ImageImageImage

#3 for #5 and Marc Gasol?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

#3 for #5 and Marc Gasol? 

Post#1 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 pm

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/NBA/busco/motivacion/elpepidep/20080624elpepidep_19/Tes

Someone posted this @ Rube Chat. Apparently the translation says there are rumors that the Timberwolves are trying to acquire Marc Gasol in a draft-day trade--can this be verified by a spanish-speaker?

Could there be any truth to this?

Would you do it?

Would the Grizzlies?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: #3 for #5 and Marc Gasol? 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 pm

the article is pretty vague about the supposed trade, it says its rumored the Wolves might trade from 3 to 5 to get Marc Gasol. The rest of the article is about Marc and how he's ready for the challenge of playing in the USA and that he's more of a pure center than Pau is and how he has offers to play in Europe, but after talking it over with Pau after the finals, he decided to come play in the US and also that he looks forward to seeing these "motor cars of America" he's been hearing so much about
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:35 pm

oh and would I do it.....I don't know, I think I saw Marc play one time in backup duty for the national team. So I don't know his game. If he's as good as they say he is, then I would.

But if he's not, then I wouldn't. I'm really going out on a limb there.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#4 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Goodness. I'd do it too.

I know little about Marc apart from these sources:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... riz-eager/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marc-Gasol-155/

But wow. Those make him sound really, REALLY appealing.

16PPG on 65% (!!) shooting? 37% from 3pt? 8RPG? Leading the ACB---according to that first link, the premier Pro B-Ball league in the world behind the NBA-- in efficiency? Sign me up.

Who would we then draft at 5?

Gallinari would be my pick.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:47 pm

I like Marc Gasol a lot. Supposedly he's the best big man in europe right now. 7'1" and actually tough. The thing is, if we trade back to 5, then who do we target? Gallinari? Love? Lopez? Alexander?

If they through in Lowry too, that would be an interesting deal.

Lowry/Foye
Foye/McCants
Gallinari/Brewer
Jeffferson/Gomes
Gasol/#31- package picks to trade up
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#6 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I like Marc Gasol a lot. Supposedly he's the best big man in europe right now. 7'1" and actually tough. The thing is, if we trade back to 5, then who do we target? Gallinari? Love? Lopez? Alexander?

If they through in Lowry too, that would be an interesting deal.

Lowry/Foye
Foye/McCants
Gallinari/Brewer
Jeffferson/Gomes
Gasol/#31- package picks to trade up

That's a lot to offer. Gasol, Lowry, AND an extra F for Al's last name?

In all seriousness, why would they give Lowry AND Gasol?

And also, this kind of deal has me for the very first time considering guards towards the end of the first round. How sick would it be to snatch up CDR as well?

Foye/Telfair
McCants/CDR/Buckner
Gallinari/Brewer/Jaric
Jefferson/Gomes(6th man)
Gasol/Richard/FA(POB?)
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#7 » by karch34 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:54 pm

I really wanted Marc Gasol in the draft last year, so this does intrigue me. I have read that he's put on weight and looking like a classic center. I guess it would really depend on what all we could get in the package, plus if we really are interested in Love (which doesn't thrill me), I'd rather trade down to get him.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#8 » by funkatron101 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm

That is really tempting. Does Memphis really want Mayo though? I don't get it from their perspective.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#9 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:07 pm

At first thought I was thinking, NO WAY would I do it. However, I'm thinking I might consider it.

I found this little tidbit on him from Inside Hoops:

Marc is the type of player that the Grizzlies were looking for last year when they signed Darko. He is the center that fits perfectly with an offensive oriented PF. He can score, but he is not going to be a 20 ppg guy in the NBA, but more a 10-12. He has range enough to make the opponent defender go to the high post and open room for the wings and the PF. He is a good passer. He is good in one on one defense (he will obviously suffer with quicker guys) and pretty good in help defense. He is a good rebounder. He is all heart, really. And for me he is actually better than Darko.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83994
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#10 » by Wingman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:23 pm

With all of these good reports about Gasol, how did he slip so far in the draft? If they were to add Lowry I'd do it.
stop-n-pop
Sophomore

Post#11 » by stop-n-pop » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:28 pm

I like Gasol and all, but how many spots after Craig Smith was he drafted? Probably the same number between Aaron Gray and Chris Richard.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#12 » by B Calrissian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I would do this trade. I would like 3rd/Jaric for Crittenton/Gasol/Collins more though.

The Grizzlies would look much better after.

Conley/Lowry
Mayo/Jaric
Gay/Miller
Love/Warrick
Darko/Hardin
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#13 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:37 pm

stop-n-pop wrote:I like Gasol and all, but how many spots after Craig Smith was he drafted? Probably the same number between Aaron Gray and Chris Richard.

Why does it matter? Plus, Smith was in the '06 draft, the others were last year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
sgman01
Ballboy

Post#14 » by sgman01 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Why would Memphis do this? Are they not targeting a big in the draft? Why not keep what they already have?

IMO, I would rather draft Mayo and try to sign Patrick O'Bryant then do this trade.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#15 » by funkatron101 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:57 pm

sgman01 wrote:Why would Memphis do this? Are they not targeting a big in the draft? Why not keep what they already have?

IMO, I would rather draft Mayo and try to sign Patrick O'Bryant then do this trade.

I still want to give POB a shot whoever we take.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#16 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:01 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:
Who would we then draft at 5?

Gallinari would be my pick.

Yeah, that would be a solid night. I think Gallinari is a better fit for the Wolves anyway... not the better TALENT (if the Wolves keep the #3, they'd better pick OJ), but the better fit.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#17 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 pm

funkatron101 wrote:
sgman01 wrote:Why would Memphis do this? Are they not targeting a big in the draft? Why not keep what they already have?

I still want to give POB a shot whoever we take.

I second this.

Better pro: Brook Lopez or Marc Gasol?
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#18 » by Winter Wonder » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 pm

If this is out there, you have to consider it and probably do it. I share the concerns on why he was drafted where he was, but players develop. I just worry about him being a 1 season wonder.

Gasol, though, was a big fan of Memphis from what I read. I believe he spent a bunch of time there while Pau was playing for the Griz and grew to really like the city. I could be WAY off base there, but read it somewhere.

That said, with the #5, I take Gallinari (no suprise I am sure).
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#19 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm

funkatron101 wrote:That is really tempting. Does Memphis really want Mayo though? I don't get it from their perspective.

Remember who's coaching them... Ivanori is a D'Antoni disciple. He wants to speed up the game, take more shots. M. Gasol looks like a little bit of a plodder, more of a half-court player. Mayo would be phenomenal in that system.

Plus, think about the financial implications. Memphis doesn't want to spend money, and Gasol was a 2nd round pick who isn't bound by the rookie salary scale.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#20 » by deeney0 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:21 pm

No.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves