ImageImageImage

Trading Walker

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Trading Walker 

Post#1 » by skorff26 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:04 pm

If we offer Walker a buyout again, and he refuses is their a team that would take him for another lesser money expiring.

I was thinking walker to cleveland for snow, we would save some money next year that we could use to stay out of the luxury tax
or walker for malik rose

My question is, Is there any team that would value Walker enough to take him on and pay him about 1 million more dollars than their expiring player, and if so what teams and players do you think it's feasible that we could get; obviously the player that we're getting back will be pretty much useless, but it would save money.
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Re: Trading Walker 

Post#2 » by Ojmayo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:08 pm

We should trade walker because he clearly does'nt want to be here and I honestly do think a team would pay for him because he has played in a champion team in 06.....We need him gone he has'nt done anything right and now we can draft Mayo.....
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#3 » by revprodeji » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Walker as an expiring has value in either a straight up trade or a 3 way trade. No point in cutting him unless he does it for very little.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,984

Post#4 » by shrink » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 pm

skorff26 wrote: My question is, Is there any team that would value Walker enough to take him on and pay him about 1 million more dollars than their expiring player, and if so what teams and players do you think it's feasible that we could get; obviously the player that we're getting back will be pretty much useless, but it would save money.

Well, he's guaranteed to be more productive than Snow, but CLE is over the lux so that $1.7 mil difference becomes a $3.4 mil difference. I like the concept though of an expiring-for expiring. How about NJN? They won't be getting anything out of Swift. Swift + Ager (barely) works at $7.24 mil. We have to pay Ager next year, but we save that much this year to afford it?

Personally, I'm all for trading him to MEM. No other team right now values expirings as much as the Grizzlies. I believe they'd trade Darko's two year deal and a a prospect like Crittendon, Lowry, or McKie's unguaranteed contract for it right now. Moreover, I think id we added McCants and took back Cardinal, they'd give us the #5.

To me, getting the right player to the team that values him most is the way to get the most out of the contracts, and right now, MEM pays the most for a big expiring.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#5 » by deeney0 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:50 pm

There is point to cutting him if he accepts a small buyout. If they trade him, they have to take back at least 80% of his salary. If they buy him out, it could be less. Foyle's buyout last year was like 55% of his contract. I don't expect that sweet a deal, but there's millions on the table between 55% and 80% (well, over $2 mil anyway)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves