Re: Chalmers Traded 

Post#21 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:30 pm

I can't believe we traded Deandre Jordan for future 2nds and cash though
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Agreed Devilz. That #34 had so much potential and a good amount of value. We, essentially, wasted that pick and didn't help our frontline at all for next year. I am more tha ok with Pekovic from a value standpoint. I am sure the team we trade him to that will actually pay him will be very appreciative. Chalmers was decent value, but to not use that value to address the center situation was not a good move. This upset me when we drafted him as I figured it was for a trade. When I saw he went to Miami I was even more annoyed. Why help the team you are receiving a future pick from at a position of sizable need for them?

I wasn't huge on Jordan, but that was in the lotto. At #34 he is more than worth the risk.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#23 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:50 pm

andyhop wrote:Pekovic has reportedly signed for 4.5m Euros a year,which going from normal European reports would be the after tax figure.So basically $7m a year after tax plus House plus Car and possibly a Yacht ( which seems to be the latest fashion for the top Euro clubs)

There seems to be a question as to whether he has a buyout clause in his deal depending on which websites you read.

Hoiberg in an interview this morning said we could see him in 2 years.

Worm Guts wrote:Chalmers plays tough defense and shot 47% from 3 point range. Hollinger's statistical projections had him as the 2nd best point guard in the draft behind Augustin and almost everyone projected him to go in the first round.

We traded the 34th away before the choice was made. So it was miami's pick. Also, we want to resign Bassy. I like Chalmers a lot, I see him as a greg anthony type. But the front office likes Bassy, likes that we got 2 2nd rd picks and do not use a roster spot tonight.

TwolvesGeek wrote:The Chalmers trade proves that the Wolves intended to keep OJ Mayo. If the Grizzlies trade was worked out earlier, they would have kept Chalmers. Without that trade, he just adds to the glut of guards they had. I would have liked to have seen them keep Chalmers, as he should be a decent PG in a couple of years.

Not true. Look above, we traded the pick before they pick was made. Has nothing to do with mayo.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#24 » by TrentTuckerForever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:02 pm

revprodeji wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Chalmers plays tough defense and shot 47% from 3 point range. Hollinger's statistical projections had him as the 2nd best point guard in the draft behind Augustin and almost everyone projected him to go in the first round.

We traded the 34th away before the choice was made. So it was miami's pick. Also, we want to resign Bassy. I like Chalmers a lot, I see him as a greg anthony type. But the front office likes Bassy, likes that we got 2 2nd rd picks and do not use a roster spot tonight.

Whew. I finally have an opportunity to bash McHale. Improbably, I've been defending him all day. The front office likes Telfair as a change of pace PG behind Foye. But I actually think Chalmers is the better fit because he can shoot and defend. He could have a role like Eddie House had for the Celts this year, although I think he's more of a point than House.

Telfair was okay last year, but he can't shoot to save his life. I would have kept Chalmers over him.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#25 » by deeney0 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:28 am

I'm not sure I saw this anywhere on this board - the cash from Miami was $1.5 million - a lot more than I would've speculated.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#26 » by cpfsf » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:39 am

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/22195754.html?page=3&c=y

they accepted from Miami $2 million and two second-round picks in the 2009 draft, when they also potentially will have three first-round picks. They then drafted Kansas guard Mario Chalmers, hero of the NCAA championship game, for the Heat. The Wolves will receive the lower two from Miami's collection of three second-round picks that include the Heat's own as well as Philadelphia's and Indiana's next summer.

The Grizzlies called just after the Wolves agreed to the Miami trade. Before midnight struck, Mayo, Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner were Grizzlies. Suddenly, the Wolves now have just one point guard, Foye, under contract.

"Twenty minutes and Mayo and Marko and everybody was gone," McHale said. "That was the way it worked. We almost wanted to call Miami and see if we could take [Chalmers] back, but I don't think that would have worked."

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#27 » by Jonathan Watters » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:21 am

Are you freaking kidding me? Memphis called out of the blue and suddenly you are caught with your pants down at PG? That's beyond ridiculous. How long have we known about Memphis-Minnesota talks? And now McHale wants to act like he got a cold call 20 minutes after the pick and didn't see it coming? What a freaking joke!

We SHOULD have drafted our starting SG for the next decade with pick #34. But apparently our roster is so stocked with talent we don't need to add a player like that...
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#28 » by the_bruce » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Jonathan Watters wrote:Are you freaking kidding me? Memphis called out of the blue and suddenly you are caught with your pants down at PG? That's beyond ridiculous. How long have we known about Memphis-Minnesota talks? And now McHale wants to act like he got a cold call 20 minutes after the pick and didn't see it coming? What a freaking joke!

We SHOULD have drafted our starting SG for the next decade with pick #34. But apparently our roster is so stocked with talent we don't need to add a player like that...

I find it hard to believe too. the draft strategy doesnt work either. At the end of the 1st round(28 plus) when this all supposedly went down the following talented players were still available.

Pekovic, Dorsey, Chalmers, Jordan, Asik, Weaver, CDR, Walker, Hardin

I don't mind the Pekovic pick. But by this time imo the team should have zeroed in on Jordan based on roster makeup. The simple fact that they knew CDR and Chalmers would probably be available should have made them think twice. I'd like to see the team try and get CDR and/or Jordan post draft.
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#29 » by Carpe Diem » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:32 pm

So many of you let your hatred for McHale govern your view of every move: you simply hate it. If any other team had grabbed that big Euro center they would be seen as a genious. The ESPN guy said that this pick was the biggest lock in the draft. Yet many are bashing McHale because this kid told someone that he hated the NBA...as if no one on here would ever tell someone something they wanted to hear at a given moment....."yes, honey you are still hot!" No, that would never happen.

Chalmers was never our pick and many of you are creaming over not drafting the Jordan kid who averaged under 8 points per game and 6 rebounds. Why? Because of on line buzz created by agents/handlers/buds selling this kid as the next big thing. At one point he was projected to go at 8, just like a few years back Marj Lampe was projected to go at 2. Approximatley 25 other teams wiffed on Jordan. Should they be bashed? Perhaps upon doing "due diligence" something came up such as the kid has limited basketball ability and IQ. Sounds like another Stro Swift to me.

Basing your feelings of the TWolf organization over what happens or does not happen in the second round is just plain silly. As far as only having one pg under contract as of today is concerned, big deal. If the season started tomorrow then your angst would be understood, but we still have a few months to go.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:51 pm

I agree with Devilz that this seems like Taylor putting money in his own pocket. Its hard to win titles with guys like this.

Also Rev, I dont think you are giving Chalmers enough credit. He was talked about going as high as #12 to the Kings or even #20 to the Nugs had they kept the pick. He is beyond a career project PG/3rd string.

Add to the fact we didnt hand out a QO to Bassy and this REALLY makes no sense.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#31 » by Krapinsky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:54 pm

You guys seem to miss the fact that all the other teams passed on those players as well. They fell for a reason. Jordan and Hardin are big bodies with little basketball talent whatsoever. They're both going to be in the d-league and it's probably not a given they even stay in the league. Jordan could end up just like POB and we could resign him in two years when his options not picked up.

Yes Chalmers would have been nice, but at the time we thought we were going to keep Mayo. During the first round we asked for Miller and the Griz said no way. End of discussion. So we trade Chalmers, get some $ and future flexibility. The Griz come back and say, fine, you got us, you can have Miller. McHale is obviously blown away, he get's his favorite player in the draft and a prove vet at a postion of need who is only 28. He has to take the deal, so he pulls the trigger, obviously wishing he wouldn't have traded Chalmers. But what are you going to do? We got Nietzel. Portland still has four point guards. THe Griz now have 4 (counting Mayo). We can resign Bassy. They're our plenty of options out there. If Bassy doesn't resign, those two seconds very well could land Lowry. To me, no Chalmers is not that big of a deal at all.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#32 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:You guys seem to miss the fact that all the other teams passed on those players as well. They fell for a reason. Jordan and Hardin are big bodies with little basketball talent whatsoever. They're both going to be in the d-league and it's probably not a given they even stay in the league. Jordan could end up just like POB and we could resign him in two years when his options not picked up.

Yes Chalmers would have been nice, but at the time we thought we were going to keep Mayo. During the first round we asked for Miller and the Griz said no way. End of discussion. So we trade Chalmers, get some $ and future flexibility. The Griz come back and say, fine, you got us, you can have Miller. McHale is obviously blown away, he get's his favorite player in the draft and a prove vet at a postion of need who is only 28. He has to take the deal, so he pulls the trigger, obviously wishing he wouldn't have traded Chalmers. But what are you going to do? We got Nietzel. Portland still has four point guards. THe Griz now have 4 (counting Mayo). We can resign Bassy. They're our plenty of options out there. If Bassy doesn't resign, those two seconds very well could land Lowry. To me, no Chalmers is not that big of a deal at all.

It's not a huge deal but it's irritating. There were talented players left at 34 and McHale gave the pick away. Jordan has a huge upside for someone picked in 2nd round, I don't see any reason to pass up on that opportunity. Jordan probably turns into to nothing but I think it's a risk you have to take.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#33 » by casey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Let's get one thing straight, the pick was not given away. $2Mil and two 2nd rounders is a pretty good deal. I can see being upset if you really like Chalmers. I would've been pissed had we taken CDR and then done this trade. But we got pretty good value for that pick.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#34 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:38 pm

Well yeah, Taylors gotta make some money back.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#35 » by Jonathan Watters » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:You guys seem to miss the fact that all the other teams passed on those players as well. They fell for a reason. Jordan and Hardin are big bodies with little basketball talent whatsoever. They're both going to be in the d-league and it's probably not a given they even stay in the league. Jordan could end up just like POB and we could resign him in two years when his options not picked up.

No, Jordan wouldn't end up like POB. POB has a #9 pick salary committed to him. Jordan has nothing.

And as for the "everybody else passed on them" argument, I don't buy it anymore. Maybe back in 90's when 2nd rounders rarely if ever worked out, but now there is legit help coming out of the second round every year. Certain teams find huge value on a regular basis in the 2nd round. Many teams simply throw their picks away.

The Wolves are one of the most blatant "throw away" teams in recent years...

No anybody is a huge deal. There was first round talent left on the board, more of it than in most drafts. We basically sold a first round pick for cash. We aren't Phoenix or New Orleans. We are the freakin' Wolves.

This IS a big deal, folks.
casey
General Manager

Post#36 » by casey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Jonathan Watters wrote:Maybe back in 90's when 2nd rounders rarely if ever worked out, but now there is legit help coming out of the second round every year. Certain teams find huge value on a regular basis in the 2nd round.
We basically sold a first round pick for cash.

Either you're being very hypocritical, or you don't realize that we got two 2nd rounders in the deal.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#37 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:42 pm

casey wrote:
Jonathan Watters wrote:Maybe back in 90's when 2nd rounders rarely if ever worked out, but now there is legit help coming out of the second round every year. Certain teams find huge value on a regular basis in the 2nd round.

Either you're being very hypocritical, or you don't realize that we got two 2nd rounders in the deal.

Maybe he is being hypocritical but neither pick will be as high as #34 and the Wolves probably won't have room next year with possibly 3 first round picks.
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#38 » by MN Die Hard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:55 pm

I gotta admit that I'm ok with Taylor grabbing some cash in this deal, especially if it's true that its $2 million. That's a pretty good haul for the 34th pick when first rounders cannot got for more than $3 million. First, he's proven he'll spend when it looks like it will make a difference (e.g. Sam, Spree) and if I'm not mistaken McHale has said in the past that he has the ok to spend money if it will improve the team. Second, let's be realistic about Chalmers.....how much of a difference is he going to make? As fans we want to see the team acquire all the assets we can, but I just can't see him having THAT big of an impact. And no matter what we think about Glen Taylor the billionaire, $2 million is a lot of money. Perhaps we can cut him some slack now and allow him to put that money in his pocket with the expectation that he'll spend it when it really matters.
casey
General Manager

Post#39 » by casey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
casey wrote:

Maybe he is being hypocritical but neither pick will be as high as #34 and the Wolves probably won't have room next year with possibly 3 first round picks.

I haven't seen what picks exactly it will be, but from what I see they have their pick, Indiana's pick, and Philly's pick. All 3 of those teams suck. And if we won't have room next year, then what's the big deal? If the guy was only going to be around for one season anyways then why does anybody care that we traded him?
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#40 » by Jonathan Watters » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:16 pm

I don't think I'm being hypocritical at all. This draft didn't just stop at the end of the first round. There were some very good players who could have really helped this team. And management decided the team didn't need anymore help.

Think about this - do all the decent players run out at the same point every year? That's absolutely ridiculous. In fact, pick 31 is even better because you basically don't have to pay the player for two years. Great job for taking Pekovic, but this was a deep draft and 34 was probably a better spot to be in than 30. Would you folks have been happy if we traded away #30 for some cash for the owner?

Of course you wouldn't! You'd be looting in the streets!

Fact of the matter is that I can't think of a draft other than 2008 where CDR wouldn't have gone top 20. Same goes for DeAndre Jordan. Are you really satisfied with Minnesota selling a Top 20 pick that is actually more valuable since the financial commitment is significantly less?

Beyond this apparently hard to grasp bit of common sense, this draft was exceptionally deep in this area. If you think we are getting Chris Douglas Roberts or DeAndre Jordan with either of those picks we traded for, you are fooling yourself.

If we end up not having room for them, they obviously didn't pan out and Minnesota ends up losing one year's worth of the rookie minimum on a chance that he would have. Is this really so bad? If he does work out, we gladly piss away next year's pick, or use it to stash a foreign kid.

What am I missing here?

Consider: Monta Ellis was almost universally panned for coming out. Poor spring showing, lack of an NBA body, poor attitude. What would the Warriors' future look like if they had just sold their pick for a couple more picks they'd end up selling or pissing away on players that don't ever have a realistic chance of helping? (which is what the Wolves will do with the future 2nds)

The same thing can be said for Utah with CJ Miles. Now, he looks like a starting caliber wing and somebody who can help them out. I'm sure the Jazz would have been better off with an extra million bucks lying around?

I realize the WOlves aren't the only ones doing this, but it just drives me nuts!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves