ImageImageImage

Acquiring Mid-to-Late 1sts

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

All Day
Sophomore
And1: 3

Acquiring Mid-to-Late 1sts 

Post#1 » by All Day » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:46 am

With the recent activity, the number of teams willing to deal their picks in this range is declining. Who are the teams you still see looking to make a move and what will it take? Or is it not necessary to acquire a mid-to-late 1st?

I think WAS is considering moving their pick (18th), taking in account the makeup of their lineup and concerns over $$$. I think if they feel they can't get a player who will be able to crack their rotation, then they will move the pick.

Seeing the CHA/DEN trade got me thinking. I'm not sure if it's been brought up on this board, but how about trading either the MIA or BOS future 1sts for a 1st this year? They could also be combined with 2nds or cash to make it work.

#18 for...
-a- MIA 1st
-b- BOS 1st
-c- BOS 1st w/ one of the #31 or #34
-d- #31 and #34 (discussed enough on this board but just throwing it out for value check)

There is a lot of value to be had at #18 or similar picks in the range. Any thoughts on these trades or any suggestions with other teams?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Re: Acquiring Mid-to-Late 1sts 

Post#2 » by shrink » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:03 am

WAS is quite likely, but its all based on what they can re-sign Arenas and Antawn Jamison to. If that leaves them right up next to the lux, they will have a lot of incentive to trade for a future pick or for second rounders, both of which can allow them to defer salary.

Another good target would be NJN at #21. They have an owner that is very sensitive to the lux, and may not want to have two guaranteed contracts, particularly with so much young talent on the roster right now. Unfortunately, they have a a lot of different ways they can go too, and we may have to wait on them.

Earlier today, I also posted DEN and NOH would be likely teams to get rid of their picks, and they are already gone. HOU (#25) might be a possibility, since they are over the lux, but I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish, and SA (#26) may have lux issues as well. McHale already has a relationship there, and we traded a TPE to get them under the lux last year. This would depend on how many vet free agents want to come play for SA, and how close it gets them to the lux. The last two picks may be able to be had for one second, the BOS pick, or even cash.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves