ImageImageImage

Trent Tucker suggests trading Al to the Bulls

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Trent Tucker suggests trading Al to the Bulls 

Post#1 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:20 pm

I was listening to Kfan this morning and Trent Tucker suggested trading Al Jefferson to Chicago in return for the number 1 pick , Tyrus Thomas, Nocioni and I'm not sure if there was anything/one else. That would give the Wolves the 1st and third picks in this years draft. What do you think? Who would you take with the 1 and 3? Rose and mayo? Rose and Love? Beasley and Mayo? Rose and Beasley?
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Re: Trent Tucker suggests trading Al to the Bulls 

Post#2 » by Gunny » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:07 pm

I've actually thought about that a lot too.

I love Al Jefferson. I love what he brings to the game and he works hard EVERY SINGLE NIGHT to make a name for himself. He will be a force in the league for the next decade and even more. He might even put together a few All Star appearances and MAYBE a couple All-NBA First teams. He is worth the number one pick.

With that being said, there's a very good chance that Al Jefferson doesn't become a superstar. If Chicago offered that trade to the Wolves, they'd be stupid to not think about it. A pairing of Rose (#1) and Beasley (#3) would become a superstar duo. If the heat decided to pick Beasley, the Wolves would pick Mayo and swap draft rights, along with filler. Rose and Beasley would fill seats, attract free agents and could become a truly great team.

Rose/Foye
Foye/McCants
Brewer/Nocioni/Gomes
Beasley/Thomas/Gomes
FA or later draft pick/Richard

The Wolves would have to let McCants or Foye loose to create more room if Beasley were to play the 3 so Brewer could potentially slide to 2.

Or maybe if Serge Ibaka, who I feel is a HUGE diamond in the rough, fell to the second round,

Rose/Foye
Brewer/Foye
Beasley/Brewer/Nocioni
Ibaka/Thomas/Gomes
FA or draft pick/Richard

Just a pipe dream, of course. I won't be upset at all if this trade doesn't happen. Just something I've been thinking about.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#3 » by john2jer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Just because McHale got to help out his favorite team, doesn't mean Tucker gets to as well.

We would be left with absolutely NO big men of any quality and very under-sized. But I think you'd have to go with Beasley and Mayo. We'd already be undersized as it is, Rose would forced us to be extremely small. We'd probably have to trade McCants and the 2nd rounders for a couple of 1st rounders.

With the Suns - McCants for #15

With the Spurs - #31/34 for #26 and #57

C - Speights/Hibbert
PF - Beasley/Thomas
SF - Nocioni/Gomes
SG - Mayo/Brewer
PG Foye/Jaric

Can Speights turn in to Jefferson? He's 3 years younger, can he do it by 23?

It's a decent line-up with a lot of potential, but I think you have to keep the sure thing, Al Jefferson, with the great contract.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#4 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Good luck convincing McHale that, Al's the guy he's been dreaming of for years. Plus true low post presences are such a rarity on offense, he's only 23.

It looks like a fun trade on NBA live, but in reality id say thanks but no thanks
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#5 » by prefuse73 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:36 pm

Im sorry but you don't get rid of guy like Big Al right now. There are only a handful of guys in the league that can do what he does. If it was last year and we could get Oden and Horford...then we can talk.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#6 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm

my friend said whos a bulls fan said he would do it in a million years ,not even if we threw in foye
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:59 pm

Your friend is crazy. Jeffersons the exact type of player the Bulls would love to have.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#8 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:04 pm

yeh i argued with him for like 2 hrs but he didnt care lol ,i even included more and he said no way
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#9 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:45 pm

No no no!

There is NO guarantee ANYONE in this draft will be a great player. Why the hell would we throw away 22 and 12? Great bigmen are hard to find. Great guards come along in every other draft.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
AirGordon
Junior
And1: 0

Post#10 » by AirGordon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:29 pm

As a Bulls fan there is no way I would do that trade. Not only would we give the #1 pick (I think both Rose and Beasley will be better than Al) we would also throw in Tyrus and Noc? Heck no. Al is a great player. But I dont think I would even do Al for the #1/filler straight up.

I just have very high hopes for Rose and Beasley. Its nothing against Al hes great. But I dont think he will ever be a super star. He will allways be more of a very high caliber All Star. Where as Rose and Beasley have the potential to become super stars. But hey we will see how everything plays out.

I think you guys have a decent core built and if you add Mayo to the team you guys will have a good chance of making it to the playoffs pretty soon.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#11 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Dan's with the Wolves wrote:I was listening to Kfan this morning and Trent Tucker suggested trading Al Jefferson to Chicago in return for the number 1 pick , Tyrus Thomas, Nocioni and I'm not sure if there was anything/one else. That would give the Wolves the 1st and third picks in this years draft. What do you think? Who would you take with the 1 and 3? Rose and mayo? Rose and Love? Beasley and Mayo? Rose and Beasley?

I'd probably do that deal. It leaves the Bulls with the following lineup

Hinrich/Duhon
Gordon/Hughes
Deng/Thabo
Al Jefferson/Gooden
Noah/Gray

That's a solid team for years.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:37 pm

The Bulls would have an awesome line up, with Al and those wing players, and also Noah at center will let Al play PF.

Plus he's got a very kind contract.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,533

Post#13 » by shrink » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 pm

AirGordon wrote:As a Bulls fan there is no way I would do that trade. Not only would we give the #1 pick (I think both Rose and Beasley will be better than Al) we would also throw in Tyrus and Noc? Heck no. Al is a great player. But I dont think I would even do Al for the #1/filler straight up.

This post demonstrates why its the wrong time of year to think that fans who's team have a lottery pick (particularly top 3) can reasonably value their picks. With all the media hype, fans see the players as who they hope they will be -- not what their expected value is.
AirGordon
Junior

Post#14 » by AirGordon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Shrink in drafts that dont have a potential super star I agree with you. But not only do we have a top 3 pick its the #1 pick and in a draft that has 2 potential super stars (alot of people think Rose may be the #1 pg in the future) not to say that will happen but who knows. This draft is just about equal if not equal to last years draft with Oden and Durant. Do you think Portland would have given up their #1 pick/fillers for Al? Heck no. Just like Oden is compared to Duncan, Rose is compared to CP3. You dont give up that sort of potential. You take that risk and hope for the best. IMO anyways. It deppends on if you want to be safe or take a risk.

I mean I do see what your talking about. If this draft did not have 2 potential super stars like many drafts in the past I would have no problem parting with the #1 pick/fillers for Al. But Beasley and Rose may turn out to be great, I personally would rather keep the pick and hope for the best. If Beasley and rose were not in this draft and the top player was Mayo than yeah consider that trade done. But that is not the case. I think if that trade was offered to Paxon I would hope he would take the risk and hope Rose/Beasley turn out to be great.
ChilliWilly15
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#15 » by ChilliWilly15 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:01 pm

I would do #1+Noc for Al, but including Tyrus would be the deal-breaker for me.

Al Jefferson is very good, and his defense isn't as bad as outsiders would have you believe.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#16 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:04 pm

This isn't even Greg Oden or rookie Shaq we are talking about here.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#17 » by funkatron101 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Al is proven. Rose is not.

It would be interesting to revisit this thread in a few years. You may be kicking yourself at the thought of turning down Al in a Bulls uniform, or you may be happy with Rose.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#18 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:09 pm

shrink wrote:
AirGordon wrote:As a Bulls fan there is no way I would do that trade. Not only would we give the #1 pick (I think both Rose and Beasley will be better than Al) we would also throw in Tyrus and Noc? Heck no. Al is a great player. But I dont think I would even do Al for the #1/filler straight up.

This post demonstrates why its the wrong time of year to think that fans who's team have a lottery pick (particularly top 3) can reasonably value their picks. With all the media hype, fans see the players as who they hope they will be -- not what their expected value is.

Yeah I'm not sure why many Bulls fans continue to overrate their players so much even one who hasn't even played in the league yet.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
AirGordon
Junior

Post#19 » by AirGordon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:11 pm

funkatron101 wrote:Al is proven. Rose is not.

It would be interesting to revisit this thread in a few years. You may be kicking yourself at the thought of turning down Al in a Bulls uniform, or you may be happy with Rose.

I agree with you. There is a good chance that may end up happening. Why not take the risk? If rose can fill out the potential he has I really think he will be a top 3 pg (along with CP3/Williams) in the nba in 2-3 years. If that ends up happening who would you rather have CP3/Williams or Al? I think just about anyone would choose CP3 or Williams over Al. I also have very high hopes for Beasley and feel that he may be putting up the same if not better numbers than Al in a few years. I just feel both of them have more potential than Al.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,533

Post#20 » by shrink » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Re-reading my post, it came off sounding a little like I was trying to be insulting, but that wasn't my intention. It was more a statement about the hype that surounds picks between the lottery and the draft.

Oden is talked about as a "once-in-a-decade" type of player, with his physical ability. I don't see those comparisons with Derrick Rose or Beasley. I haven't heard people say Rose may be the #1 PG in the future (better than Chris Paul? wow), but I'm sure you follow this more closely than I do.

Al should have gotten more accolades for what he did last year, though we probably heard ten times as much about Bynum. People are usually surprised when I list Al's numbers:

Al was 21 PPG, 11 RPG on FG 50% shooting.

#11 in Points
#13 in Blocks
#4 in Rebounds
#8 in EFF points

.. and he's 23.

I think of Rose and Beasley as roughly equivalent, but this is the most that even the most fervent Beasley supporter could hope for, with all the downside that comes with a untested, smallish, kid with character questions.

Now I understand the desire to hit the home run here, and I share it with MIN. But Al Jefferson already IS the home run, and expecting that a top pick will be even better than this, to me, is a very shaky bet.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves