Somewhat Breaking News

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Somewhat Breaking News 

Post#1 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 am

I was listening to ESPN Radio on my way home and they had Andy Katz on. Katz is reporting that the Heat are seriously considering taking Mayo with the #2 pick. After they worked him out yet again today, they are more enamored with him.

Katz is more of a college guy, but from my experience with his work, he's one of the most reliable ESPN guys.

Which means, I will wet my pants on Thursday if we get Beasley.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
collin_k41
Analyst

Re: Somewhat Breaking News 

Post#2 » by collin_k41 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 am

It's more likely that beasley will wet his pants. Anybody see that video of him watching the nba lottery? He was soo happy that minnesota wasn't in the top 2 and he called his friend and was like no i'm not going to sota'. How cold is it there right now? Why do you want me to go to minnesota? Are you there right now? Something like that. Anyways I kinda got the vibe he doesn't want to come to play here.

Seriously though I'd be happy with beasley.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:57 am

Yea it seems like he would be REALLY unhappy to come here, though his teammate wants him too, lol. I would be happy that we could get a physically dominant forward but I think he is the most likely of any to reject Minnesota.

I like how ESPN decided to show that little phone convo clip every time they went to a commercial.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#4 » by cpfsf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:12 am

4ho5ive wrote:Yea it seems like he would be REALLY unhappy to come here, though his teammate wants him too, lol. I would be happy that we could get a physically dominant forward but I think he is the most likely of any to reject Minnesota.

lol, just draft Bill Walker

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#5 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:15 am

As long as he doesn't pull a Marbury and he has the right attitude he's very welcome. I think once he gets here he will change his tune. I will be pissed if he screws us though.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:27 am

collin_k41 wrote:It's more likely that beasley will wet his pants. Anybody see that video of him watching the nba lottery? He was soo happy that minnesota wasn't in the top 2 and he called his friend and was like no i'm not going to sota'. How cold is it there right now? Why do you want me to go to minnesota? Are you there right now? Something like that. Anyways I kinda got the vibe he doesn't want to come to play here.

Seriously though I'd be happy with beasley.

4ho5ive wrote:Yea it seems like he would be REALLY unhappy to come here, though his teammate wants him too, lol. I would be happy that we could get a physically dominant forward but I think he is the most likely of any to reject Minnesota.

I like how ESPN decided to show that little phone convo clip every time they went to a commercial.

There was a thread about this already. It was pretty much agreed that Beasley considers himself a top two pick. Its not that he doesn't want to go to Minnesota, he just believes he's not going to fall past #2.

His statement: "I'm not going to Minnesota" can only be interpreted one way...
He's not coming to Minnesota because he won't be there at #3 for us to pick him. If he said "I don't want to go to Minnesota", then I would be worried. But its also pretty obvious that he's joking with his friend on the phone.

Here's the discussion: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=815356
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#7 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:30 am

Ford just updated an article 5 minutes ago on ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008 ... id=3459696

This is crazy stuff. Beasley AND Jefferson would be awesome
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#8 » by MN Die Hard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:38 am

IF Miami really is sold on Mayo and wants him at #2 (rather than trading down and risk losing him altogether) what about MN offering some small incentive like pick #31 to swap 2 and 3 with Miami?

Again...IF Miami is taking Mayo anyway, they see this as a win because they get their guy and an additional pick. MN wins because they ensure Miami doesnt trade the pick elsewhere, and it only cost them a second rounder.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#9 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:39 am

"If the Wolves really want Beasley, perhaps a return of the Heat's first round pick and/or Brewer could make it happen."

Seems like a bit much, yeah?

My head is spinning Beasley, Mayo, and Gallinari.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#10 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:42 am

Its simple. Beasley+Jefferson would be awesome.

Mayo+Jefferson would be awesome
ChazzleDazzle
Junior

Post#11 » by ChazzleDazzle » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:42 am

On the other hand, on the Pulse they interviewed the Miami beat writer and he basically said Miami is so secretive that anything you've heard can almost be automatically discounted as a smokescreen. Not that they won't make a deal, or that they're not in love with a specific player, but if they've said something about it, it's BS.

He might not know any better than anyone else, but that's just another take on the whole situation. For the record, his gut was that they're going to take Beasley and keep him.
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#12 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:47 am

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Its simple. Beasley+Jefferson would be awesome.

Exactly. I'm not worried. To tell the truth Beasley might even get us a better package in a trade down if that's the way we're looking. But Beasley and Jefferson upfront would be great.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:55 am

Thanks for posting the link D1SGRUNTL3D. I looked for one but they didn't have one up yet when I made this thread. I would so do either second rounder to move up one spot. However, I would rather keep Brewer and the 09 Heat first rounder, stay put at #3 and call their bluff. If they really want Mayo, then they should just take him outright. If they really want Mayo AND assets, they're just going to have to accept what we're offering because Mayo won't get past us. Miami has no realistic trading partner besides us if they want Mayo.

If they're really high on Mayo and Bayless, Seattle is the furthest team down they can trade with. For the longest time, Bayless was a lock to go to Seattle. However in the last couple of days, that has changed a bit. However, I can still see him going there. At the least, they can force Miami to trade Beasley for Bayless + fillers because Miami doesn't really want Beasley and Seattle has the player they want. Same goes for us.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#14 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:02 am

ChazzleDazzle wrote:On the other hand, on the Pulse they interviewed the Miami beat writer and he basically said Miami is so secretive that anything you've heard can almost be automatically discounted as a smokescreen. Not that they won't make a deal, or that they're not in love with a specific player, but if they've said something about it, it's BS.

He might not know any better than anyone else, but that's just another take on the whole situation. For the record, his gut was that they're going to take Beasley and keep him.

I dont see how Riley bashing Beasley for a little under a month and hyping up Mayo and now apparently Bayless could be considered a smokescreen. What does he gain by bad mouthing Beasley??
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#15 » by AQuintus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:04 am

karch34 wrote:
D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Its simple. Beasley+Jefferson would be awesome.

Exactly. I'm not worried. To tell the truth Beasley might even get us a better package in a trade down if that's the way we're looking. But Beasley and Jefferson upfront would be great.

Not only would it more than likely lead to better packages trading down, but it might even open the door to trading with Chicago for Rose. If this report is true, this would open up a lot of really interesting possibilities for Minnesota
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,919

Post#16 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:08 am

I'm starting to turn around on Beasley. I used to hate the idea of him coming here, now I'm starting to see a bit I like.

I used to hate the comparison to Anthony, but I'm starting to like. Both are bigger SFs, smaller PFs (I know Anthony doesn't play PF, but I think he could in spot duty). Both are same size (Beasley half-inch taller, about 5 lbs heavier), volume scorers, pretty good rebounders (Anthony averaged 10 rpg at Syracuse), who are better in the post and mid-range, and do have some red flags.

Think of this. If we played Beasley at SF, the perfect complementary player on defense would be Corey Brewer because Beasley wouldn't have to guard the opponents' best wing player.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#17 » by the_bruce » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:08 am

SEA will get Beasly for Bayless + picks aquired from phx?

It's really unfortunate we don't have the trade assets to get anything done.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:09 am

klomp44 wrote:I'm starting to turn around on Beasley. I used to hate the idea of him coming here, now I'm starting to see a bit I like.

I used to hate the comparison to Anthony, but I'm starting to like. Both are bigger SFs, smaller PFs (I know Anthony doesn't play PF, but I think he could in spot duty). Both are same size (Beasley half-inch taller, about 5 lbs heavier), volume scorers, pretty good rebounders (Anthony averaged 10 rpg at Syracuse), who are better in the post and mid-range, and do have some red flags.

Think of this. If we played Beasley at SF, the perfect complementary player on defense would be Corey Brewer because Beasley wouldn't have to guard the opponents' best wing player.

I invite you to sip the juice friend. BTW, I did a huge writeup about Beasley: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=816429
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:13 am

bruceallen61 wrote:SEA will get Beasly for Bayless + picks aquired from phx?

It's really unfortunate we don't have the trade assets to get anything done.

I wouldn't think of it that way.

As much as I like Beasley (and I like him a lot right now) I don't think its worth it to mortgage our future (future picks (i.e. Heat first, Boston first) or young players (i.e. Brewer)) in order to move up just one spot and get Beasley. I would much rather stay put and take Mayo as a consolation prize if you will.

Mayo + Brewer and/or future firsts > Beasley.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,919

Post#20 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:18 am

Instead of Brewer, what about McCants?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves