Beasley trade rumors

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Beasley trade rumors 

Post#1 » by cpfsf » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:42 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Draftnotes-080624&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftnotes-080624

Sources said Heat president Pat Riley made a number of phone calls on Monday trying to gauge what was available to the Heat at No. 2 after finding out that Shawn Marion will not opt out of his contract.

One source told Insider that the Heat are revisiting trade talks with the Grizzlies. Insider reported several weeks ago that there was talk that Memphis would give up Mike Miller, Kyle Lowry and the No. 5 pick as part of a package for the No. 2 pick. The same source said the Heat are asking the Grizzlies to sweeten the deal by substituting Mike Conley for Lowry. The deal would be Conley and the No. 5 pick to Miami for the No. 2 pick and Daequan Cook.

That trade would land Riley the point guard he covets and still get him a high lottery pick in the draft. The Heat would likely choose between Kevin Love or Brook Lopez at No. 5.

The Heat are also talking to the Timberwolves, Sonics and Clippers. The problem is the Wolves don't have much to offer. The Sonics can offer Chris Wilcox and the No. 4 for a deal that brings them the No. 2 and Mark Blount. That could save the Heat cap space. But it may not be enough.

The Clippers have a player that Riley covets deeply in Elton Brand. A deal that swaps Brand and the No. 7 pick for Marion and the No. 2 pick could be another alternative for Riley if he isn't comfortable with Beasley.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Re: Beasley trade rumors 

Post#2 » by big3_8_19_21 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:46 am

I think we have stuff to offer...their future pick, Corey Brewer, Boston's future pick, the 3rd pick, 31 and 34. We don't have any Mike Conley, but we're offering Mayo instead of Lopez/Love
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#3 » by cpfsf » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:51 am

We have Antoine Walker and potentially could give them the expiring contract. Riley may not like Walker, but there should be no problem arranging a buyout.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#4 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:02 am

Lets give them Al Jefferson while we're at it.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#5 » by TheFranchise21 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:11 am

Our front office is so hard to read. I wish we knew more about their feelings towards Beasley. At this point, I find us trading up to #2 highly unlikely. But maybe they're keeping things hush-hush because they really covet him. I remember right after the lottery, McHale was interviewed and knocked Rose for not being able to shoot well.

Taken from the Strib: "If you're going to play next to Al Jefferson, you better be able to do this," McHale said, making a shooting motion with his right arm.

The only thing he's said about Beasley is this: McHale called Beasley the draft's most NBA-ready talent, a player whose size and shooting, scoring and rebounding gifts most readily "translate" into the pro game. He seemed suspect in a post-lottery interview of Rose's shooting abilities.

Michael Beasley can certainly shoot.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#6 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 am

Ill give you that. I hate Mchale like the rest.

But if theres one thing hes good at, its swaying the media a different direction. Maybe they do like Beasley a lot and only the deep FO knows this.
ChazzleDazzle
Junior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by ChazzleDazzle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Don't know if anyone else heard it, but Ford was just on Mike and Mike and said that they only asset the Wolves have that would get them from #3 to #2 is Al. Nothing else would be enough.

To his credit, he did say they wouldn't do that...
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#8 » by funkatron101 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:58 pm

ChazzleDazzle wrote:Don't know if anyone else heard it, but Ford was just on Mike and Mike and said that they only asset the Wolves have that would get them from #3 to #2 is Al. Nothing else would be enough.

To his credit, he did say they wouldn't do that...

That is redonkulous. :lol:

Seriously.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#9 » by deeney0 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 pm

I wouldn't trade Brewer to move up. Eventually, the goal would be to play Beasley at 3. Brewer at 2 makes up for the defensive deficiencies and also creates matchup problems. I don't like the look of this team with Al at 5 and Beasley at 4 long term.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#10 » by cpfsf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53174/20080625/grizzlies_wont_offer_conley_for_no_2_pick/

The Grizzlies are looking to acquire the No. 2 pick from the Miami Heat but won't offer point guard Mike Conley in any offer, according to The Memphis Commercial Appeal.

This seemed pretty obvious they would never include Conley, but it is good to know Memphis likely won't pull another bad trade this seasason. The good news is it at least it limits Miami's options.

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't believe Miami's interest in Love/Lopez, I'm sure they want Mayo. All this talk about them dealing with Seattle or Memphis is lies. They want the juice, they gotta man up and take him at #2. We offer nothing.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#12 » by PeeDee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't believe Miami's interest in Love/Lopez, I'm sure they want Mayo. All this talk about them dealing with Seattle or Memphis is lies. They want the juice, they gotta man up and take him at #2. We offer nothing.

I think so too. Right now, everyone one is posturing trying to get an upperhand. Kind of like dogs. Everyones butt is getting sniffed and sooner or later someone is going to get humped.

I just hope we're not the humpees.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:41 pm

it's weird, because I'd assume all dog butts smell like digested poopy dog chow, but I guess its more complicated than that.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#14 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm

deeney0 wrote:I wouldn't trade Brewer to move up. Eventually, the goal would be to play Beasley at 3. Brewer at 2 makes up for the defensive deficiencies and also creates matchup problems. I don't like the look of this team with Al at 5 and Beasley at 4 long term.

Good point. I think Brewer really needs to work on his game to be a 2, but that makes a lot more sense than a Al at 5 and Beasley at 4 scenario.

Now if by some chance Chicago takes Beasley then I offer Miami Brewer and their pick back to move up and take Rose.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#15 » by PeeDee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:it's weird, because I'd assume all dog butts smell like digested poopy dog chow, but I guess its more complicated than that.

That gives me a great idea. McHale needs to get Crunch over to sniff Riley's butthole ASAP so we can figure out what the hell is going on.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#16 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:57 pm

karch34 wrote:
deeney0 wrote:I wouldn't trade Brewer to move up. Eventually, the goal would be to play Beasley at 3. Brewer at 2 makes up for the defensive deficiencies and also creates matchup problems. I don't like the look of this team with Al at 5 and Beasley at 4 long term.

Good point. I think Brewer really needs to work on his game to be a 2, but that makes a lot more sense than a Al at 5 and Beasley at 4 scenario.

Now if by some chance Chicago takes Beasley then I offer Miami Brewer and their pick back to move up and take Rose.

If Chicago takes Beasley then there is nothing in the world short of a Kobe/Lebron type that could pry Derrick Rose from Riley's hand. He has been looking for his PG, he wants Rose badly, I dont even think Al + their pick back could get Rose from him.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#17 » by deeney0 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:08 pm

If Chicago takes Beasley, everything is simplified. Miami takes Rose, Minnesota takes Mayo. No trades, Rose is who Miami really covets.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#18 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:21 pm

deeney0 wrote:If Chicago takes Beasley, everything is simplified. Miami takes Rose, Minnesota takes Mayo. No trades, Rose is who everybody really covets.

FIXED
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#19 » by shrink » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 pm

As I've maintained for a week, there is a legitimate chance MIA takes Mayo, either to keep or to trade, probably to the Clippers.

BTW - we can't offer Antoine Walker, because a player can't return to his original team in trade for 1 year. Fortunately, this protects us from seeing Blount as well. I think that MIA would require Blount go packing in any #2 trade.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#20 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:Our front office is so hard to read. I wish we knew more about their feelings towards Beasley. At this point, I find us trading up to #2 highly unlikely. But maybe they're keeping things hush-hush because they really covet him. I remember right after the lottery, McHale was interviewed and knocked Rose for not being able to shoot well.
Taken from the Strib: "If you're going to play next to Al Jefferson, you better be able to do this," McHale said, making a shooting motion with his right arm.
The only thing he's said about Beasley is this: McHale called Beasley the draft's most NBA-ready talent, a player whose size and shooting, scoring and rebounding gifts most readily "translate" into the pro game. He seemed suspect in a post-lottery interview of Rose's shooting abilities.
Michael Beasley can certainly shoot.

Yes, Mchale likes Beasley. Hoiberg loves Mayo. (glad we are not picking between them) I am still hearing our front office has concerns for Beasley. But that the people who would eventually make the choice (likely Mchale/Hoiberg) are pro-Beasley. What I am hearing, as of 6pm wed is that we will take whoever falls and be content with that, unless we are offered a pick to trade down that brings a starter as well as a pick that will yield a top prospect we want in the 2nd tier.

karch34 wrote:

Brewer will not be moving. Beasley projects as a 3 long term. We right now have 3 future starters (foye-Brew-Al) we need to put 2 guys around them. We could play a small line up with Al-Beas at the 4-5 but long term Brew is a 2 and Beas is a 3. Position is based on who you defend. Brew will need to work on the same things if he plays 2 or 3. Only difference is his size and defensive matches up better at the 2.

btw, the argument could be made that Rose is the sure 1st talent guy, but not a good fit for Mia. Mia wants a guy that can play now. A guy that can shoot, but does not need the ball constantly. Does Rose fit that?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves