8_19_21 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:35 am

Are we forgetting Casey's erratic substitution patterns (or at least questionable subbing patterns) as well as lacking of X's and O's knowledge?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the defense we played with him as our coach, but he's not a complete head coach.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:54 am

I put Casey in the same tier as Thibideau. I posted the same thing about TT earlier in this thread, they need strong offensive minds next to them to succeed at the HC position.
GGm0n
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#14 » by GGm0n » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:48 am

How about Scotty Brooks or Sam Mitchell (if he becomes available)?
They'd be some T-Wolf throwbacks that have coaching experience.
Replace McHale with Hoiberg and the Wolves would have a new look with familiar faces.
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#15 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm with you klomp, I'd like to see Thibodeau get a chance before someone else hires him.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#16 » by deeney0 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Not against Thibodeau at all, just throwing more names out there. But RSW gets the full year for sure, and if they show tangible improvement he'll get more time still.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Im all for Sam Mitchell too! I never understand why this guy is always on the hot seat.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#18 » by dunkonu21 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Wittman and DeAndre Jordan FTW!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves