Jim Souhan Funny Article

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,938

Jim Souhan Funny Article 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:11 pm

The Star Tribune this week embedded a reporter in the Timberwolves' front office. It wasn't hard -- owner Glen Taylor has enlisted so many advisers, anyone wandering around Target Center with a clipboard will eventually be asked his opinion on O.J. Mayo's character.

Taylor believes in listening to a lot of voices, and not just the demonic ones in his head telling him to keep Kevin McHale employed.

Our embedded reporter attended a Wolves draft meeting last night. Here's the transcript:

Taylor: "We've got to hear from a lot of people tonight -- everyone take a number. This is gonna to take a while. Should we order food? Here, I've got a bunch of menus.''

McHale: "I want good ol' Minnesota-style hot dish.''

General Manager Jim Stack: "Pizza. Deep-dish. I worked in Chicago, you know. Taught Jordan everything he knows.''

Taylor: "Michael?''

Stack: "Fred. Great office skills. Hell of a Xeroxer.''

Assistant GM Fred Hoiberg: "I vote for take-out Chinese and a point guard.''

Assistant GM Rob Babcock: "I want Mexican food and a true center.''

Player personnel director Zarko Durisic: "I had nothing to do with any of the other drafts. Hear me? I was never here. And I want burgers.''

Taylor: "It's good to hear a lot of voices. I like that you're not all just agreeing with one another.''

McHale: "We're still going with hot dish. These guys never played the game. Wanna see my rings?''

Taylor: "I want to see the one you gave to Danny Ainge.''

Stack: "I had a great interview with Mayo. I think he's our guy. Like I told the papers, I could tell he was a stand-up guy because every time I asked about one of his problems, he said, 'I didn't do anything.' You don't find that kind of honesty in many kids these days.''

McHale: "You hear that from a lot of guys from Southern Cal named O.J.''

Taylor: "Kevin, any more outbursts from you and I'll reduce your lifetime contract. Instead of being good for your lifetime, it will be good only for my lifetime.''

McHale: "These guys don't know food or basketball. It's hot dish and Kevin Love. We get Love, and we will be following the path of many an NBA champion -- loading up on white centers from the Pac-10 who can't jump. Madsen needs someone he can guard in practice.''

Stack: "I like Mayo. The guy told me he reads the Bible in seven languages, helps the homeless and can solve the fuel crisis. And you know what? I looked into his eyes. I believe him.''

Hoiberg: "I figure whoever McHale likes is going to be a bust. So I vote for anybody other than Love.''

Taylor: "Good, so we have it narrowed down to hot dish, pizza, burgers, Chinese, Mexican, Mayo, Love or anybody but Love. But I don't think we've explored all the possibilities. We need more voices, so I brought back someone who is known for speaking his mind. Fellas, you remember Trader Jack McCloskey? We always knew where we stood with Jack.''

McHale, under his breath: "Yeah, last place.''

Taylor: "What's changed?''

McCloskey: "I like the Italian player, what's his name. We draft him, then I'll go to Italy to scout. You remember me -- I love travel. Any Hawaiian players in the draft? I love Hawaii. By the way, Laettner's still available.''

McHale: "I played with Larry Bird. Any of you jerks play with Larry Bird?''

Taylor: "Gentlemen, this has been informative, but it's getting late, and now all the restaurants are closed. At least I've got a box of saltines stashed away for just such an occasion.

"Isn't that an amazing coincidence? Every year, the night before the draft, we end up eating crackers.''

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolve ... tModules:5
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Re: Jim Souhan Funny Article 

Post#2 » by invno1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:23 pm

McHale sure gets no love, He has completly overhauled the Timberwolves in one year...Hassell, Blount, James, Davis...Timberwolves looked DOOMED. Then bring in the best low poster in the game. I dont get the sentiment.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Maybe it was the past ~10 years of stupidity that does it. I agree we are moving in the right direction, but one year doesnt make up for the past

Hoiberg: "I figure whoever McHale likes is going to be a bust. So I vote for anybody other than Love.'

Taylor: "Good, so we have it narrowed down to hot dish, pizza, burgers, Chinese, Mexican, Mayo, Love or anybody but Love."

That made LOL.
stop-n-pop
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by stop-n-pop » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:50 pm

I guess it's nice to know that Souhan reads Hoopus:

http://www.canishoopus.com/2008/6/23/55 ... aft-centra
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm

invno1 wrote:McHale sure gets no love, He has completly overhauled the Timberwolves in one year...Hassell, Blount, James, Davis...Timberwolves looked DOOMED. Then bring in the best low poster in the game. I dont get the sentiment.

You have to win more than 23 games before you start getting credit.
buzzbomb
Freshman

Post#6 » by buzzbomb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:12 pm

invno1 wrote:McHale sure gets no love, He has completly overhauled the Timberwolves in one year...Hassell, Blount, James, Davis...Timberwolves looked DOOMED. Then bring in the best low poster in the game. I dont get the sentiment.
It's the american, and the fake ass, Wolves fan way. It's a shortcut to thinking. Look at every single draft thread on any Wolves board and you will see at least two coments that simply state something like, "well it's McHale so we'll screw it up." Can't possibly argue the merits because they are not equipped.Take your ritalin children or society is DOOMED! And if you hate McHale then you want a trade down. He is clearly a better trader than drafter.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#7 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:38 pm

stop-n-pop wrote:I guess it's nice to know that Souhan reads Hoopus:

http://www.canishoopus.com/2008/6/23/55 ... ft-central

no, his site is more popular than yours, therefore YOU plagiarized HIM

its the journalism food chain, say word son
Blue Wolf
Junior
And1: 8

Post#8 » by Blue Wolf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:18 pm

buzzbomb wrote:
It's the american, and the fake ass, Wolves fan way. It's a shortcut to thinking. Look at every single draft thread on any Wolves board and you will see at least two coments that simply state something like, "well it's McHale so we'll screw it up." Can't possibly argue the merits because they are not equipped.Take your ritalin children or society is DOOMED! And if you hate McHale then you want a trade down. He is clearly a better trader than drafter.

McHale has made a fair share or even more than his fair share of mistakes.

That said -- he did an outstanding rebuild job when he took over and rid the team of cancers like Laettner and Rider; brought in vets like Mitchell and Porter; made excellent trades to acquire Gugliotta and Bobby Jackson (the West for Peeler move was also good at the time); and he used our high draft picks well in getting KG and Marbury in consecutive drafts. He was basically error-free his first two years on the job.

Had Marbury not been a complete idiot, I strongly believe we could have won championships with that core.

From my perspective, McHale's major blunders have happened outside of the rebuild process. Today, I am not only more optimistic about the Wolves than I have been in 3 years...I am much more comfortable with McHale as a GM.

P.S. Once the rebuild is over -- please, please, please retire.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#9 » by TMo519 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Very good points Blue Wolf, and I agree. 90% of McHale's blunders have occured post-Marbury and pre-Garnett trade (yes, I'm aware that's a long period of time lol). But like he said, when he was building this team up the first time, he did a great job IMO. Then, after Marbury screwed everything up, it seemed like he was grasping for straws kinda. Then he makes the nice deals to get Sammy and Spree, but then after that blew up in his face, he started getting truly desperate, making just terrible moves. For me, the Sam (plus a freakin' 1st) for Jaric and the idiotic contract with it is almost unforgivable. But ever since they made the decision to blow it up and try again, I haven't had a problem with any of his decisions.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,628

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:02 pm

I think its people that feel hurt, and can't get out of their old ways. It's cliche' to bash McHale, and nobody ever points out the good things he's done. He's the scapegoat for every negative thing that's ever happened to the Wolves.

This is exactly why I stopped going to RubeChat (except the last two days), and (sorry Stop-n-Pop) stopped reading Canis Hoopus. I want objectivism, not rehashed "Isn't McHale an idiot?" groupthink. I think RealGM is much better than you say, buzzbomb, though your comments would be very appropriate for most other wolves sites.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#11 » by MN Die Hard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Just the same old BS....not funny because we've seen it over and over and over again.

The joke about McHale getting a ring for his role in Boston's title this year is especially worn out already. Seriously, cant writers come up with some original material?

The past three years he was an idiot for not trading KG. Now he's an idiot because he traded him.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:19 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:
The past three years he was an idiot for not trading KG. Now he's an idiot because he traded him.

No one called McHale an idiot for not trading KG.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#13 » by MN Die Hard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
MN Die Hard wrote:

No one called McHale an idiot for not trading KG.

Not locally so much or on these boards, I mean the national media.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves