ImageImageImage

realGM fan mock draft: you make the call

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,968

Re: realGM fan mock draft: you make the call 

Post#21 » by shrink » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:29 pm

Its a mixed bag. Marbury wanted out, but that may have been mnore about playing second fiddle to KG than anything MIN. Cassell and Sprewell, our other problem children, were mad because they didn't get extensions to stay in MIN. Again, KG could be the overwhelming factor.

We had this discussion in the Beasley thread, but I think that the reputation of MIN's cold winters hurts us a bit in free agency (but not as much as being a mediocre team). However, once players are here, and have experienced the lakes and the lifestyle, I don't think the state is driving people off.

I'm a bit of a transplant myself, and I was always awed at the way Minnesotans didn't even try to avoid winter -- they found ways to go outside and embrace it. Can't go fishing? Let's cut a hole in the ice. Can't go hiking? Let's put on snowshoes or cross-country skis.. Can't swim in the lake? Let's play hockey on it. No soccer? How about boot hockey? I still spend most of the winter inside, but Minnesotans really impress me in winter.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#22 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Eh. this minnesotan hates november->march. Thank god for the Vikes, Wolves and college sports
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#23 » by casey » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 pm

smoothie wrote:not one vote for kevin love?

I would say Love. I'm not convinced they'll take him. I'm hoping it does happen at this point and I think it's possible.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#24 » by Dewey » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:47 pm

My take: I have no question we will draft Mayo and trade down if Love/Lopez are on the board. Then, we'll package McCants + #31 and #34 to move up to the mid 1st-round. The Wolves know thay have young players and know which ones they want for the long haul, so I expect us to trim some fat before the smoke settles.

Trends: I've heard lots of talk lately about the kid (Joe ?? - forgot) from West Virginia, but he's a SF and we already have Gomes. I don't see it hapening and could be posturing. Bayless has been surfacing as a lock into the top 5, Love or Lopez is slipping.

Best of both worlds in terms of needs: Turn #3 into Bayless and Lopez or Love. Deal McCants and Jaric in the process.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#25 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:47 pm

I'd like to see them pick Love. I think he'll be a good player, but it's more the the reaction it'll engender on Wolves boards across the web.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#26 » by deeney0 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:12 pm

I fine with Love, I'm fine with Lopez. Just not at 3. If they want one of those two, trade down. The third pick should be Mayo (or Beasley). Period.
All Day
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#27 » by All Day » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:11 am

deeney0 wrote:I fine with Love, I'm fine with Lopez. Just not at 3. If they want one of those two, trade down. The third pick should be Mayo (or Beasley). Period.

+1
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#28 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:52 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:KG ended up loving MN after we blew everybody else out the water by many millions of dollars, an avenue that's now closed with the current collective bargaining agreement. The current agreement is tailor-made for big markets as the luxury tax is especially prohibitive for the Minneapolises of the NBA, but easier to handle if you're NY or LA.

At any rate, the fact that WE have to go to Mayo and Gallinari instead of them coming to us like normal proves (as if we don't have enough) what their priorities are. Of course it'd be unwise to come out and create the drama of saying "I do not want to play_____" and I'm sure their agents have specifically instructed them in what to say to the media if asked.

If Mayo comes to MN I'll assume he won't extend his contract until it actually happens. OJ Mayo is a business man first, NBA basketball player second. I will not be swayed!

just to play Devilz advocate, Miami had to go to Chicago to watch Mayo, too.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#29 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:57 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:KG ended up loving MN after we blew everybody else out the water by many millions of dollars, an avenue that's now closed with the current collective bargaining agreement. The current agreement is tailor-made for big markets as the luxury tax is especially prohibitive for the Minneapolises of the NBA, but easier to handle if you're NY or LA.

At any rate, the fact that WE have to go to Mayo and Gallinari instead of them coming to us like normal proves (as if we don't have enough) what their priorities are. Of course it'd be unwise to come out and create the drama of saying "I do not want to play_____" and I'm sure their agents have specifically instructed them in what to say to the media if asked.

If Mayo comes to MN I'll assume he won't extend his contract until it actually happens. OJ Mayo is a business man first, NBA basketball player second. I will not be swayed!

just to play Devilz advocate, Miami had to go to Chicago to watch Mayo, too.

Also both Mayo and Gillinari have workouts scheduled with us this week so...yea...
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#30 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 am

smoothie wrote:thanks guys for all the responses. you've been the best fan board of the top 3 by far.

also, is Devilzsidewalk known to have inside info?

I talk on devil via pm sometimes, does that count?

Mayo has no problem with a small market, It is the job of an agent to get the most money. You get more money in big markets.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#31 » by john2jer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:52 am

I think devilz just hears voices and assumes it's insider info.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
smoothie
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#32 » by smoothie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 am

thanks guys. you've been a great help.

i hope whoever the wolves draft ends up to be a great pick.
sometimes the majority are just a collection of fools.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#33 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:48 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:just to play Devilz advocate, Miami had to go to Chicago to watch Mayo, too.

BUT LIKE 2 WEEKS AFTER THE HEAT HAD THEIR PRIVATE WORKOUT WITH HIM ALREADY EVEN THOUGH MN IS THE MOST LIKELY SPOT THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 pm

john2jer wrote:I think devilz just hears voices and assumes it's insider info.

Ok, that made me laugh.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#35 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:00 pm

well when Kevin McHale drafts Jerryd Bayless, then I'LL be the one laughing

actually no I won't, I'll be crying, but still you get the point
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#36 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Devil, you pick the place, I will bring the drinks. Bayless or Gordon and I might be done.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves