ImageImageImage

Knicks/Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: Knicks/Wolves 

Post#41 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Im more in favor of the 3 and 5 idea than I am the 5 and 6, but I'd be happy with either at that point. Problem with dealing with Memphis directly is that it would be somewhat difficult trying to make the salaries match. Walker for Cardinal and #5 doesnt work and adding McCants only means Memphis has to cut more. They dont have any $2 Mill range contracts. Walker for Cardinal/Lowry/5 works but i think that is too good of a deal for us. Walker/Jaric for Cardinal/Darko/5 works but Memphis would lack a center as well as a 1st round pick to draft one.

The only other deal I can find would be a Walker/Jaric for Cardinal/Collins deal, perhaps throwing in McCants for Critt or Lowry to help their glut at PG. Collins is a $6 mil exp. so they may not want to deal him, but I think everyone can come away from that deal happy.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#42 » by Winter Wonder » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 pm

I had posted it elsewhere, but I believe this works.

Buckner (exp) + McCants (exp, resignable) + #31 for
Cardinal (2yrs) + #5

I think it is comparible, if not better, to Lee + Rose? for Cardinal + #5

If we wanted to deal directly with Memphis.

I still think NY has to throw more to the Grizz, but not sure what the whole deal would be.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#43 » by andyhop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Walker/McCants for Cardinal/Collins and #5 works.
Walker/McCants for Cardinal and a signed #5 works as well if the Grizz picked for us.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#44 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:46 pm

I still think the idea of Memphis dumping the #5 for cap space is far-fetched, but what about this...

Memphis sends Miller, Cardinal, #5
Memphis gets Raef (exp), McCants, #13, #31, future Miami, future Boston

Porltand sends Raef, #13
Portland gets Miller, Buckner

Minnesota sends McCants, Buckner, #31, future Miami, future Boston
Minnesota gets Cardinal, #5

MN drafts Mayo #3, Love #5

Foye/Telfair
Mayo/Jaric/Snyder
Brewer/Gomes
Jefferson/Smith
Love/Richard
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#45 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:55 pm

I wouldn't trade 2 first rounders, Rashad McCants (lottery), and a near-first round pick (31 overall) for Kevin Love. Or OJ Mayo for that matter. I would do that deal for Derrick Rose and Derrick Rose alone.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#46 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:25 pm

I would roll the dice and take my chances that the Boston and Miami picks are late first rounders, unlikley to contribute significantly. We know Love will be a solid player.
LA_33
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by LA_33 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:29 pm

The Wolves can't trump the Knicks' supposed offer for #5, because the Grizz want a PF (which is why they're supposedly targeting Love) and the Knicks can offer a relatively similar player, plus a well-matched salary dump; Malik Rose makes $1M more than Cardinal this year, with the Knicks presumably sending $3M the other way to make up the difference (plus $2M for Heisley's trouble).

The Wolves would have to use Walker as the salary match, and he makes nearly $3M more than Cardinal, plus they don't have a Love-lite PF to offer as the talent portion of the swap (if they did, they'd be using that guy next to Al now, and would be targeting Mayo at #3).

I do think there's a potential fit for the Wolves to get involved in that swap as a 3rd team, though, offering Mayo to the Knicks, and ending up with 5 and 6. If the Grizz are still balking at the initial swap, or if the Knicks want a little more than #3 to give up 5 and 6, the Wolves have some lesser assets available to grease the wheels (one of the 2nds, Boston's 2009 1st, etc.)

If the Wolves were to end up with 5 and 6, they'd be looking at two of the four guys they supposedly have ranked after Rose and Beasley. Love and Gallinari would be the preference, I'd think, with Lopez instead of Love if Love somehow went 4th. That's pretty damn appealing, especially if there's an truth to the rumors that McHale is considering taking Love at #3 with Mayo still on the board...
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#48 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:41 pm

What the heck, if we cant get the #5 directly and have to settle for going through NY and getting 5 and 6, we might as well get greedy and ask for Cardinal to come here and send Jaric to NY. May as well trim a year of salary while we're at it. You cant tell me NY would call that a deal breaker.
LA_33
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by LA_33 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:What the heck, if we cant get the #5 directly and have to settle for going through NY and getting 5 and 6, we might as well get greedy and ask for Cardinal to come here and send Jaric to NY. May as well trim a year of salary while we're at it. You cant tell me NY would call that a deal breaker.

I think they would, actually. Cardinal expires after the 2009-2010 season, when they want cap room to go after LeBron (or Wade, or Bosh) while Jaric has another year under contract after that.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#50 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:57 pm

andyhop wrote:Walker/McCants for Cardinal/Collins and #5 works.
Walker/McCants for Cardinal and a signed #5 works as well if the Grizz picked for us.

I would do either one of those trades. Additionally if the Knicks were serious about moving Curry or others for cap room and would include #6, I'd also do Walker and #34 (might have to be one of the Boston/Miami picks though) for Curry and #6.

Then I'd take Mayo and Lopez.
Foye, Mayo, Gomes, Al, and Curry with Telfair, McCants, Brewer, and Lopez off the bench would be a nice nucleus.

I think Lee is a solid player, but not enough to move down from #3. He's a quality backup PF and could probably start if he had a strong enough 1-3 and C around him, but Al at C and Lee at PF doesn't seem like a good scenario.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#51 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:58 pm

I'd take a hard stand....worst case scenario is MN winds up with Mayo. NY still has a way to go to get under the cap by then anyway.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#52 » by shrink » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:14 pm

McCants is universally looked down upon by most posters on the Trade Board, and I think that probably represents a good cross-sample of fans across the nation. However, David Lee is not viewed much better, as either a borderline starter or a sixth man because they say he's soft.

If Marc Gasol is as good as advertised, then they need to look at spending so much money on Darko. He makes $7 mil this year, and $7.6 mil next season, and clearly, the Knicks deal (and the Gasol deal) show that the key thing for Memphis cutting salary to make the team easier to sell to a new buyer.

Our offer should be to take both Darko (who we could actually get some use out of) and Cardinal + #5 for Walker and McCants.

Cardinal 6,300,000 6,750,000
Darko M 7,000,000 7,665,158
#5 Pick. 2,284,900 2,456,200 2,627,600

A Walker 9,052,460
McCants 2,620,126 (3,644,595 -qo)
------------------------------------------------------
Savings $3.93 mil 2008-09
Savings $16.87mil 2009-10 ... (plus future guaranteed payments to #5)
---------------------------------------------------------
McCants and $20 mil in savings

That deal gets the job done. We could probably even get by offering Buckner + #34 instead of McCants.

MEM can decide whether to offer McCants a QO. Walker's willingness to get bought out even enhances the deal for them, and gives them a chance to save even mroe money.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves