ImageImageImage

Reaction to interviews on DX...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Reaction to interviews on DX... 

Post#1 » by Jonathan Watters » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 am

I've talked to a lot of these guys at various places over the last couple of years, so it was pretty interesting to sit down and watch all the interviews, comparing situations and how the players react to them. I've got a few thoughts...

Rose - Rose's family has kept him very sheltered since he was in high school, and that shows here. He's very nervous, and is more concerned about not saying the wrong thing than just answering the question. I think over time he'll get over this, but it also brings to light just how important it is for him to go to Chicago. I think he would take a move across the country worse than a lot of these players, its a lucky chance for him that the Bulls won the lottery...

Beasley - Complete lockdown. Very obvious that his agent told him to say absolutely nothing - he certainly gave it his best shot, but he clearly isn't used to not being able to speak his mind. This is a shame, because in other situations he is a great interview. Very salty, very off the wall, very engaging. I suppose this is what happens when you film a draft diary video series, show some actual personality, and get blasted for it for the next week. Too bad...

Brook Lopez - Looked more at ease than anybody, and had some witty answers to some tough questions. Did a good job of coming off as a professional while still speaking his mind. What can I say, I'm smitten. :lol:

Jerryd Bayless - Very interesting interview. Reminds me of JJ Redick, in that he's definitely on the defensive with the media. Not as much as Redick who was ready to snap at anybody who asked a question the wrong way, but certainly willing to rifle off a two-word answer. I loved the questions about Arizona - he obviously hates Kevin O'Neill, given the lack of eye contact. He gave good eye contact to every reporter except for the two questions about O'Neill, for which he stared straight ahead off into space and used lines right off the cheat sheet. Articulate and extremely confident, which you have to like.

OJ Mayo - Like usual, Mayo comes off as very articulate and very unlike the player that the media tries to portray. Stuck to the script for the most part, maybe a little more uptight than I remember him.

Kevin Love - This guy knows how to give an interview. Not nervous in the least bit, sure of himself, and willing to give good answers to good questions. A total student of the game, started reeling off names of players and talking about their games when asked about specific teams. That is always impressive. This kid probably knocked the socks off McHale during the interview process...

Danilo Gallinari - Got very nervous when asked about what would happen if he fell a little bit. I'm surprised by that, because that would be the one thing you'd think his agent(s) would have prepared him for. Other than that, came off much more at ease than most of of the other players who actually got to speak in their native tongue. Seemed to enjoy talking about the NBA, which I like to see...

Russell Westbrook - Perfect example here of why "media day" type situations sometimes stink. Givony is trying to make a joke about how he almost ended up at Long Beach State and how far he has come since those days of being an unknown high school kid with no high-major offers, and Westbrook practically falls out of his shirt trying to make sure everybody knows he isn't ripping on Long Beach State. Obviously this kind of stuff goes with the territory, but in another situation he probably gets a good laugh out of it.

Eric Gordon - Very much the same interview as he was in high school. Comes off a bit nervous, almost self-conscious. But also gives the impression that he's attempting to answer the questions honestly, which is going to be endearing to certain people/teams. I don't know that he's gotten the same media training that some of the other high profile players have, but he really does seem like a good kid who just loves the game.

I thought Augustin, Rush and Randolph all did a good job. None of the three came off as nervous, though all three are obviously experienced in dealing with the media. A few decent tidbits sprinkled in if you are paying close attention. Randolph talking about Odom is quite telling as far as where he wants to be in his career, though he appears to be quite a ways away from that point.

Robin Lopez - I don't know what to say here. The exact opposite of his brother. Nervous, both in terms of his answers and his body language. Maybe this is the value of a good media coach, as Brook has likely been practicing since April and Robin might not have gotten much of that in rushing to so many workouts and despite what he said, probably not expecting to get the invite. That last answer rang of a promise to me...
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Re: Reaction to interviews on DX... 

Post#2 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:48 am

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA ... ari--2947/
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA ... etc--2948/

Here's the links to the videos, so far I've watched Love, Gallinari, Mayo and B. Lopez. I'm going to watch R. Lopez then I'll post my thoughts/reactions. Good interviews so far!
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#3 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:06 am

Man, Robin Lopez was all jitters. Interestingly he admitted that he would probably be a role player in the NBA. I mean, he's definitely right, but it's just not often that you actually hear a draft prospect say that. His answers seemed pretty vague and a lot like he just hadn't thought about it, like when asked what style of play he would like to be in and stuff like that. It was good to see that he's not disillusioned as to what his role will be in the NBA. He knows he's there for his defense and rebounding, so that's what he has to excel at.

Brook's interview, I agree, was much smoother, and actually kind of funny. I liked it when he said he was trying to emulate Robin's game more as he is such a good defender.

Interesting with Love and Mayo both giving each other votes of confidence as the probable Wolves pick at 3.

Gallinari is pretty well spoken with English as a second language.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#4 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:39 am

Jonathan Watters wrote:
Brook Lopez - Looked more at ease than anybody, and had some witty answers to some tough questions. Did a good job of coming off as a professional while still speaking his mind. What can I say, I'm smitten. :lol:

Wait a minute..... How did you interview yourself?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#5 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 am

Jon, I respect you, your information that you provide to us, but bro, you gotta get off Lopez' sac.
Frozen316
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Frozen316 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:34 am

Ooo videos, /me watches :D
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,062

Post#7 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Its always interesting to hear Mayo talk. You would think by the way he has been portrayed in the media that he is some punk, yet I find him to be very likable/marketable/smart/thoughtful type of guy.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#8 » by deeney0 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:21 pm

Yeah, if anything Mayo is coming off as too smooth.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#9 » by revprodeji » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:34 pm

People overrate this stuff, but it is fun anyway.

Gallinari does seem nervous. It could be a simple ESL issue. The media is overwhelming. Looking at his body position and how he shifts he is nervous.

Kevin love is a good kid. Just a good kid, good interview, good personality. I could see us liking him after a while. Wow, they threw the racial card at Love and he handled it well. Interesting that the first thing love says about Mayo is that he is hard to keep out of the lane. Yet something he is ripped on is that he does not drive enough. Kind of bummed they cut him off.

Mayo is good with people, he always speaks about working and getting better. I think he gets some bad views by people looking for bad things. I like his personaility.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#10 » by TMo519 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Of course Mayo speaks well, he's been working on this media thing since he was 13.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves